Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 250271 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #1110 on: November 19, 2018, 08:40:37 AM »

When you put it that way I agree with you.
Hey. I know what the score is and what’s happening in college football these days. There really isn’t any reason for Bama to go on the road and take on someone decent at this point. The idea is to get to that national championship game, get that trophy, rake in the riches that come along with that, get all the best recruits, etc. etc. etc. But sometimes you can do some things that really help college football on the way.
I was thinking of a long ago Southern Cal team which traveled to Alabama to play the Tide. By the time Sam ‘Bam’ Cunningham and friends were done with them the folks at Alabama knew that they finally had to get themselves some of those ’Negroes’ on their team or their time as a national powerhouse was over.
OSU scheduled a home and away with Oklahoma the past two years that worked out wonderfully for both schools and college football in particular. OSU went there and beat the Sooners on their home field and accrued much national standing from that, despite early worries from some that there was no good which could come from an out of conference game against a national powerhouse. Oklahoma with Baker Mayfield returned the favor the next year in Columbus. All great stuff, and great for the game. Stack that up against an Alabama vs. Citadel game, which is a waste of everybody’s time, regardless of what it does or does not do for someones strength of schedule.

Like I said I hear what you're saying. I can't fault Nicky quite as much as you because at this point of the year Bama playing an OOC powerhouse is something basically nobody does. This is basically an SEC thing where they are using this method of healing up before rivalry week. Personally I can see their point from where they are sitting and I can see your point more as a fan of the overall game of college football. But I think the game has gotten to the point of what is good for college football means to different people.

To the folks that run BIG TIME college football they care about money. They want the stars to be there and shine during 'Rivalry Week'. Much like all of these so-called new 'safety rules' have as much to do with money as with safety. QB's, RB, and WRs are 'money' players. Don't touch them. This motto rings even truer in Pro-Football. The way I see it the powers that be might just as well put red vests on them and stop all the fucking pretending.

A running back, wide receiver, TE and QB can lower their head and deliver a crown of the helmet blow any fucking time they feel like it. They can stick their hands into a defenders face mask(stiff arm) any fucking time they feel like it. What kind of two faced bullshit is that?

Offensive pussies.
I know you love tough, hard-nosed football  Cap'n and concussions be damned but by rule offensive players aren't allowed to initiate contact with the crown of their helmets either.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: November 19, 2018, 09:21:10 AM »

Hey. I know what the score is and what’s happening in college football these days. There really isn’t any reason for Bama to go on the road and take on someone decent at this point. The idea is to get to that national championship game, get that trophy, rake in the riches that come along with that, get all the best recruits, etc. etc. etc. But sometimes you can do some things that really help college football on the way.
I was thinking of a long ago Southern Cal team which traveled to Alabama to play the Tide. By the time Sam ‘Bam’ Cunningham and friends were done with them the folks at Alabama knew that they finally had to get themselves some of those ’Negroes’ on their team or their time as a national powerhouse was over.
OSU scheduled a home and away with Oklahoma the past two years that worked out wonderfully for both schools and college football in particular. OSU went there and beat the Sooners on their home field and accrued much national standing from that, despite early worries from some that there was no good which could come from an out of conference game against a national powerhouse. Oklahoma with Baker Mayfield returned the favor the next year in Columbus. All great stuff, and great for the game. Stack that up against an Alabama vs. Citadel game, which is a waste of everybody’s time, regardless of what it does or does not do for someones strength of schedule.

Like I said I hear what you're saying. I can't fault Nicky quite as much as you because at this point of the year Bama playing an OOC powerhouse is something basically nobody does. This is basically an SEC thing where they are using this method of healing up before rivalry week. Personally I can see their point from where they are sitting and I can see your point more as a fan of the overall game of college football. But I think the game has gotten to the point of what is good for college football means to different people.

To the folks that run BIG TIME college football they care about money. They want the stars to be there and shine during 'Rivalry Week'. Much like all of these so-called new 'safety rules' have as much to do with money as with safety. QB's, RB, and WRs are 'money' players. Don't touch them. This motto rings even truer in Pro-Football. The way I see it the powers that be might just as well put red vests on them and stop all the fucking pretending.

A running back, wide receiver, TE and QB can lower their head and deliver a crown of the helmet blow any fucking time they feel like it. They can stick their hands into a defenders face mask(stiff arm) any fucking time they feel like it. What kind of two faced bullshit is that?

Offensive pussies.

Addendum: The SEC is smarter than other conferences in this scheduling regard. So one would expect at least a modicum cry of foul talk by other conference members and fans that don't do it.

So while I can fault them as a fan I can't fault them for their intelligence in doing so. Smart savvy move really if you think about it.
Res ipsa loquitor.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: November 19, 2018, 09:49:59 AM »

Offensive pussies.
I know you love tough, hard-nosed football  Cap'n and concussions be damned but by rule offensive players aren't allowed to initiate contact with the crown of their helmets either.

If they have the ball they can and do. Seen it way too many times YG.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: November 19, 2018, 09:51:47 AM »

Offensive pussies.

Addendum: The SEC is smarter than other conferences in this scheduling regard. So one would expect at least a modicum cry of foul talk by other conference members and fans that don't do it.

So while I can fault them as a fan I can't fault them for their intelligence in doing so. Smart savvy move really if you think about it.
Res ipsa loquitor.

Aight.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: November 19, 2018, 10:00:57 AM »

Offensive pussies.

Then it's a problem with reffing.  All you need to do is read the rule book. 
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

Driver125

• View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: November 19, 2018, 11:56:39 AM »

I can see their point from where they are sitting and I can see your point more as a fan of the overall game of college football.
Yeah, I know. They are just playing the odds…..playing the numbers. As I said, getting into the final four is the holy grail. But I say that they might be a bit short sighted. I don’t like the idea of trying to ‘lawyer’ your way into the final four. If your team has what it takes, you’ll be there. If your team has what it takes to be the best then you won’t fear playing anyone prior to the playoffs. Yes, it might be a bad gamble, or against the odds for some to do something like that. It might be easier to avoid something like that and to rely on the committee to put you in the field. But what about the idea of actually playing your way in? What if you are a one-loss team and you are on the edge of getting in? What would be the best way to do it? Start a national publicity campaign to try to influence the committee to include you? Or play and beat a strong foe on the field? Like I said, you take a lot of risks with a loss. But if you are national championship caliber team you don’t lose that game. Yes, yes….I know. Puts me right in with the fantasists who still believe in things like the student/athlete idea or the concept that the NCAA has any real effect or control on the current college football structure (recognize anyone of that nature, Cap? LOL). 

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: November 19, 2018, 12:19:39 PM »

Offensive pussies.

I have never seen a running back flagged for targeting while running the ball. I doubt I ever will. Or a receiver. Or a QB. And if helmet to helmet is called it will be the defensive guys fault every time.

The targeting rule is unfair and sucks dead donkey dick.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 12:25:35 PM by CaptainCargo »

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: November 19, 2018, 01:52:48 PM »

Trust cap to be pro-CTE.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: November 19, 2018, 02:22:44 PM »

Offensive pussies.

Things that don’t factor into the decision to call a targeting foul, according to the rulebook, include:

* how superhumanly tough the television viewer thinks football players should aspire to be,
* how much the fan in the stands enjoyed football’s previously higher levels of violence,
* the TV commentator's worries that this is all becoming flag football,
* the coach's conclusion that avoiding a targeting hit would require a player to approach a play awkwardly,
* or the reader's assumption that the writer of this article never Played The Game.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 02:25:28 PM by Espnthree »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: November 19, 2018, 02:23:36 PM »

Offensive pussies.

I have never seen a running back flagged for targeting while running the ball. I doubt I ever will. Or a receiver. Or a QB. And if helmet to helmet is called it will be the defensive guys fault every time.

That's fine, Cap'n.  But at the risk of being called a lawyer, which I know is an epithet in your book, that ain't your initial argument here which was that offensive players are "pussies" because "[a] running back, wide receiver, TE and QB can lower their head and deliver a crown of the helmet blow any fucking time they feel like it. They can stick their hands into a defenders face mask(stiff arm) any fucking time they feel like it. What kind of two faced bullshit is that?"  My argument (and the rule book's) is that stuff is as much against the rules for the offensive "pussies" as it is for the defensive "men."  That those violations are not called is an issue for the refs and not one you can blame on the rules.

The targeting rule issue is a separate one and the rule is one that I'm okay with particularly, as we talked about a couple of weeks ago, it might help defenders to remember how to bring their arms to the dance.   
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 02:29:19 PM by Yankguy1 »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: November 19, 2018, 02:25:02 PM »

Offensive pussies.

Things that don’t factor into the decision to call a targeting foul, according to the rulebook, include:
 [i{
* how superhumanly tough the television viewer thinks football players should aspire to be,
* how much the fan in the stands enjoyed football’s previously higher levels of violence,
* the coach's conclusion that avoiding a targeting hit would require a player to approach a play awkwardly,
* or the reader's assumption that the writer of this article never Played The Game.
[/i]
It's amazing how more frequently I agree with ESPN3 than I do with RedStateWard.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: November 19, 2018, 02:28:36 PM »

is rivalry week.  One of the best is Notre Dame and USC, maybe the  best in intercollegiate athletics.
Given Notre Dame is unbeaten and in the thick of the CFP positioning The Irish might want to review the 1964 game. Ara Parseghian’s team was 9-0, ranked number one in the polls, and would stay there if it could beat the Trojans. ( Bowl Games were not taken into consideration, there were just 8, and Notre Dame never played in one until 1969)

USC belonged to the Athletic  Association of Western Universities( which became the Pac8 five years later). With league play finished the Trojans and Oregon State were tied for first and the league had to vote for a team to represent it in the Rose Bowl.  The Trojans lobbied to postpone the vote until after it played Notre Dame.  A victory would give them a 7-3 record against the Beavers’ 8-2 mark but everyone agreed that USC had played tougher teams(now known as SOS).

Notre Dame was the clear favorite. So much so that John McCay, the Trojan witty but wily coach remarked a week before the game that he saw “ no way” his team could win. By mid-week he amended that statement  to
I've decided that if we play our very best and make no mistakes whatsoever we will definitely make a first down,"

Notre Dame did dominate and led 17-0 by halftime. But in the second the Trojans started to control the game and the Irish turned the ball over several times and it was 17-14. With under 2 minutes left halfback Rod Sherman caught a 15 yard pass for a TD and USC prevailed 20-14.

The Irish were devastated but the Trojans’s victory celebration was silenced after the AAWU voted to send Oregon State to the Rose Bowl where they lost to Michigan.

For both schools it was a bittersweet season. Notre Dame had dramatically rebounded from a two win season in 1963 to within 30 minutes of a National Championship.  To underscore the dramatic turnaround QB John Huarte won the ‘64 Heisman Trophy after failing to even win a Letter in ‘63.
For USC the tremendous upset of Notre Dame failed to get it to the Rose Bowl(which to many in those days was better than a NC) all because of a vote.
USC Athletic Director Jess Hill summed up the Trojans’ feelings
So far as I am concerned, this is one of the rankest injustices ever perpetrated in the field of intercollegiate athletics."

Undefeated Alabama was named the 1964  AP champion but the Tide couldn’t go to the Sugar Bowl because of the non-repeat provision so they went  to the Orange Bowl and lost to Texas.

Michigan won a trip to the Rose Bowl after shutting out OSU 10-0.
The Wolverines creamed Oregon State 34-7 in The Rose Bowl.
Also in 1964 the list of Independent schools was a massive one. The days of conference rivalries were a long way off and the Bowl Games were, for the most part, regional pairings, the Rose Bowl not withstanding.

The 1964 Independents

Notre Dame
Florida State
Colgate
Georgia Tech
Syracuse
Villanova
Boston College
Rutgers
Southern Miss
New Mexico State
Penn State
VPI
Memphis State
Utah State
Holy Cross
Buffalo
Colorado State
Air Force
Miami (FL)
Xavier
Army
Idaho
West Texas State
San Jose State
Pittsburgh
Navy
Dayton
Detroit
Boston University
Houston
Pacific (CA)
Texas Western
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 02:32:22 PM by Espnthree »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: November 19, 2018, 03:30:00 PM »

Offensive pussies.

Blah blah blah I don't give a fuck.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: November 19, 2018, 03:31:30 PM »

Offensive pussies.

That's fine, Cap'n.  But at the risk of being called a lawyer, which I know is an epithet in your book, that ain't your initial argument here which was that offensive players are "pussies" because "[a] running back, wide receiver, TE and QB can lower their head and deliver a crown of the helmet blow any fucking time they feel like it. They can stick their hands into a defenders face mask(stiff arm) any fucking time they feel like it. What kind of two faced bullshit is that?"  My argument (and the rule book's) is that stuff is as much against the rules for the offensive "pussies" as it is for the defensive "men."  That those violations are not called is an issue for the refs and not one you can blame on the rules.

The targeting rule issue is a separate one and the rule is one that I'm okay with particularly, as we talked about a couple of weeks ago, it might help defenders to remember how to bring their arms to the dance.

At the risk of sounding like an asshole, see my last post.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: November 19, 2018, 03:41:45 PM »

Offensive pussies.

At the risk of sounding like an asshole, see my last post.
Like that has ever bothered you.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 329