Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 250211 times)

Espnthree

• View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #2235 on: July 20, 2019, 09:09:44 PM »

In case it has escaped your attention it hasn't been repeated since then. And IMO it won’t be in the near future.
The objective is to get the two best teams in the playoff championship game. Whether it's the 3 and 4 teams or any other combination, the objective is to get the two best teams into the championship game.
Hmmmm. For 15 years we had a system to do that.
Then it was changed to the top four.
But you said the Committee is charged  with getting the top two? 
Thats not true.

Nope, didn't say that.
That’s what you wrote.
And in the first year that didn’t happen.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: July 21, 2019, 10:48:20 AM »

At the risk of setting you off on one of your "if you agree with the person I am arguing with you must be doing it only to piss me off" rants, if the objective of the committee is to get the two best teams in the championship why do they:

a. Select FOUR teams, and
b. Play the championship game?

The Committee's role is to select the four most deserving teams to play in the playoffs, based on the regular season. Given the rubric they operate under I think the committee has done an excellent job, each year. As does Delaney, by the way. That does not mean that the rubric they use is the only possible, or even the best, one. It also does not mean that the current rubric does not reward certain conference choices - note the presence of a Pure Prairie League championship game, and the lack of a 9th Conference game for God's Conference. I have always argued that the current system undervalues Championships, and that given the lack of true cross conference OOC competition and the four team limit there should only be Conference Champions in the playoffs.

Though I think the best way to meet my, and Delaney's, point is to have 8 teams in the playoffs.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: July 21, 2019, 04:07:03 PM »

Though I think the best way to meet my, and Delaney's, point is to have 8 teams in the playoffs.
So do a lot of athletic directors. The current playoff contract ends in 2025 and this Spring
eight national nonconference games were announced. All but one of them was scheduled after 2025.
These include Florida's  announcement of a home-and-home with Colorado in 2028-29 and  a home-and-home series with Texas in 2030-31.The Gators haven't gone outside the state for a nonconference regular-season game since 1991, and it has not played a home-and-home out of state since 1989.
It looks like the power five scheduling is now being done by administrators who finally have grown some balls.
Even if the risk of playing a tough schedule does not mean a playoff spot it is also a hedge against declining attendance at cupcake games. Right now average attendance at FBS games is 41,000, a 5000 per game drop in the past few years.
Among the most proactive schedulers are AD's at SEC Schools who only play an 8 game schedule. Auburn has  a home-and-home with Penn State in 2021-22. LSU is playing Texas each of the next two seasons. Clemson (2025-26) and Oklahoma (2027-28) have also done home-and-homes with the Tigers. Notre Dame will come to Georgia on Sept. 21, returning the 2017 game in South Bend, Indiana.

And consider the future schedules of Georgia.
Between 2020-33, Georgia will play 13 nonconference games against Power Five opponents and Notre Dame. That's the equivalent of one full season of must-see nonconference games. The current slate includes home-and-homes against UCLA and Clemson (twice). The total doesn't include the annual rivalry game with Georgia Tech.

The fact of the matter is schools without a power five team on their non conference schedules after 2025 are going to be hurting in SOS.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 04:09:44 PM by Espnthree »

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: July 22, 2019, 01:44:20 PM »

In case it has escaped your attention it hasn't been repeated since then. And IMO it won’t be in the near future.
The objective is to get the two best teams in the playoff championship game. Whether it's the 3 and 4 teams or any other combination, the objective is to get the two best teams into the championship game.
Hmmmm. For 15 years we had a system to do that.
Then it was changed to the top four.
But you said the Committee is charged  with getting the top two? 
Thats not true.

Nope, didn't say that.
That’s what you wrote.
And in the first year that didn’t happen.

Nope that's not what I wrote either. Your reading comprehension sucks as usual.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: July 22, 2019, 01:45:56 PM »

At the risk of setting you off on one of your "if you agree with the person I am arguing with you must be doing it only to piss me off" rants, if the objective of the committee is to get the two best teams in the championship why do they:

The Committee's role is to select the four most deserving teams to play in the playoffs, based on the regular season. Given the rubric they operate under I think the committee has done an excellent job, each year. As does Delaney, by the way. That does not mean that the rubric they use is the only possible, or even the best, one. It also does not mean that the current rubric does not reward certain conference choices - note the presence of a Pure Prairie League championship game, and the lack of a 9th Conference game for God's Conference. I have always argued that the current system undervalues Championships, and that given the lack of true cross conference OOC competition and the four team limit there should only be Conference Champions in the playoffs.

Your talking role I'm talking ultimate objective.

Now going under that premise you can re-write your post if you'd like. Although much of it I agree with. I would argue the Delaney is happy with the Committee part. His spouting off would seem to directly contradict that thought.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 01:48:44 PM by CaptainCargo »

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: July 22, 2019, 02:04:23 PM »

Hence b., supra.

Now going under that premise you can re-write your post if you'd like. Although much of it I agree with. I would argue the Delaney is happy with the Committee part. His spouting off would seem to directly contradict that thought.
Delaney, like me, thinks the Committee has done the right job under the current rubric. He wants that rubric changed.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: July 22, 2019, 07:26:14 PM »

Hence b., supra.

Delaney, like me, thinks the Committee has done the right job under the current rubric. He wants that rubric changed.

As to the first you're argument seems to be the chicken and the egg. There's not going to be a winner in that argument for either of us. I assume that is why you did it. Which is why I used the term ultimate objective. I assume you believe that since you have 'b' in there then you've done an end around on my point. When in actuality you've simply come to my end game with a few extra words.

As to the second, Delaney clearly IMO doesn't think the committee has done a great job. Because he is complaining that they haven't put what he wants to be most important into a greater degree of effect, under the current rubric as you put it. He's arguing/intimating that, if they had done their job correctly in the first place, the 'rubric' wouldn't need to be changed. Because he can't understand why the Buckeyes were placed where they were. Can't understand IMO  translates to 'I don't agree'. At least all of the Empirical evidence points to that conclusion. I would however be willing to entertain your thoughts on why you think he is happy with the job the committee has been doing based solely on information in the article itself.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: July 23, 2019, 11:37:24 AM »

The point was you had the Committee concerned with either too few or too many teams. I think the ultimate objective of the Committee is to field the right four teams, because that is the only thing they control. But if you think getting the right end result, why stop at two? Why would their ultimate end come after only one round?

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: July 23, 2019, 05:40:50 PM »

Cool. I respect your opinion.

And I think their ultimate objective is the same as the BCS's was. Get the two best teams in the championship game.

If something else comes along some day to supplant both of the above I would hazard that its ultimate objective will be to …..

You guessed it, get the two best teams into the Championship game. Rinse and repeat.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: July 24, 2019, 07:58:34 PM »

Ryan Day plucks a LA linebacker and keeps tOSU recruiting juggernaut from missing Urban Meyer.

Another poorly kept secret was made public Wednesday afternoon when four-star linebacker Kourt Williams of Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco announced his commitment to Ohio State.

This should feel like an event. Williams is a national top-175 prospect who had scholarship offers from everyone, and he chose to leave the L.A. area to continue his football career across the country in Ohio. Accomplishing that is supposed to be hard. Yet somehow, Ryan Day has continued the tradition Urban Meyer created in making national recruiting feel ordinary.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: July 24, 2019, 09:50:36 PM »

I've watched a lots of film on this kid. For once your hype is deserved Skip.

This kid is the real deal and has star potential IMO.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: July 27, 2019, 01:36:30 PM »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27265294/in-state-dt-recruit-roy-commits-lsu-again

In-state DT recruit Roy commits to LSU -- again

This slides the Bayou Bengals to first place in the preeminent RIVALS ranking service. Number one in the state according to them and the 73rd ranked prospect nationally.

Clemson is still my odds on favorite to take the final spot though even though they are currently 4th in the standings. The other three LSU, Alabama, and OSU all have 22 recruits while Clemson only has 18. It's a horse race and Clemson looks IMO to pull it out coming down the stretch.

As to Roy I've watched him for a couple of years now. He's got next level talent if his work ethic is stellar. He's a pure DT IMO but has short burst quickness rare for a man of his size. He needs to work on his upper body strength. Excellent pick-up for LSU.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: July 31, 2019, 08:18:25 PM »

The same Village Idiot that came up with Pac 12 After Dark as "a great concept to expose West Coast Football to the rest of the country" has now come up with the alternate 9am kickoff so the "rest of the country" can enjoy Pac 12 football at a more traditional Noon start time.  What a great idea.  Now Pac 12 fans with small children can alternate between leaving their homes at 4:30am to get to the 9am game tailgates and arriving back home after midnight for those 8 and 8:30pm start times.

Do the rest of the country a favor and Fire Larry Scott Now

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: August 01, 2019, 03:08:58 PM »

I like getting the PAC12 games late here on the right coast. Someone needs to kick that idiot in the nads.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 329