Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 258288 times)

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #2385 on: September 03, 2019, 01:48:56 PM »

And thank God, too.  If I listened to the non-gambler Kid I would have lost my house.

I lost my house once. I was walking home(apartment actually but the theory still applies) I was incredibly blitzed. I had lived in three different apartments in a ten block radius from age 18 and couldn't remember which one of them was my current residence. Sat on the street curb for about an hour before I sobered up enough to realize which one I lived in.
This was... last.weekend?

LOL

I gave up smoking and drinking close to 40 years ago.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: September 03, 2019, 02:08:26 PM »

Northwestern plays defense.

Teams that don't play offense....

No. Stanford just played 'better' defense.
Boise State played "better" offense.

One sided teams fly as far.as one winged birds.

Actually I thought it was a case of a good defense being poorly conditioned. The Nole defense was clearly gassed in the second half. Maybe you watched a different game?
I saw the game where a team scored 31 first half points and 0 second half points.

I saw a game where a defense couldn't hold an 18 point lead.
One TD in the second half and that is moot.

I mean, after Friday the good lord knows I am hoping Defense wins championships but I doubt it. TEAMS win championships.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: September 03, 2019, 04:11:39 PM »

EVENTUAL 2019-2020 NATIONAL CHAMPION MICHIGAN STATE 27, Western Michigan 3

I do not care if it includes sacks and a couple of snaps over the quarterback’s head.  – 73 rushing yards is impressive.  On the other hand, there is a real chance that any team that scores two touchdowns on us will beat us.  Because defense does not win championships, teams do.  And a one winged bird won’t fly. We need Eventual 2019 Heisman Trophy Winner Brian Lewerke to start living up to the hype.  Namely, my hype as set forth in the previous sentence.

Army 24, Meatchicken 21

Is this wishful thinking?  Fuck yes it is wishful thinking. Can I come up with a rationale to cover for that?  Maaaybe.  They have a strong defense and a diverse and unique run game that can give a young defense fi… no, I cannot justify it.  Meatchicken 35, Army 7.

THE 34, Cincinnati 17

I think Fields can handle the offense, though I think he needs to establish the longer passing game to free up the running game and help with pass protection.  I was mainly interested in watching the Defense against the phallically helmeted Fihting Kiffins.  And the defense looked pretty good until boredom set in.  That is a problem; I have never warmed to the idea of turning it on and off in any sport, but particularly football.

Pennsylvania State 42, Buffalo 3

Assuming that is the Bulls and not the Bills…. PSU did what it needed to do against the FCS cupcake. The Bills look to be all run, and I do not think all run can take down a stronger team.  Not 144 points, or whatever they put up when they vandalized Idaho, but more than enough their second of five straight opening cakewalks.

CelmSIN 37, The Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas 10

True fun fact: officially, the “A&M” now stands for… A&M. I think you need a balanced offense to take down Clemson – at least until their wins are vacated by the NCAA for recruiting violations -  unless you are Indiana.  Clemson cannot beat Indiana – and I think TAMU is too run dependent.  Jennifer Lawrence looked a little off against Tech, but Etienne is a star.

Louisiana State 27, Texas 20

It is a little early to start with the obituaries for the dominance of God’s Conference.  It is top heavy, to be sure, but the top is, well, heavy.  I do like Texas and what Herman is doing there, but I think LSU Burrows through the ‘horn defense enough to pull one out for the conference.

Stanford 20, Southern California 10

Sorry troj, but that Stanford defense looked strong, especially for a true freshman who thought he was going to hold the clip board for a while. I realize Stanford may also be on their backup QB, but I think it matters more for SC.

Syracuse 23, Maryland 20

The dream is over, yankguy.  Syracuse is the second best team in the South Atlantic League, I guess, but that is pretty feint praise. Nevertheless, they should be able to handle the Terps.

Minnesota 21, Fresno State 12

Mind you, sensible Minnesotans are in bed before this game kicks off.  I am not sold on the Gophers, but I was unimpressed by the Raisins (I assume that is their name.  Fresno State Gateway to Yosemites is too long) Saturday. 

Colorado 24, Nebraska 13

I do not buy the Frostian hype.  I think Nebraska is ordinary. Best player on the field is Shenault.

Brigham Young 23, Tennessee 21

I am only picking this game to dog pile on Tennessee.  What a horrible, horrible loss Saturday.  Horrible.

Washington 42, Cal 17

There are not a lot of quality intersectional games this week, so I am wrapping up with a couple of early season conference games.

Arkansas 10, Old Mississippi 5

A team that barely squeaked past a Neil Lomax-less Portland State v. a team that lost to a midling strong mid major.  Wake me if it is ever over.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 05:13:29 PM by Hairy Lime »
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: September 03, 2019, 04:34:32 PM »

For Maryland it's all about getting ready for their homecoming game against Michigan. 
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: September 03, 2019, 04:37:53 PM »

Daniels is out for the season.

I feel bad for him as a person.   Not disappointed he will not be our starter.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: September 03, 2019, 04:39:31 PM »

I realize Stanford may also be on their backup QB, but I think it matters more for SC.

Actually what really matters is... which back up is better?
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: September 03, 2019, 05:12:57 PM »

I realize Stanford may also be on their backup QB, but I think it matters more for SC.

Actually what really matters is... which back up is better?
Well, "better" given the demands placed on the QB by the two systems.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: September 03, 2019, 05:53:45 PM »

Actually I thought it was a case of a good defense being poorly conditioned. The Nole defense was clearly gassed in the second half. Maybe you watched a different game?
I saw the game where a team scored 31 first half points and 0 second half points.

I mean, after Friday the good lord knows I am hoping Defense wins championships but I doubt it. TEAMS win championships.

I this case I think it was more that one team was better conditioned than the other. On both sides of the rock.

As to the Sparties I'm always impressed to varying degrees with their defense. I think they will have one of their better ones this year.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: September 03, 2019, 06:34:33 PM »

I this case I think it was more that one team was better conditioned than the other. On both sides of the rock.

As to the Sparties I'm always impressed to varying degrees with their defense. I think they will have one of their better ones this year.
You don't think 49 second half yards with 4 first downs on offense might have a little something to do with the defense's being gassed in the second half?

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: September 03, 2019, 06:35:06 PM »

Power conference programs Boise State has beaten since 2006:
Oklahoma
Oregon (3 times)
Virginia Tech
Georgia
Arizona State
Washington (twice)
Arizona
Virginia
Wazzu
Oregon State (3 times)

bosox26d

• View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: September 03, 2019, 06:51:03 PM »

And thank God, too.  If I listened to the non-gambler Kid I would have lost my house.

I lost my house once. I was walking home(apartment actually but the theory still applies) I was incredibly blitzed. I had lived in three different apartments in a ten block radius from age 18 and couldn't remember which one of them was my current residence. Sat on the street curb for about an hour before I sobered up enough to realize which one I lived in.
😂😂

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: September 03, 2019, 09:02:06 PM »

Syracuse is the second best team in the South Atlantic League, I guess, but that is pretty feint praise. Nevertheless, they should be able to handle the Terps.

I always spelled the word F-A-I-N-T as in “ damned him with faint praise.
Faint meaning barely perceptible therefore making the phrase an insult. ( as a verb it means to pass out).
Feint is mostly used as a verb but even as a noun it describes an action that deceives a opponent to achieve a desirable goal( He feinted a handoff and threw a TD pass to a wide-open receiver-his Hand-off was a feint that was followed by TD pass)

Maybe the above usage was a typo.
Or maybe we have a new usage.

I come down on the side of FAINT being the correct usage.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 09:04:36 PM by Espnthree »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: September 03, 2019, 09:29:30 PM »

Top 25 Friday 9/6

Boise State  -10.5   vs  Marshall

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: September 04, 2019, 02:33:04 PM »

You don't think 49 second half yards with 4 first downs on offense might have a little something to do with the defense's being gassed in the second half?

Once again, in case you missed it, I think it was a case of the team being poorly conditioned on both sides of the rock.

But since defense is clearly more important, always has been, I of course concentrated on that. I will however, if it will appease you, concede that the Nole offense didn't help matters. Still from what I saw the Nole defense had little to no real DL rotation to speak of and that is always a bad thing in Early season Florida day games. I used to live in Florida and anyone that has can attest tht the heat is oppressive. Much more so than Arizona type desert games. It's a different type of heat.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 02:37:49 PM by CaptainCargo »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: September 04, 2019, 02:49:05 PM »

Syracuse is the second best team in the South Atlantic League, I guess, but that is pretty feint praise. Nevertheless, they should be able to handle the Terps.

I always spelled the word F-A-I-N-T as in “ damned him with faint praise.
Faint meaning barely perceptible therefore making the phrase an insult. ( as a verb it means to pass out).
Feint is mostly used as a verb but even as a noun it describes an action that deceives a opponent to achieve a desirable goal( He feinted a handoff and threw a TD pass to a wide-open receiver-his Hand-off was a feint that was followed by TD pass)

Maybe the above usage was a typo.
Or maybe we have a new usage.

I come down on the side of FAINT being the correct usage.

Normally I look on people that nitpick about spelling and grammar as slightly annoying. And in in this case I'd probably overlook it as poetic justice. Since Stevo, to paraphrase, after all 'works with words'... Sorry Stevie LOL. Besides he may have meant it in a football sense in some way. He's overly clever like that.

But since it is you Skippy, one of the biggest dolts I've ever stumbled across and Stevo is one of the smartest guys I've ever stumbled across. Shaddap Skip.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 02:52:40 PM by CaptainCargo »
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 329