Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 250582 times)

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #1140 on: November 20, 2018, 07:25:25 PM »

When you put it that way I agree with you.
Hey. I know what the score is and what’s happening in college football these days. There really isn’t any reason for Bama to go on the road and take on someone decent at this point. The idea is to get to that national championship game, get that trophy, rake in the riches that come along with that, get all the best recruits, etc. etc. etc. But sometimes you can do some things that really help college football on the way.
I was thinking of a long ago Southern Cal team which traveled to Alabama to play the Tide. By the time Sam ‘Bam’ Cunningham and friends were done with them the folks at Alabama knew that they finally had to get themselves some of those ’Negroes’ on their team or their time as a national powerhouse was over.
OSU scheduled a home and away with Oklahoma the past two years that worked out wonderfully for both schools and college football in particular. OSU went there and beat the Sooners on their home field and accrued much national standing from that, despite early worries from some that there was no good which could come from an out of conference game against a national powerhouse. Oklahoma with Baker Mayfield returned the favor the next year in Columbus. All great stuff, and great for the game. Stack that up against an Alabama vs. Citadel game, which is a waste of everybody’s time, regardless of what it does or does not do for someones strength of schedule.

Like I said I hear what you're saying. I can't fault Nicky quite as much as you because at this point of the year Bama playing an OOC powerhouse is something basically nobody does. This is basically an SEC thing where they are using this method of healing up before rivalry week. Personally I can see their point from where they are sitting and I can see your point more as a fan of the overall game of college football. But I think the game has gotten to the point of what is good for college football means to different people.

To the folks that run BIG TIME college football they care about money. They want the stars to be there and shine during 'Rivalry Week'. Much like all of these so-called new 'safety rules' have as much to do with money as with safety. QB's, RB, and WRs are 'money' players. Don't touch them. This motto rings even truer in Pro-Football. The way I see it the powers that be might just as well put red vests on them and stop all the fucking pretending.

A running back, wide receiver, TE and QB can lower their head and deliver a crown of the helmet blow any fucking time they feel like it. They can stick their hands into a defenders face mask(stiff arm) any fucking time they feel like it. What kind of two faced bullshit is that?

Offensive pussies.
I know you love tough, hard-nosed football  Cap'n and concussions be damned but by rule offensive players aren't allowed to initiate contact with the crown of their helmets either.

If they have the ball they can and do. Seen it way too many times YG.
Then it's a problem with reffing.  All you need to do is read the rule book.

I have never seen a running back flagged for targeting while running the ball. I doubt I ever will. Or a receiver. Or a QB. And if helmet to helmet is called it will be the defensive guys fault every time.

The targeting rule is unfair and sucks dead donkey dick.
That's fine, Cap'n.  But at the risk of being called a lawyer, which I know is an epithet in your book, that ain't your initial argument here which was that offensive players are "pussies" because "[a] running back, wide receiver, TE and QB can lower their head and deliver a crown of the helmet blow any fucking time they feel like it. They can stick their hands into a defenders face mask(stiff arm) any fucking time they feel like it. What kind of two faced bullshit is that?"  My argument (and the rule book's) is that stuff is as much against the rules for the offensive "pussies" as it is for the defensive "men."  That those violations are not called is an issue for the refs and not one you can blame on the rules.

The targeting rule issue is a separate one and the rule is one that I'm okay with particularly, as we talked about a couple of weeks ago, it might help defenders to remember how to bring their arms to the dance.

At the risk of sounding like an asshole, see my last post.
Like that has ever bothered you.

There is a difference between sounding like an asshole and being one.
What on earth makes you think one cannot be both?

You posted a great big "Kick Me Hard" sign on your own ass.

What makes you think it has to be both?
I neither said nor implied that it did.

Didn't have to I can read your mind, it comes with years of experience dealing with you.
I would read your mind but the Adventures of Dick and Jane bore me.

A pathetic attempt. You're better than that. No coffee this morning?
You still on that thread? Don't you have any constructive College Football comments to offer?

I didn't want you to feel left out.

And of course I do. Some that you might even be able to comprehend.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: November 20, 2018, 07:34:49 PM »

Is this the week UCF jumps.a.big boy? Specifically, will the Committee but them ahead of Ohio State?

Looks like they did. But still behind a 2 loss LSU.

Next question is will OSU hop back in front of UCF if the Buckeyes take out the Wolverines?

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: November 20, 2018, 07:54:53 PM »

Is this the week UCF jumps.a.big boy? Specifically, will the Committee but them ahead of Ohio State?

Looks like they did. But still behind a 2 loss LSU.

Next question is will OSU hop back in front of UCF if the Buckeyes take out the Wolverines?
Yes. And if OSU wins the Big Whatever they wl hop UCF, LSU, and WSU. And assuming the likely, Georgia. Oklahoma would be the issue if they win out. But I doubt they win Saturday. They seem uncharacteristically discombobulated.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: November 20, 2018, 08:05:03 PM »

And just when you think Godzilla is dead...

I'm not putting any money on Michigan.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: November 20, 2018, 09:01:22 PM »

As bad as OSU seems, I keep remembering, as they always do, they seem to do find a way to win. They are after all still 10-1. But I think they're winning on pure talent. I know that sounds like it doesn't make any sense. But yet, it does.

What I mean by that is they seem lacking, to me, simply in player leadership. They need leaders to step up and I'm just not seeing it. The young QB has talent but I see him get rattled in lots of critical situations. Same with the OL and the entire defense. Did losing Bosa leave them without a guy to look to when things get crazy? Maybe that's it I keep telling myself.

Physical talent alone doesn't make a leader.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 08:53:28 AM by CaptainCargo »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: November 21, 2018, 08:57:17 AM »

https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals250-db-jalen-perry-picks-michigan

Excellent pick-up by Harbaugh.

I see the guy as a better fit at safety rather than a CB. That is if he's got the mindset for the role.

Good hands and a receiver's brain though, so CB could be where he shines.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: November 21, 2018, 09:26:10 AM »

As bad as OSU seems, I keep remembering, as they always do, they seem to do find a way to win. They are after all still 10-1. But I think they're winning on pure talent. I know that sounds like it doesn't make any sense. But yet, it does.

What I mean by that is they seem lacking, to me, simply in player leadership. They need leaders to step up and I'm just not seeing it. The young QB has talent but I see him get rattled in lots of critical situations. Same with the OL and the entire defense. Did losing Bosa leave them without a guy to look to when things get crazy? Maybe that's it I keep telling myself.

They seem unorganized, unfocused and lacking in communication,  which results in all the Big plays. That is coaching. Between the controversy, his suspension, his health, and stress, Meyer seems not to be the same same coach he was. I wonder if it is time for him to pick up that ESPN gig again.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: November 21, 2018, 09:41:44 AM »

Anyway, time for my annual morph into a 75 year old man, sitting in a rocker on my front porch, waving my cane in the air while railing against the sins of modernity.

I.used to love the last week of college football, when there was only the ABC broadcast. Michigan - Ohio State at noon, Oklahoma - Nebraska at 3:30, USC - UCLA in the Rose Bowl at night. What.a.great.day, all day with my dad watching football, roaring fire in the living room, great rivalries, great games. It felt communal, like.every college football fan was in the room with me, watching along. Woah Nellie, was that a.day.

Now? USC and UCLA played last week, Nebraska and Oklahoma never play each other any more, and I will have about 8 games to chose from to compete with The Game. It is just not the same. Something indefinable has been lost. And it is not even the last.week anymore; instead of proving your worth through the grind of the season, we get to see the Fighting Nerds get stomped by ClemSIN between Dr. Pepper ads. Now, get off my lawn!

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: November 21, 2018, 10:26:19 AM »

Anyway, time for my annual morph into a 75 year old man, sitting in a rocker on my front porch, waving my cane in the air while railing against the sins of modernity.

I.used to love the last week of college football, when there was only the ABC broadcast. Michigan - Ohio State at noon, Oklahoma - Nebraska at 3:30, USC - UCLA in the Rose Bowl at night. What.a.great.day, all day with my dad watching football, roaring fire in the living room, great rivalries, great games. It felt communal, like.every college football fan was in the room with me, watching along. Woah Nellie, was that a.day.

Now? USC and UCLA played last week, Nebraska and Oklahoma never play each other any more, and I will have about 8 games to chose from to compete with The Game. It is just not the same. Something indefinable has been lost. And it is not even the last.week anymore; instead of proving your worth through the grind of the season, we get to see the Fighting Nerds get stomped by ClemSIN between Dr. Pepper ads. Now, get off my lawn!

Great post you old fart.

I loved Nebraska-Oklahoma, that was one of the defining great games of college football. It seemed those teams were always 8-0 going into that game, and winner got the Orange Bowl.

And fwiw, The Game was played last Saturday, It was a pretty good game until Harvard pulled away in the 4th quarter.

and can you throw back my baseball?

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: November 21, 2018, 10:37:15 AM »

I see my autocorrect changed "Fightin' Nards" to "Fighting Nerds".

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: November 21, 2018, 10:45:30 AM »

They seem unorganized, unfocused and lacking in communication,  which results in all the Big plays. That is coaching. Between the controversy, his suspension, his health, and stress, Meyer seems not to be the same same coach he was. I wonder if it is time for him to pick up that ESPN gig again.
I think he'll be in the NFL next season.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: November 21, 2018, 10:46:36 AM »

St. Johns really took it to Martin Luther, didn't they? Should have scored.11 more, pounded their own 95 metaphorical theses into their metaphorical church door.

Does Mary beat Berry this week? Make Berry blue - or perhaps black and blue? Goose them? Raz  them? Straw them?  I need something better for the last one.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: November 21, 2018, 11:25:31 AM »

Urban Meyer will never coach in the NFL.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: November 21, 2018, 12:07:36 PM »

Urban Meyer will never coach in the NFL.
Yeah, if he has healtb/stress issues, it is hard to see an NFL job as a.remedy.

Driver125

• View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: November 21, 2018, 12:29:31 PM »

Between the controversy, his suspension, his health, and stress, Meyer seems not to be the same same coach he was.
I could not agree with you more, Mr. Priest. This has been two years in a row now where OSU has had inexplicable blowout loses on the road to teams who both tanked after their big wins against Ohio State. Neither of these teams were powerhouses in any sense. Not only did OSU players fail in almost every aspect of these games, it seemed to be clear that they were ill-prepared for the games from a coaching standpoint. And Myer seemed incapable of changing anything that was happening during those games. This is something that would not have happened with Myer in the past. The man has amassed a fantastic record since coming to Ohio State and deserves every dollar they have paid him (well, maybe not every dollar….but that’s college football these days). And he’s still managing to win a number of big games when he really needs to (witness what happened this year in the white-out cauldron of Happy Valley or their dominating win in East Lansing). As per usual these days, I think these wins were attributed more to the supposed incompetence of their opposition than any skill on the Buckeyes part because they don’t appear to be the well-oiled machine everyone in Columbus would like to see…..but, still….they won these big road games.
Heck, Myer and his boys might even pull out this game on Saturday. By all logic, Michigan should win, but there’s a chance Myer might still be able to work some of that old magic of his one more time. But for whatever reason, the failure of that magic appears to be happening more often now than it did in the past. Be it questionable health or the inertia that settles in with a long stay in a successful yet stressful situation I don’t know, but whatever is happening I agree with you…I think it is clear that something has changed. The team is fully stocked with high-level recruits of his own choice which many experts have been raving about as some of the best recruiting in the country for the past couple of years, yet the team they have produced this year has at times looked downright incapable. If they lose against Michigan this Saturday it is my prediction that he will be back for one more year to see if he is still capable of putting it all together for one more run at the National Championship. Failure to achieve any success in that I believe will result in everyone just going “that’s enough”, time for something new.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 329