Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 250200 times)

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #2205 on: June 15, 2019, 09:28:23 PM »

So what, the guy is a professional. He's earned it. A buy out is a buyout. Without it the coach leaving probably would have gotten some it not all of that cash too. It's a penalty, as he didn't get it. GET it? But it was "in" the contract. Something agreed on. If and when the transfer rules change the recruits will know about before they sign. It won't be kept a secret from them. I would however be in favor of if the rules change I would be in favor of any kid who was recruited under the old rule get grandfathered to the rule they originally signed with.

And once again your weak point is that schools can yank a scholarship. That's been covered. But since your memory is short I'll refresh it. That rarely happens except for good reason. Usually the player has done a bad thing.

And coaches can be fired, not just for being bad but for not producing. Players that don't produce rarely lose their scholarship. They just sit the bench.
Players rarely transfer except for good reason.

I'm looking for a fact that connects a professional adult "job", with an amateur playing a "game".

Look as I might I can't find one.

At the risk of repeating others: ?

And it is telling though not surprising that the person you believe should be punished for changing his mind about a life defining decision is not the adult, getting paid, who has signed a contract, but the kid playing a game who has not.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: June 16, 2019, 11:43:06 AM »

So what, the guy is a professional. He's earned it. A buy out is a buyout. Without it the coach leaving probably would have gotten some it not all of that cash too. It's a penalty, as he didn't get it. GET it? But it was "in" the contract. Something agreed on. If and when the transfer rules change the recruits will know about before they sign. It won't be kept a secret from them. I would however be in favor of if the rules change I would be in favor of any kid who was recruited under the old rule get grandfathered to the rule they originally signed with.

And once again your weak point is that schools can yank a scholarship. That's been covered. But since your memory is short I'll refresh it. That rarely happens except for good reason. Usually the player has done a bad thing.

And coaches can be fired, not just for being bad but for not producing. Players that don't produce rarely lose their scholarship. They just sit the bench.
Players rarely transfer except for good reason.

I'm looking for a fact that connects a professional adult "job", with an amateur playing a "game".

Look as I might I can't find one.

At the risk of repeating others: ?

And it is telling though not surprising that the person you believe should be punished for changing his mind about a life defining decision is not the adult, getting paid, who has signed a contract, but the kid playing a game who has not.

That would depend on what one thinks a "good reason" is. Yours and mine certainly don't have very much overlapping ground I'm sure. As to the second,

At the risk of repeating others? So far there are no others.

It's also telling that you can't separate a professional decision from an amateur one. First I'm told that only the player gets penalized. After debunking that falsehood proving that the supposed "adult" also gets penalized, now it's adult vs minor.

Well most freshmen are 18+ years old and legally an "adult". With adulthood comes responsibility for one's actions. You mention the signed contract. Those contracts that, more and more, already have the "legal" buyout provisions in it. A penalty. Both sides, the coach and the University know what they are getting into.

The recruit is at liberty to ask the coach if he has a buyout clause in his contract. He's at liberty to garner all of the information he wants before making his decision. He's at liberty to get all the advice he wants, including I suppose legal council before making his decision. I was making my own "life" decisions for myself when I was 16 years old.

And, what about all of the player's teammates? Maybe they went to the school thinking player A or player B was going to be there? I haven't heard a peep out of any bleeding heart here taking that into consideration including you. You want to cry for the individuals transferring. Where's the sympathy for the other players affected. Apparently they don't fit into the neat little box you've prepared.

Okay, so you think I'm a heartless SOB. Fine, maybe I am. But I'm not playing favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk2DlQuog6E

« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 02:17:51 PM by CaptainCargo »
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: June 16, 2019, 02:24:39 PM »

...Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said Tuesday he believes all student-athletes who want to transfer should sit out one year, with no exceptions. ...

How about also: a team cannot fill the scholarship for a year either.
The Bowlsby ultimatum raises some thorny issues.
Kelly Bryant left Clemson with a year of eligibility left thanks to the NCAA rule change regarding red-shirts.
Bryant is a graduate of Clemson but the Bowlsby rule says 'NO EXCEPTIONS".
So Bryant, absent some amendments to the Bowlsby rule, would have gone to the NFL. Or tried to.
If circumstances of graduation were no part of this situation does a returning  redshirt senior who has been benched have to remain at the school where he is likely not to  play?

Bru McCoy( 5 stars) signed with USC, practically his home town school. In addition Cliff Kingsbury was to be the Trojan offensive coordinator.  But Kingsbury took off for the NFL so McCoy took off for Texas.  After spring practice he decided he was homesick for southern California. Now he is applying for a waiver to come back to the team he signed with.
Which school would the Bowlsby rule dictate McCoy could play football?

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: June 17, 2019, 09:14:32 PM »

He would have to take two years off.  this year for the transfer to Texas and next year for the transfer back.

...and maybe a third for promising himself to Oregon before he changed his mind again.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: June 18, 2019, 11:54:16 AM »

LOL

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: June 18, 2019, 12:50:25 PM »

He would have to take two years off.  this year for the transfer to Texas and next year for the transfer back.

...and maybe a third for promising himself to Oregon before he changed his mind again.
Well, The Big12 Commissioner says “ No Exceptions!
And did you confuse McCoy withChris Steele?
Steele decided to transfer from Florida. He first committed to Oregon before settling onUSC.
Anyway. Another “ exception” to laugh at.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: June 18, 2019, 01:34:49 PM »

did you confuse McCoy with Chris Steele?

Oh yeah...it was Steele that said he was going to Oregon.

I think I'm going to wait until I see either of these two guys in a Cardinal and Gold uniform before I think too much more about them.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: June 26, 2019, 07:52:27 PM »

Harbaugh makin a move baby.

7th commit in 4 days boosts U-M's class ranking

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27062517/7th-commit-4-days-boosts-u-m-class-ranking

Watching the films I can find I'm very impressed with Mohan. A bit undersized but that can change. Kid could turn out to be a star.

Persi has possibilities but is going to have to get a lot bigger. Atteberry is the OL I'll keep my eye on though.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: June 27, 2019, 10:42:44 PM »

My Top 11:

11. Utah

The PAWCP South is a mess right now, which is an opportunity for a well-constructed, well coached team like Utah.  I like their defense; even with a couple departures in the secondary, the core of the group remains, and should improve.  Offensively, reasonable health for Huntley should help provide enough offense.  They do not have a power conference OOC opponent, and miss out on both Oregon and Stanford. Weak schedule, mucked up South means Utah should be in the PAWCP final.

10. Meatchicken

I think you all know how painful it was for me to even write that much.  

9. Texas

Texas may be, for me, the team that replaces the Mark Richt era Georgia Bulldogs as the team I consistently overrate, year in, year out.  Ehlinger couldn’t beat Lake Travis, sure, but he is a good college quarterback, and Herman is a fine coach who has been recruiting well.  It may take them a while to get the defense sorted out, with only 2 returning starters.  Fortunately, defense is irrelevant in the Pure Prairie League.  Unfortunately, they have LSU in week 2.  They look to be the second best team in the PPL.

8. Louisiana State University

Amazing what a merely competent quarterback can do for an offense.  After years of watching stellar defenses lose out on glory because of the inability to achieve mere competence at One. Specific. Position., Just OK Joe Burrow is just OK enough to win any time LSU is not playing a team whose name rhymes with Malabama. They have some holes to fill on Defense, including replacing 2019 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year Greedy Williams, but they have a lot of depth to replace anyone with.  I just don’t think they get over Sabin Mountain.

7. Oregon

Someone is winning the PAWCP, and missing the Playoffs. I like Washington’s coach, and new portal quarterback, but do not trust them to make good on the defensive losses.  Herbert did not impress me when I saw them, albeit a lot of that was against one of the NCAA’s better defenses in the most snooze inducing bowl game of last winter, but he has all the tools, and good running backs and line to lean on.  Defensively, they have a good but not great defense, but it should be enough.  They have to survive Auburn early, and Washington on the road, to be a CFP team, and I do not think they do that.

6. Alabama

Because I have them losing to Georgia and being the best team not in the CFP.  They lost a lof of talent in the draft, sure, but they are strong and deep everywhere.  Alabama is one of the handful of “reload” teams in CFB, so even if I did not know who was taking Quinnen Williams’s place (Phidarian Mathis?  D J Dale?) I know it is a talent.  Yhere is two, three deep talent all through the defense. Taglovailoa is one of the top returning quarterbacks, Najee Harris and Trey Sanders should become the top RB options without missing a beat, and Judge Jeudy gives Taglovailoa the top target in the NCAA.  So why do I Have them missing the playoffs?  Is it because the odds against Bama/ClemSIN V make me want to keep one out, and it isn’t going to be the only really good team in the South Atlantic League?  Is it because I actually hate Nick Satan that much?  Is it a hunch?  Was Alabama tails? I’ll never tell.

5. Oklahoma

Nine starters return on Defense, which is only kind of good news. They could not stop the running game, and had an even worse pass defense.  Part of it is the culture of the Pure Prairie League, where every team tries to out-offense each other, and offense wins championships. But without improvements, they are not going to get through Alaborgia or ClemSIN.  Offensively, Hurts has a lot of the skills Murray had, but Murray was a better controlled passer.  Still, there is so much talent on the line and receiving that Hurts should be able to come close to the Heisman level performance Oklahoma has had for years.

4. the Ohio State

If Alabama gets in over a conference champ – in addition to the PAWCP – it is here.  The Buckeyes have one of their periodic “between home and home” cupcake OOC schedules – the best team they play is Cinci - but there are a handful of games that they could lose on their schedule. The Big Whatever’s West may lack a stellar team, but it is deep and OSU has three of the contenders on its schedule, in addition to whoever wins in the Big Whatever championship game.  They get two of the three strong East teams – PSU, MSU – at home, and get to suck the life out of Jim “OSU’s Your Daddy” Harbaugh in Ann Arbor. I do not think the Committee would put a one loss non-champ in against a one loss conference champ, but they sure as hell are willing to put a one loss non-champ in over a two loss champ, particularly if the one loss non champ is Alabama. I am putting some trust in tOSU’s ability to restock after losses, and for New Guy QB to be able to seamlessly integrate into the offense, run by New Guy Head Coach, but the returning talent is strong on both sides of the ball, everywhere.

3. Georgia

Because Jake Fromm, a strong offensive line – one of the nation’s best – a bevy of running backs and a supremely talented defense that only needs to get a little better against the run.  The schedule is tough – the OOC includes Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie and while God’s Conference East is still the weaker half, they draw Auburn on the road and TAMU – but doable.

2. ClemSIN

Trevor Lawrence may have Jennifer Lawrence’s hair, but he also has Justin Ross, Travis Etienne and 4/5 of last year’s great o line to support him.  Defensively, you’d think losing your entire defensive line to the NFL would indicate that there is some work to be done, but they have experienced depth waiting to come in.  The South Atlantic League is weak again, but ClemSIN does have a tough OOC game against TAMU.  Still, the toughest league game looks like an early season matchup with the Cuse, and in the old days the chance that they would Clemson away an easy win would always be there.  I think they are past that.  Only one team has ever repeated since the BCS era started, but there is no reason that they cannot be the second.

1. EVENTUAL 2019-2020 NATIONAL CHAMPION MICHIGAN STATE!

Well, we should have a tough defense that can keep us in every game – 8 returning starters including potential first round choice Kenny Willekes, who heads up one of the better D Lines in the country.  Bachie and Scott are also possible All Americans.  We can hold any offense in check, for a while at least.  I am placing a lot of trust in the idea that the arm injury to Eventual 2019 Heisman Trophy Winner Brian Lewerke, and not regression to the mean, was the reason he was so much worse in 2018 than 2017.  We also have to figure out the running back position, and need improvement on the O Line.  The schedule has a really tough stretch – OSU, Wisky on the road, PSU at home, and then at Michigan (granted, with two off days – three if you count Illinois – mixed in).  But revenge against the Fightin’ Edwards’s in East Lansing highlights a very doable OOC schedule.  I am thinking this year is like 2013, where we followed up a 7-6 year that featured some very close losses with a Rose Bowl win.  

The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: June 30, 2019, 05:49:33 PM »

Life after Urban looks good then?

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: July 01, 2019, 06:23:18 AM »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27093210/maryland-hit-warning-accrediting-agency

Maryland hit with warning by accrediting agency:

I don't think this comes as a surprise to very many people. The roller coaster way Maryland's review was handled assured that this current ruling was bound to happen IMO. In fact I'm slightly surprised the ruling was this 'gentle'.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: July 01, 2019, 10:56:55 AM »

Life after Urban looks good then?
Same players.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: July 12, 2019, 06:52:50 AM »

The Big 10 has made some gains in the ESPN recruiting rankings lately. OSU moved up a couple of slots to 3rd. Michigan is up 5 slots to 5th, and Penn St is up 7 slots to 10th. Sounds like a stock market report.

Rivals the Premier ranking service still has Clemson and LSU in a closely contested battle for the #1 slot with Bama well within striking distance.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: July 12, 2019, 10:28:41 AM »

I'm tempted to reply to the stock report with a flippant comment about how well we are going to do...but I realize with our performance lately, I'm going to start sounding like Steve and his annual prediction of the National Championship for MSU

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: July 13, 2019, 01:08:55 PM »

I'm not sure we can sink much lower...

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-football-uc-davis-fcs-opponent-20190712-story.html

Maybe we will put names on the back of the jerseys next.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 329