Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 250432 times)

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #2115 on: March 21, 2019, 10:55:45 AM »

I love how part of her.defense was, yes, we committed academic fraud, but UNC created fake classes for everyone, not just athletes. Sounds like exactly the right person to take the USC crew team in hand.

Everyone was doing it!
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: April 03, 2019, 09:11:50 AM »

Too quiet in here lately.

Time for some, as always, cutting edge Cappy analysis.

Texas and Head coach Tom Herman continue to do well on the recruiting trail. With the 2018 and 19 class the Horns have accumulated an enormous amount of football talent. Herman has particularly IMO done quite well in the DB part of the recruiting equation. Something that Saban was always exceptional at. And in the current environment of college football DB has become possibly the preeminent players on today's modern college defenses. It used to be that you'd see coaches building their defensive squad from the DL back. Those days are gone. Now the two most important positions in defensive football have to be your edge guys and your DBs. Not to say other position aren't also important, but with the mostly passing oriented offenses out there today. Stopping the short passing game is probably the most important aspect of today's defenses. In that vein Herman has recruited well. Of his top 2018 recruits 5 out of the first 7 players are defensive backs. Caden Stems, B.J. Foster, Jalen Green, and Anthony Cook are IMO one of the single greatest hauls of DB talent in a single recruiting cycle that I have ever seen. And if the Capster is impressed believe me you should be impressed. Throw in potential box safety DeMarvion Overshown a heat seeking sledgehammer and you've got yourself one wicked class of DBs. In the 2019 my lone shining light is is safety Tyler Owens. This cat can flat out fly for a player of his size. He's got a heads up find the hole and stuff it mentality yet has the speed to get to the edge quickly. Overshown plays too high IMO in the tackling part of his game, but that can be coached out of him. Marry this to several potential LB stars like Ayodele Adeoye other very good defensive players who I will touch on later and...

Overall IMO Herman will have a very VERY good defensive squad in the upcoming season. Something that has been very elusive for the Longhorns in the previous 5 or 6 years.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: April 05, 2019, 11:49:37 AM »

I see Mark Dantonio did some switching in his coaching staff assignments.

Is Dantonio's staff shuffle the right answer? Usually this sort of thing never ends well. First there's the hurt feelings and egos to deal with. Next if a coach was subpar will he be any better at another job? Or, was it a case of this guy is just better. Or, was it a case of maybe someone was in over their head? Or something else altogether? Stevo?

Salem maybe has a more personal knowledge of Lewerke. But is that reason to hand over the offensive reins to him? Then again he can't do much worse than Bollman and Dave Warner did. But was their paltry offense a case of poor coaching or simply less talent in personnel? Of course it would also help if Lewerke could stay on the field. And the O-Line IMO was not as physical as previous versions I've seen lately. They get four guys back but will they simply be the same four guys that seemed at times to be moving in slow motion last year?

Bollman IMO is more suited to his new, slash old, role and in the past has done a tremendous job with OLs. So I expect the Spartan OL to be much improved this season. Good news for Stevo and other Spartie fans. Especially if frosh lineman Devante Dobbs is good right out of the box. Personally I am uber impressed by the kid watching his film and think he's a plug in guy from day one.

Another mild surprise and IMO a bold move is swapping Treadwell to the offensive side with the receivers and Terrance Samuel switching over to DB coach. Treadwell is a jack of all trades guy and should slide into his new role without much of a hitch. Samuel had a short one year stint as defensive backs coach at little known Nebraska-Omaha over a dozen years ago. Otherwise he's been all offense for his entire career.

Sidenote: I say little known Nebraska-Omaha. But back in the day they used to be a well known name in Div II football. They have since dropped football.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: April 05, 2019, 12:25:31 PM »

I think I'm going to borrow a page from Steve's playbook and start referring to USC as the favorite to win the NC this year...
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: April 05, 2019, 05:28:14 PM »

I'll be getting into the Trojans later.

No wait....that doesn't sound right.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: April 06, 2019, 09:28:30 AM »

I see Mark Dantonio did some switching in his coaching staff assignments.

Is Dantonio's staff shuffle the right answer? Usually this sort of thing never ends well. First there's the hurt feelings and egos to deal with. Next if a coach was subpar will he be any better at another job? Or, was it a case of this guy is just better. Or, was it a case of maybe someone was in over their head? Or something else altogether? Stevo?

Salem maybe has a more personal knowledge of Lewerke. But is that reason to hand over the offensive reins to him? Then again he can't do much worse than Bollman and Dave Warner did. But was their paltry offense a case of poor coaching or simply less talent in personnel? Of course it would also help if Lewerke could stay on the field. And the O-Line IMO was not as physical as previous versions I've seen lately. They get four guys back but will they simply be the same four guys that seemed at times to be moving in slow motion last year?

Bollman IMO is more suited to his new, slash old, role and in the past has done a tremendous job with OLs. So I expect the Spartan OL to be much improved this season. Good news for Stevo and other Spartie fans. Especially if frosh lineman Devante Dobbs is good right out of the box. Personally I am uber impressed by the kid watching his film and think he's a plug in guy from day one.

Another mild surprise and IMO a bold move is swapping Treadwell to the offensive side with the receivers and Terrance Samuel switching over to DB coach. Treadwell is a jack of all trades guy and should slide into his new role without much of a hitch. Samuel had a short one year stint as defensive backs coach at little known Nebraska-Omaha over a dozen years ago. Otherwise he's been all offense for his entire career.

Sidenote: I say little known Nebraska-Omaha. But back in the day they used to be a well known name in Div II football. They have since dropped football.
No time to think of this stuff now. Hopefully Tuesday.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: April 06, 2019, 02:00:17 PM »

Hopefully Tuesday.

Isn't that the day you're supposed to pay me back for the hamburger?
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: April 07, 2019, 09:46:26 AM »

Condolences Stevo and congrats. Good run for your guys this year.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: April 28, 2019, 11:38:36 AM »

Florida
Tennessee
University of California (Southern)
Michigan
MIchigan State
Nebraska

...is a list of?
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: April 29, 2019, 04:17:05 PM »

Schools that used to be good?

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: April 29, 2019, 04:22:42 PM »

Schools that have played drafted every year since X.  Nebraska had no one this year, so they're out.....
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: April 29, 2019, 04:25:04 PM »

Most kids in the transfer portal?  Though that sort of goes with my earlier comment

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: April 29, 2019, 04:35:20 PM »

Schools that have played drafted every year since X.  Nebraska had no one this year, so they're out.....

oh yeah...that

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: April 29, 2019, 09:22:47 PM »

Florida
Tennessee
University of California (Southern)
Michigan
MIchigan State
Nebraska

...is a list of?

Teams without the letter Z in them.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 329