Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 249986 times)

Espnthree

• View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #135 on: August 09, 2018, 10:50:48 PM »

so why did Meyer lie? Why shoot himself in the foot for no reason? The whole thing just doesn't make sense.

A lot of people will be coming back to that same question.

I have mixed feelings on it.  When I posted that earlier, I was sort of questioning the value of the Title IX requirement to report. 
There is none.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2018, 12:28:39 AM »

There is none.

The ability to nitpick on semantics and contradict everything someone else says is not really a life skill. 

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2018, 12:29:14 AM »

Yes it is...

Just thought I would save you the trouble.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2018, 01:52:09 AM »

Yes it is...

Just thought I would save you the trouble.
Suit yourself.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2018, 08:34:49 AM »

There is none.

The ability to nitpick on semantics and contradict everything someone else says is not really a life skill.
I wasted three years and $100,000 in early 80s dollars then.

There are no Title IX implications to the Smith issue, because it does not cover the treatment of the wives of University employees.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 10, 2018, 09:57:51 AM »

so why did Meyer lie? Why shoot himself in the foot for no reason? The whole thing just doesn't make sense.

I have mixed feelings on it.  When I posted that earlier, I was sort of questioning the value of the Title IX requirement to report.  I'm not sure it would have helped the lady in any way if he did.

And while it is easy to think a cover up may be happening, I also know there is really no way to keep that quiet in the long run.  If the folks at OSU are trying to create a fake paper trail, their punishment in the long term when that came out would be much, much worse.  And they are certainly smart enough to understand that...so I tend to doubt it is happening that way.

...now marketing to public opinion is another matter.

Hell, maybe it's as simple as Meyer really is just that stupid. Or arrogant. Or both.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 10, 2018, 10:00:02 AM »

There is none.

LOL

Hasan CHOP!

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 10, 2018, 10:23:21 AM »

I have mixed feelings on it.  When I posted that earlier, I was sort of questioning the value of the Title IX requirement to report.

I think his contract requires him to report it. Title IX doesn't.

Going by that I assume if he knew his neighbor was abusing his wife he would also be obligated, under his contract, to report that too. But I could be wrong.

The bigger question is what the next guy up the chain is required to do. I'm assuming the OSU policy requires him to boot it upstairs too.

And the biggest question then would be when it gets to Olympus what happens then?

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 10, 2018, 10:40:31 AM »

There are no Title IX implications to the Smith issue, because it does not cover the treatment of the wives of University employees.

If that is the case why did they bother suspending him? There is certainly no crime involved on his part.  Just public opinion?  If so, they are proceeding just as you would expect.   Like I said originally -- I fully expect him to be back on the job soon.

...I can hear Casey asking ...then why did he lie?    The only reason seems to be one of character. 

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 10, 2018, 10:44:23 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10211886876396166&id=1498798014

OSU's counter offensive in the court of public opinion continues...

14 days is plenty of time to turn things around.

Interesting read.

Once again I ask, so why did Meyer lie? Why shoot himself in the foot for no reason? The whole thing just doesn't make sense.
For what it is worth I found his explanation for the lie unpersuasive. But if he followed the proper reporting policy he will not.get.fired, and should not.

It may be as.simple as putting the story behind him without subjecting OSU to additional lingering scrutiny about their response. A response which is really lacking in the current zeitgeist.

Fair enough.

As to the should not get fired we disagree. That much is obvious to anyone here that isn't comatose. Anyone seen JB lately BTW?

And also, 'for what it's worth',

Meyer can also be fired for an act that puts either him or the university: “into public disrepute, embarrassment, contempt, scandal or ridicule or failure by Coach to conform Coach's personal conduct to conventional and contemporary standards of good citizenship, with such conduct offending prevailing social mores and values and/or reflecting unfavorably upon Ohio State's reputation and overall primary mission and objectives, including but not limited to, acts of dishonesty, misrepresentation, fraud or violence that may or may not warrant criminal prosecution by the relevant authorities.”

zeitgeist, funny shit.

The 100k$ joke was funny too.

You're still a dick.

Sometimes.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 10, 2018, 10:57:27 AM »

If that is the case why did they bother suspending him?

They didn’t.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 10, 2018, 11:15:52 AM »

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 10, 2018, 11:22:59 AM »

They didn’t.
I believe the "him" was Meyer. Pretty clear from the part of the post you deleted.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 10, 2018, 11:52:22 AM »

They didn’t.

Again, ludicrous semantics on your part.

It makes you appear petty.  Is that your intention?

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 10, 2018, 11:52:33 AM »

They didn’t.
I believe the "him" was Meyer. Pretty clear from the part of the post you deleted.
The point is Meyer was not suspended.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 329