Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 258934 times)

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #1440 on: December 06, 2018, 04:43:03 PM »

Jim Delany says College Football Playoff doesn't define Big Ten:

Big 10 teams sticking with nine league games.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25460556/big-ten-commissioner-jim-delany-there-no-plans-reduce-number-league-games-nine-eight

I'd have to agree with their decision. With 6 teams not above .500 there really isn't any need to schedule weaker teams. They already have them. And it's an easier way for them to keep all of the money for that game in the Big Ten.
If they played 8 conference games like God's Conference they would have more teams over .500.

Technically you're right. One more.

The rest would need more than one win to get above .500

What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: December 06, 2018, 06:05:45 PM »

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25460556/big-ten-commissioner-jim-delany-there-no-plans-reduce-number-league-games-nine-eight

I'd have to agree with their decision. With 6 teams not above .500 there really isn't any need to schedule weaker teams. They already have them. And it's an easier way for them to keep all of the money for that game in the Big Ten.
If they played 8 conference games like God's Conference they would have more teams over .500.
And the league schools would make more money.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: December 06, 2018, 06:43:24 PM »

And the Conference would lose money if they had to give it to other schools for an OOC game.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 07:33:41 PM by CaptainCargo »

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: December 06, 2018, 09:21:13 PM »

Your math is off.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: December 07, 2018, 12:09:32 AM »

And the Conference would lose money if they had to give it to other schools for an OOC game.
uh, no.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: December 07, 2018, 09:45:56 AM »

Your math is off.

I stand corrected. The Fightin Gophers would have a shot too. And my math was off on the number of teams the Big 10 has that isn't over .500. I said six but it is actually 7. That's HALF the conference. Which emphasizes my point even more that the Big Ten already has enough weak teams already without the need to try and go find more to play. So, they of course could prefer to keep the money in the conference without a major amount of fear that the outcome would be much different than the alternative. So as I inferred insidiously crafty smart on their part.

But to get back to your assertion that the Big Ten would have more teams. Purdue lost to Eastern Michigan. So there is no guarantee that they or Minny would have won their extra cupcake game.

So I would agree to an amendment of your statement to read, "If they played 8 conference games like God's Conference they would might have more teams over .500.

Fair enough?

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: December 07, 2018, 09:54:23 AM »

uh, no.

I see, so the OOC opponents play Big Ten teams in Big Ten Stadiums for free? Awfully sporting of them.

The stupid SEC pays their OOC teams to come and play. Bama for instance paying Citadel, I believe, $500,000.00 to play.

Additionally the Crimson Tide will pay a combined $6.71 million for a quartet of home nonconference games scheduled between 2021-2029 after agreeing to host Southern Miss, Utah State and Western Kentucky for an average of $1.9 million between 2021-2023.

But you say the Big Ten OOC opponents get to come to a Big Ten school play a football game for free? And then are free to take their dirty jocks and get the fuck out of Dodge. Neat.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: December 07, 2018, 11:02:15 AM »

uh, no.

I see, so the OOC opponents play Big Ten teams in Big Ten Stadiums for free? Awfully sporting of them.

The stupid SEC pays their OOC teams to come and play. Bama for instance paying Citadel, I believe, $500,000.00 to play.

Additionally the Crimson Tide will pay a combined $6.71 million for a quartet of home nonconference games scheduled between 2021-2029 after agreeing to host Southern Miss, Utah State and Western Kentucky for an average of $1.9 million between 2021-2023.

But you say the Big Ten OOC opponents get to come to a Big Ten school play a football game for free? And then are free to take their dirty jocks and get the fuck out of Dodge. Neat.
There is a reason tOSU level programs can spend those kind of incentives to bring in group of 5 teams.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: December 07, 2018, 11:12:11 AM »

Your math is off.

I stand corrected. The Fightin Gophers would have a shot too. And my math was off on the number of teams the Big 10 has that isn't over .500. I said six but it is actually 7. That's HALF the conference. Which emphasizes my point even more that the Big Ten already has enough weak teams already without the need to try and go find more to play. So, they of course could prefer to keep the money in the conference without a major amount of fear that the outcome would be much different than the alternative. So as I inferred insidiously crafty smart on their part.

But to get back to your assertion that the Big Ten would have more teams. Purdue lost to Eastern Michigan. So there is no guarantee that they or Minny would have won their extra cupcake game.

So I would agree to an amendment of your statement to read, "If they played 8 conference games like God's Conference they would might have more teams over .500.

Fair enough?
Yep. 2018 was a down year for the West. If Nietzsche is right, 2018 will be a down year for the West when it recurs.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: December 07, 2018, 11:14:13 AM »

uh, no.

There is a reason tOSU level programs can spend those kind of incentives to bring in group of 5 teams.

I'm sorry I'm not following you.

The discussion is about the Big 10 dropping, or not dropping, a conference game in order to pickup a cupcake nonconference game. To which I stated the BIG 10 would lose money if they did. Because they would have to pay the other teams to come and play them. Whereas if it were just a regular Big 10 matchup the money would stay in conference. Also since the Big 10 already has half of their membership unable to play over .500 ball who needs weaker teams to schedule.

Maybe it wasn't clear to you what was being discussed. Sorry about that, my bad for not making it clearer.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: December 07, 2018, 11:44:56 AM »

Your math is off.

Fair enough?
Yep. 2018 was a down year for the West. If Nietzsche is right, 2018 will be a down year for the West when it recurs.
Dropping a cupcake FCS game and replacing it with a league opponent costs the home team more in a payout.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: December 07, 2018, 11:45:32 AM »

Your math is off.

Fair enough?

Hopefully it isn't a trend.

But it's one reason what I thought it would be better to have PSU and Michigan State in the West and OSU and Michigan in the East. You'd have to rename the Divisions to something else because Directional names wouldn't fit.

Personally as I've tried to explain before, I think with the conference's history OSU, their traditionally strongest school, would be most capable of standing alone. Add in Michigan because of the last game of the year rivalry thing. I don't think the Big can depend on Wisconsin alone to carry the flag for the other Division every year. Iowa has managed to hop in there to pick up the slack but sporadically IMO. This year attests to that downyear happenstance you mention I think. But also the happenstance that the division in question need another ringer in it.

So make the West stronger with three potential good teams in Wisconsin, MSU and PSU. It's possible the powers behind the scenes, for whatever reason/s I'm sure there is a lot of internal politicking going on, want nothing to do with PSU 'not' being in the same division as OSU. Or, I suppose I could just be seeing something that isn't there although I'm not really inclined to believe that. It's possible that the Big Ten is/was trying to emulate the SEC West by putting all of their eggs in one basket and thus the glut of OSU, PSU, Michigan and Mich St. All four traditional and actual powers in the past, recent or otherwise, on one side of the ledger. That may be the subtlety you might have missed when I was trying to talk about it earlier.

It's possible that Nebraska is exerting some sort of pressure to actually be in a weak division in hopes of somehow resurrecting their program. A program whose glory is as dead and gone as the Roman Empire and probably never to be seen again for several reasons. Both for traditional population demographic reasons as well as being for lack of a better term 'a flashy chic or voguish' location. So they are completely happy with only vying with the likes of Wisconsin and Iowa.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 12:23:22 PM by CaptainCargo »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: December 07, 2018, 11:52:09 AM »

Your math is off.

Fair enough?
Dropping a cupcake FCS game and replacing it with a league opponent costs the home team more in a payout.

Conference James,  C O N F E R E N C E.

Not team.

The conference as a whole would lose that money. Otherwise it stays in house so to speak.

So the conference in playing nine conference games can somehow claim the high ground, or get some sort of credit, in claiming they played a tougher schedule without losing a friggin dime in doing so. Brilliant I admit. In a twisted self serving way.

But brilliant nonetheless, because there are a lot of soft heads out there that would actually believe that bullshit.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 11:57:37 AM by CaptainCargo »

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: December 07, 2018, 12:26:57 PM »

Your math is off.

Fair enough?

Not team.

The conference as a whole would lose that money. Otherwise it stays in house so to speak.

So the conference in playing nine conference games can somehow claim the high ground, or get some sort of credit, in claiming they played a tougher schedule without losing a friggin dime in doing so. Brilliant I admit. In a twisted self serving way.

But brilliant nonetheless, because there are a lot of soft heads out there that would actually believe that bullshit.
If Jimm is right, and though you will not admit it, he usually is when it comes to the money in sports, each team gets more money for the cupcake game, even with the buy out. How is the conference out money if each individual team makes more? More games the network to televise and sell ads for, too.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: December 07, 2018, 01:12:01 PM »

Your math is off.

Fair enough?

Not team.

If Jimm is right, and though you will not admit it, he usually is when it comes to the money in sports, each team gets more money for the cupcake game, even with the buy out. How is the conference out money if each individual team makes more? More games the network to televise and sell ads for, too.
A payout to an FCS team has an average of $450 000 to half a million.
If that game was a conference game instead the two teams split the gate.
Which, in most cases of power five conferences, would mean much more than half a million.
Ergo, the FCS game means more net money to the home team since it pays out $500k and keeps the rest of the gate receipts.
The notion that with conference games the money “ stays in the conference” is irrelevant since each team has a budget built on gate receipts.
This is not to say that the bottom line of the gate receipts’  ledger is the deciding factor in scheduling 8 or nine games.  Each conference bases that on many factors.  But it is true that power five home game against a cupcake means more for the home team.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 01:15:05 PM by Espnthree »
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 329