Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 250507 times)

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #360 on: September 10, 2018, 03:14:14 PM »

The refs totally screwed us.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 10, 2018, 07:46:15 PM »

Hard fought game, good spectator game. Both teams can hold their heads up high just like the Clem/A&M game.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 11, 2018, 03:24:48 PM »

Hard fought game, good spectator game. Both teams can hold their heads up high just like the Clem/A&M game.
Nonetheless,  the refs screwed us. I could not be more certain of this if I had actually seen the game. Literally.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 11, 2018, 04:08:01 PM »

That's the only way anyone can lose to a Herm Edwards-"coached" team.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 11, 2018, 11:06:24 PM »

Huh?

jbottle

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 12, 2018, 12:17:02 AM »

It’s a dog whistle.

Herm is black.

He “coached” the winning team to play to win the game.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 12, 2018, 03:45:49 AM »

Good one! Herm's not much of a coach.  I've been using "coach" in quotes for years, likely from before you were born, and its use has been for all sports and its gently sarcastic tone  knows no racial boundaries. See my comments on "Coach" Mark Richt, one-time Clemson "mastermind"  Rick Barnes and a host of others. I could well be wrong in my assessment of these guys' coaching "ability" but it sure ain't because of race.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 06:59:56 AM by Yankguy1 »
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 12, 2018, 05:44:47 PM »

Nonetheless,  the refs screwed us. I could not be more certain of this if I had actually seen the game. Literally.

Ditto
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

jbottle

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 12, 2018, 06:38:42 PM »

Good one! Herm's not much of a coach.  I've been using "coach" in quotes for years, likely from before you were born, and its use has been for all sports and its gently sarcastic tone  knows no racial boundaries. See my comments on "Coach" Mark Richt, one-time Clemson "mastermind"  Rick Barnes and a host of others. I could well be wrong in my assessment of these guys' coaching "ability" but it sure ain't because of race.

Ok, I’ll come off the racist charge then, but Herm “WON THE GAME.”

I think they had SCOREBOARDS before I was born, so you are familiar of how points are tallied, etc.

Rick Barnes beat Dean Smith in Wilmington, NC, on consecutive dunks.  I was there.  He can coach.  He lived halfway up Michael Dell hill in Austin by selling snake oil.  Maybe.  But he got there, ‘coach,” you should be an AD somewhere if you are such a good judge of intelligence and competence from the cheap seats, “coach,” how long did you say you’ve been making that joke?

Let me suggest:  “Too...”

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 12, 2018, 06:51:05 PM »

Ah. The ol' "if you know so much you should be X" line of attack. Makes posting here, or anywhere, a waste of time I guess. Okay, you win: every coach is good and every AD is wise. Kind of a twist on ESPN3's "every ref is good and every call is right" way of doing things.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 06:54:28 PM by Yankguy1 »

jbottle

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 13, 2018, 12:35:29 AM »

Yep

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 13, 2018, 07:12:16 PM »

Ok, I’ll come off the racist charge then, but Herm “WON THE GAME.”

I think they had SCOREBOARDS before I was born, so you are familiar of how points are tallied, etc.

Rick Barnes beat Dean Smith in Wilmington, NC, on consecutive dunks.  I was there.  He can coach.  He lived halfway up Michael Dell hill in Austin by selling snake oil.  Maybe.  But he got there, ‘coach,” you should be an AD somewhere if you are such a good judge of intelligence and competence from the cheap seats, “coach,” how long did you say you’ve been making that joke?

Let me suggest:  “Too...”

Even though I've never met the dude, I can just about guarantee that there isn't a racist bone in YankGuy's body. He's probably the most fair minded guy in here. Racism just isn't in his makeup.

That being said, I lean more in your direction that Herm Edwards is a good coach. I don't think the guy made a particularly great Pro Football coach, much like Nick Saban. But some guys are better off being in the college coaching ranks. I think the college ranks can better support a variety of coaching styles than the Pro ranks.

As to coaching 'styles' I don't think you could have two more different guys than Edwards and Saban.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 13, 2018, 07:21:09 PM »

Not necessary, but thanks just the same Cap'n. Kind words always appeciated.

jbottle

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 14, 2018, 01:25:16 PM »

I withdrew the racism remark once he gave the comment a more broad context.

Coaches also have different skill sets of course, I see Herm as a motivator and leader of men, creating a culture of high expectation from you and of your “brothers.”  In a much more subdued way, that’s Dabo’s strength, culture, particularly one that recruits well.

I think that’s critical in football, whereas, say, in basketball, sets, plays, substitutions, clock management, etc., are easier to discern by the average fan, that is, whether a coach is good or bad at it.  Most football games are largely won or lost before the teams take the field, conditioning, confidence, skill, preparation.

Didn’t mean to take the token racist honor from Utley, even for one post.  He has bad mean streak of regional bigotry as well, sad.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 14, 2018, 08:57:38 PM »

Liking Rutgers getting 3 at Kansas

and T Tech home to HOU, getting 1.5.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 329