Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 250166 times)

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #1485 on: December 10, 2018, 06:20:48 PM »

There is a phrase people sometimes use (though rarely used on this board), that may be helpful in reducing the number of erroneous posts here.

"oh, I see what you are saying now."

it does not diminish your intelligence to have previously misunderstood what someone was trying to say.

Good advice Scotty, I hope it happens with some degree of frequency going forward.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: December 10, 2018, 06:29:17 PM »

https://twitter.com/TheBabylonBee/status/1072185425962328064
Forever grateful that all the ignorant shit I said has been stored in easily denied human memories instead of permanently retained computer memories.

John 8:7

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: December 11, 2018, 12:06:33 AM »

Things are looking up

*Chad Kauha’aha’a - Defensive Line
*Mike Jinks - Running Backs
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: December 12, 2018, 11:18:08 AM »

The talk of expanding to 8 playoff teams is circulating among the powers-that-be in College Football Athletic offices. The current 4 team playoff has been successful and has 7 years left on its original contract. But, in truth, only the SEC can be entirely happy.

A number of athletic directors and commissioners of other conferences have a different perspective. They feel that the system is designed to benefit the SEC, and they point to examples from this year’s final rankings as evidence: Florida at No. 10, despite the two FCS games; LSU hovering at No. 7 after its blowout loss to Alabama; the Gators and Tigers making New Year’s Six bowl games ahead of Penn State and Washington State, which both played nine conference games; and a two-loss, non-champion Georgia slotted ahead of Ohio State, a one-loss conference champion.

The proposal getting the most chat right now is 5 conference Champs, the non-power -5 highest rated and two wild cards. Conference Championship games will be replaced by the first round games at the homes of the top four ranked teams.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: December 12, 2018, 11:45:53 AM »

It is an interesting formula, though if you replace conference championship games with round 1, how.do you determine conference champions? It did not happen this year but you often have division champs with identical records and no head to head.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: December 12, 2018, 12:19:45 PM »

It is an interesting formula, though if you replace conference championship games with round 1, how.do you determine conference champions? It did not happen this year but you often have division champs with identical records and no head to head.
End division play is one way.  Return to the tested formula of tiebreakers starting with best overall record on to head-to head  in case of ties , etc.

Of course nothing will be easy since Conference CGs are popular and profitable, especially in the SEC. and the whole idea may collapse if the SEC won’t relent on 9 game schedules.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: December 12, 2018, 01:58:05 PM »

On the other hand, you are replacing the revenue from the championship game with revenue from the playoff game. If you manage to have both, say 0laying the dead week after conference championship games you are adding new 4evenue. But I guess you make the scholars play one more game, so there is that.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: December 12, 2018, 02:44:11 PM »

On the other hand, you are replacing the revenue from the championship game with revenue from the playoff game. If you manage to have both, say 0laying the dead week after conference championship games you are adding new 4evenue. But I guess you make the scholars play one more game, so there is that.
Adding a game is probably a non-starter. Certainly any NFL bound player on a losing playoff team has even more incentive to skip the Bowls after two post season games

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: December 12, 2018, 04:19:50 PM »

The talk of expanding to 8 playoff teams is circulating among the powers-that-be in College Football Athletic offices. The current 4 team playoff has been successful and has 7 years left on its original contract. But, in truth, only the SEC can be entirely happy.

A number of athletic directors and commissioners of other conferences have a different perspective. They feel that the system is designed to benefit the SEC, and they point to examples from this year’s final rankings as evidence: Florida at No. 10, despite the two FCS games; LSU hovering at No. 7 after its blowout loss to Alabama; the Gators and Tigers making New Year’s Six bowl games ahead of Penn State and Washington State, which both played nine conference games; and a two-loss, non-champion Georgia slotted ahead of Ohio State, a one-loss conference champion.

The proposal getting the most chat right now is 5 conference Champs, the non-power -5 highest rated and two wild cards. Conference Championship games will be replaced by the first round games at the homes of the top four ranked teams.

The thing is that all of the people on the committee that vote/rank/rate, whatever word one wants to use, have access to the teams SOS playing nine games eight games. So IMO complaining about it is nothing more than just a smokescreen. If Georgia had played one more SEC game most likely they win it. So again smokescreen. The other conference's ADs and Commissioners are just whining. Yes, whining. People think LSU is overrated, okay that's their prerogative. Opinions vary. Sure it's possible that Georgia loses an extra game by playing Ole Miss, Arkansas, Auburn, Miss St, and Tex A&M.

They'd sure as hell be favored even more had they had to face any of the Big 10 West teams or the PAC South teams or the ACC Coastal teams, or any of the Big 12 teams not named Oklahoma Sooners. All this has to enter into a Committee voters minds. I know what my mind would think given all of the same information. Either real or the SOS speculative scenarios I just laid out. Whining. Nothing more than that.

Now I don't blame them for whining mind you. But lets call it for what it is. System advantage? IMO that's just a bunch of whiny bullshit.

Additionally, and not really related to the above, I used to think the bowls games meant something as far as the power of the conferences went. But lately I'm beginning to rethink that assumption too. Especially in this day and age of stars sitting those games out. It used to be about motivation factors and to the most extent I think it still is. Who has something to prove, and who doesn't really give that much of a rat's ass. But now we have stars just flat out refusing to play period. Back when their were much less bowl games and when the major bowls hadn't been highjacked by the playoff games. I think there was a time when teams played hard in the bowl games 110% kinda stuff. I think when there were less games it was considered more of an honor to get in one of those games. So you played hard.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 04:46:06 PM by CaptainCargo »

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: December 12, 2018, 04:45:05 PM »

.....I used to think the bowls games meant something as far as the power of the conferences went. But lately I'm beginning to rethink that assumption too. Especially in this day and age of stars sitting those games out. It used to be about motivation factors and to the most extent I think it still is. Who has something to prove, and who doesn't really give that much of a rat's ass. But now we have stars just flat out refusing to play period. Back when their were much less bowl games and when the major bowls hadn't been highjacked by the playoff games. I think there was a time when teams played hard in the bowl games 110% kinda stuff. I think when their were less games it was considered more of an honor to get in one of those games. So you played hard.
There also used to be leather helmets, single wing offenses, one televised game on Saturday, defense, and Keith Jackson.
Those days are gone and the NFL paychecks are much bigger. Anyone who thinks a player on the cusp of a long term pro contract owes it to his team to play in a Bowl Game is out of touch with reality.  Recent polls show that support for the decision to go pro is universally supported by teammates and coaches.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: December 12, 2018, 04:48:16 PM »

Yes that is all true.

Even though your post/s delineation quotes thing is messed up.

But like I said, the bottom part of my post had little to nothing to do with the top part.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: December 12, 2018, 04:48:50 PM »

Oh, cool you fixed it. Good job.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: December 12, 2018, 05:04:52 PM »

Yes that is all true.

But like I said, the bottom part of my post had little to nothing to do with the top part.
Your first part made no sense.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: December 12, 2018, 05:09:42 PM »

.....I used to think the bowls games meant something as far as the power of the conferences went. But lately I'm beginning to rethink that assumption too. Especially in this day and age of stars sitting those games out. It used to be about motivation factors and to the most extent I think it still is. Who has something to prove, and who doesn't really give that much of a rat's ass. But now we have stars just flat out refusing to play period. Back when their were much less bowl games and when the major bowls hadn't been highjacked by the playoff games. I think there was a time when teams played hard in the bowl games 110% kinda stuff. I think when their were less games it was considered more of an honor to get in one of those games. So you played hard.
There also used to be leather helmets, single wing offenses, one televised game on Saturday, defense, and Keith Jackson.
Those days are gone and the NFL paychecks are much bigger. Anyone who thinks a player on the cusp of a long term pro contract owes it to his team to play in a Bowl Game is out of touch with reality.  Recent polls show that support for the decision to go pro is universally supported by teammates and coaches.
Speaking of Keith Jackson this "Keith Jackson and Michigan" video brought a tear to the eye of this old cynic. Sorry Whiskey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQicippGDJQ

My daughter has no idea who Keith Jackson was.  I sent it to her anyway.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 05:11:37 PM by Yankguy1 »
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: December 12, 2018, 06:35:31 PM »

Yes that is all true.

Your first part made no sense.

Probably not to you. I've come to realize that higher thinking is someti….oftentimes beyond you. My apologies for subjecting you to it.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 329