Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 250110 times)

Driver125

• View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #585 on: October 01, 2018, 04:40:29 AM »

And so he just plain got out thought by the OSU DC.
Well, there is such a thing as over-thinking the situation, as in “OSU thinks we will be giving the ball to McSorley (whom, for the most part, they haven’t stoped all night), so we’ll just fool them and give it to the guy that they have controlled….” As we saw, not exactly a recipe for success. You’re right though, it was a great play by the OSU kid….still, I have to go with McSorley, considering the kind of game he was having. It’s like a pitcher in baseball getting beat on his second best pitch. You got a 100 mile an hour heater you stake the game on that. Everyone knows it’s coming, so beat it if you can. McSorley was killing them all night long, so I take my chances with him, even if they know what’s coming. But, hindsight is always 100%.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: October 01, 2018, 08:57:44 AM »

And so he just plain got out thought by the OSU DC.
Well, there is such a thing as over-thinking the situation, as in “OSU thinks we will be giving the ball to McSorley (whom, for the most part, they haven’t stoped all night), so we’ll just fool them and give it to the guy that they have controlled….” As we saw, not exactly a recipe for success. You’re right though, it was a great play by the OSU kid….still, I have to go with McSorley, considering the kind of game he was having. It’s like a pitcher in baseball getting beat on his second best pitch. You got a 100 mile an hour heater you stake the game on that. Everyone knows it’s coming, so beat it if you can. McSorley was killing them all night long, so I take my chances with him, even if they know what’s coming. But, hindsight is always 100%.

I agree that is the guy I wanted to see make a play. But not running. If you watch that last play closely the Buckeyes had McSorley covered too. As the runner was getting stuffed two not one OSU guys were right on him inside and out.

No, the play I had in mind for the yardage needed was a pass play. As I said I don't have a problem with the play called. In any play you still have to execute, you still have to make your blocks. That is where the Lions failed, not in the play call. I just thought a play fake pass play was better suited for what OSU was doing. That might have still failed but I liked our tall wide receiver going up and getting one against the Buckeye corner more than any running play it that particular situation. IMO OSU was not going to let McSorley beat them with his feet by what I saw on that last play.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

Driver125

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: October 01, 2018, 11:42:05 AM »

IMO OSU was not going to let McSorley beat them with his feet by what I saw on that last play.
Quite so…..but having him surrounded and getting a hold of him are two different things, as he was able to demonstrated throughout the game. Plus, with the ball in his hands he could have chosen the pass option. One of those little slants over the middle might have proven to work pretty well, or throwing off of the scramble if the defense was able to cut off his running options. I say when you have a talent like him in your arsenal you go with it (your best pitch). You don’t go with a second best option, just because you think you might fool the other team, because the way McSorley was playing that night you don’t need to try a different option. Let it all ride on the guy who got you there. But, really, this is all just would have, could have, should have been. OSU won the game and they deserved to. I am sure a lot of the PSU fans thought they had control of the situation through most of the game. Compared to their previous performances OSU did not look to be playing up to par (with kudos to Penn State). But when it came to the last 8 minutes of the game, Ohio dominated and took the game, leaving most PSU fans, I’m sure, with a Whaaaaat? What happened? We lost? How the F*** did that happen? sort of feeling.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 11:44:54 AM by Driver125 »

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: October 01, 2018, 12:22:39 PM »

IMO OSU was not going to let McSorley beat them with his feet by what I saw on that last play.
Quite so…..but having him surrounded and getting a hold of him are two different things, as he was able to demonstrated throughout the game. Plus, with the ball in his hands he could have chosen the pass option. One of those little slants over the middle might have proven to work pretty well, or throwing off of the scramble if the defense was able to cut off his running options. I say when you have a talent like him in your arsenal you go with it (your best pitch). You don’t go with a second best option, just because you think you might fool the other team, because the way McSorley was playing that night you don’t need to try a different option. Let it all ride on the guy who got you there. But, really, this is all just would have, could have, should have been. OSU won the game and they deserved to. I am sure a lot of the PSU fans thought they had control of the situation through most of the game. Compared to their previous performances OSU did not look to be playing up to par (with kudos to Penn State). But when it came to the last 8 minutes of the game, Ohio dominated and took the game, leaving most PSU fans, I’m sure, with a Whaaaaat? What happened? We lost? How the F*** did that happen? sort of feeling.
Franklin,as the CFB version of Jose "Useless Pile of Horse Excrement" Mesa. Discuss.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: October 01, 2018, 12:34:04 PM »

No.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: October 01, 2018, 12:58:18 PM »

Franklin,as the CFB version of Jose "Useless Pile of Horse Excrement" Mesa. Discuss.
Two years in a row his teams blow multiple touchdown leads in the 4th quarter and final fourth down efforts are blown up by the OSU defense with PSU closing in on field goal territory.
I see your point.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: October 01, 2018, 02:00:39 PM »

Trivia:

Who was coaching Jan 1 2011 for the Spartans.

No wait that would make that guy a starter that never got out of the first inning I suppose. Anyhoo,(15th ranked in the BCS?)Blowing it comes in all sorts of packages.

Discuss.

Next up Jan 8th 2007. Double edged sword for me on that one though. But what the heck.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: October 01, 2018, 02:32:46 PM »

Trivia:

Who was coaching Jan 1 2011 for the Spartans.

No wait that would make that guy a starter that never got out of the first inning I suppose. Anyhoo,(15th ranked in the BCS?)Blowing it comes in all sorts of packages.

Discuss.

Next up Jan 8th 2007. Double edged sword for me on that one though. But what the heck.
So you are equating getting blown out by a superior team playing at its best with a team that by all measures should have won making a bad play call that sealed the loss? Other than using baseball for the analogy I fail to see any connection.

Mesa had a world class fastball and a second rate slider. At a crucial point in the 9th inning of Game 7, Mesa three times shook of Alomar's fastball call to throw his slider, feeling the batter would be sitting fastball. That Charles Johnson could not catch up to his fastball if he was sitting on it from 70' 7" did not enter into his thinking. Instead Mesa became the first person, and one of only two in history (Mariano Rivera, so good company) to blow a.9th inning Game 7 save, on his second best pitch.

Franklin saw a shift in OSU's defense that told him he had five blockers on four linemen, and called a play for that alignment, forgetting, first, OSU's four linemen had been playing in their backfield all game, and second the wise maxim that in crucial situations think players, not plays. He relied on his second best offensive player, and it cost him the chance to win the game. Hence the analogy with Mesa, borrowing driver's idea.

I am unaware of any game MSU played in January of 2007. Basketball?

Driver125

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: October 01, 2018, 02:34:47 PM »

I saw a little clip of McSorley at a post game news conference where he refused to throw Franklin under the bus, and I can understand that. As I get it, Franklin is quite popular with his players, and understandably so. Think of the job he had to do to get star players to come to PSU again after the kind of scandal they had there. “Uh, no coach, I think I”ll just take advantage of one of the many other offers I have had from top schools who have not had this kind of hideous scandal occur at their institutions.”
This thing reminded me of one of those Life imitating Art situations…..the movie Hoosiers. The coach (Hackman) calls a time out before the final play and explains to his team that he wants to use their reluctant star (Jimmy) as a decoy and then have someone else take the final shot. The team hems and haws and stare at their sneakers…..Hackman screams at them “What’s wrong?” Whereupon Jimmy speaks up and says “Give me the ball….I’ll make the shot”…..and so, in the movie, he did. That’s how guys like McSorley are…..It isn’t arrogance or ego….They believe in themselves and almost always believe that, all things being equal, they will ‘make the shot’ or the play. And this guy has proven it all the way through high school and at his career at PSU.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: October 01, 2018, 02:40:35 PM »

Really, I was probably just trying to take advantage of the opportunity to type "Jose 'Useless Pile of Horse Manure Mesa". It has been a while. Scratching an itch.

Driver125

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: October 01, 2018, 02:47:34 PM »

Jose "Useless Pile of Horse Excrement" Mesa. Discuss.
Nobody was calling Jose Mesa a pile of shit the year before, when he was nearly untouchable. I was noticing during that World Series year that he was not quite the same as the year before—that he was no longer cable of appearing night after night and still have the kind of effectiveness that he had before. As I remember that game in Miami, he had pitched the night before the final game, and when it came to the point of game 7 where it was time to bring in a closer, I was screaming at my TV screen “Don’t use Mesa tonight—use Mike Jackson", who was almost a co-closer with Mesa that year. But no…they went with Mesa and the team and Mesa forever paid the price.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 02:49:51 PM by Driver125 »

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: October 01, 2018, 02:48:13 PM »

I saw a little clip of McSorley at a post game news conference where he refused to throw Franklin under the bus, and I can understand that. As I get it, Franklin is quite popular with his players, and understandably so. Think of the job he had to do to get star players to come to PSU again after the kind of scandal they had there. “Uh, no coach, I think I”ll just take advantage of one of the many other offers I have had from top schools who have not had this kind of hideous scandal occur at their institutions.”
This thing reminded me of one of those Life imitating Art situations…..the movie Hoosiers. The coach (Hackman) calls a time out before the final play and explains to his team that he wants to use their reluctant star (Jimmy) as a decoy and then have someone else take the final shot. The team hems and haws and stare at their sneakers…..Hackman screams at them “What’s wrong?” Whereupon Jimmy speaks up and says “Give me the ball….I’ll make the shot”…..and so, in the movie, he did. That’s how guys like McSorley are…..It isn’t arrogance or ego….They believe in themselves and almost always believe that, all things being equal, they will ‘make the shot’ or the play. And this guy has proven it all the way through high school and at his career at PSU.
It is like setting up an out of bounds play for.Horace Grant with 3 seconds left in Game.7.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: October 01, 2018, 02:50:21 PM »

Jose "Useless Pile of Horse Excrement" Mesa. Discuss.
Nobody was calling Jose Mesa a pile of shit the year before, when he was nearly untouchable. I was noticing during that World Series year that he was not quite the same as the year before—that he was no longer cable of appearing night after night and still have the kind of effectiveness that he had before. As I remember that game in Miami, he had pitched the night before the final game, and when it came to the point of game 7 where it was time to bring in a closer, I was screaming at my TV screen “Don’t use Mesa tonight—use Mike Jackson, who was almost a co-closer with Mesa that year. But no…they went with Mesa and the team and Mesa forever paid the price.
To be fair, no one calls Mesa that except me and possibly Omar Vizquel. It is my issue, and my way of coping, and I own it.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: October 01, 2018, 02:52:48 PM »

Also, Jackson had pitched the 8th and had not done a lot of two inning stints. I was ok with bringing in Joe Table. It was his pitch choice.

Driver125

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: October 01, 2018, 03:03:41 PM »

Also, Jackson had pitched the 8th
I had not remembered this (so many years ago…..sigh) Still, Mesa was still getting the majority of closer opportunities that year (maybe 2 out of 3?), as I remember it. I do remember I was very apprehensive about bringing in Mesa, so I must have felt that Jackson was capable of another inning since his accumulated number of innings wouldn't have been that high.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 329