Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 53

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 45359 times)

Oiled

• View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #585 on: March 08, 2023, 05:35:44 PM »

You have no idea how long I have been sitting on that last joke.   

What a pity you had to get up!

Agree with your comment on the unsubtle messaging and also the effect of attaching a parallel storyline.  The parallel storyline with the armistice negotiation is not in the book, and the book also does give more time to Paul going home on leave and his often alienating encounters with the folks at home.  Sticking to the original text, in this case, might have helped.   And Remarque, though himself a German veteran, did not seem so anti French.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 05:37:42 PM by Oilcan »
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 09, 2023, 08:43:02 PM »

RIP Michael Gubitosi, aka Robert Blake, whose film career was one of the longest in Hollywood, due to his successfully transitioning from child actor to adult roles.  Acted from 1939-1997.  Lost Highway was his last film.

Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 13, 2023, 10:18:01 AM »

The RRR song was amazing,

I haven't seen The Whale, nor was it in theaters here.  Sounds interesting.

Generally I've lost confidence in the Oscars, as to choosing films and perfs on criteria of excellence.  The sweep of EEAAO seemed to me like a mistake, and possibly tainted by making a gesture of affirmation to the Asian community.  And $$$$$.  Just as one example, the Best Supp to JL Curtis, over Kerry Condon, was utterly ridiculous. 

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 13, 2023, 10:55:21 AM »

The RRR song was amazing,

I haven't seen The Whale, nor was it in theaters here.  Sounds interesting.

Generally I've lost confidence in the Oscars, as to choosing films and perfs on criteria of excellence.  The sweep of EEAAO seemed to me like a mistake, and possibly tainted by making a gesture of affirmation to the Asian community.  And $$$$$.  Just as one example, the Best Supp to JL Curtis, over Kerry Condon, was utterly ridiculous.
JLC is not Asian.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 13, 2023, 04:12:05 PM »

No, that was ridiculous simply in terms of comparative level of acting chops required.  Banshees was completely shut out. 

Many acting awards went to EEAaO, and Yeoh earned hers, but the overall sweep seemed to me out of proportion to the film's quality.  It's subjective of course so this is really just my take, and my impression is biased by the Academy's history of having one film sweep up more bald swordsmen than it deserves at the expense of other fine works of cinematic art.  You could go back to the 12th academy awards, and look at some of the contenders for the various awards that GWtW hoovered up.  Or years that The English Patient, West Side Story, Titanic, Ben Hur, Gigi, LOTR, et al bullied all their rivals. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 14, 2023, 09:29:19 AM »

While I agree that it would have been nice of AMPAS to toss the excellent BoI a carrot rather than give it the finger - Condon would have been my choice, for instance - I long ago stopped expecting Oscar to go to my choice for best, and starting hoping it would go to a worthy choice. And all of EEAAO wins are.truly deserving. At least as with GWTW (even in a great year and with highly problematic content), WSS and LotR: TRotK, they over awarded the movie i suspect the year will be most noted for.

On the other hand Martin McDonagh needs a screenplay Oscar. I do not think BoI was better, and not appreciably better, than EEAAO, and 3BOEM was up against GO whose screenplay i preferred, and 2009 was maybe a little to early for AMPAS to appreciate his extremely quotable to certain mindsets IB (though miles better than the rather curdled M). But he has written three great screenplays. Also,.7P, which was not.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 14, 2023, 12:49:02 PM »

Well I have to see a few more, Dreieck der Traurigkeit I am waiting for the disk to arrive, so I will admit I can't positively say EEAAO wasn't deserving of awards (will never recant on JamieLC, however, or my crush biased opinion on Kerry Condon). 

WSS is just a sad year, as it swaggered in and snatched gold from The Hustler, Judgement at Nuremberg, and La Dolce Vita, among others.  Boy boy, crazy boy.

Agree wholeheartedly on McDonagh and a screenplay Oscar.  Still haven't seen 7 Ps but the plot description remains one of the funniest I've ever read, and am reminded again to have a look.  It's lack of greatness, I suspect, will be a feature not a bug insofar as viewing pleasure goes. 

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 14, 2023, 02:42:19 PM »

There is an old series of books named the Slocum Western Series which would make a good series of Western films, the films can be shot right here in Southern California on a low budget and can help to create local jobs.

https://tinyurl.com/bp8k7vvt

The people in Hollywood who want to make movies locally need to read the Slocum Westerns, the film students who are graduating from the local film schools can help to make Slocum Westerns, etc. And the Slocum Westerns can be shot on a low budget, and you can hire the Playboy Playmates to star in the movies, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 04:55:05 PM by FlyingVProd »

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 16, 2023, 03:49:20 PM »

Well I have to see a few more, Dreieck der Traurigkeit I am waiting for the disk to arrive, so I will admit I can't positively say EEAAO wasn't deserving of awards (will never recant on JamieLC, however, or my crush biased opinion on Kerry Condon). 
Well, I am on record above as favoring Condon, and of the EEAAO pair I preferred Hsu. But Oscar voters love their narrative.
WSS is just a sad year, as it swaggered in and snatched gold from The Hustler, Judgement at Nuremberg, and La Dolce Vita, among others.  Boy boy, crazy boy.
Your opinion of it and its many currently highly problematic  issues aside, when people think of movies from 1961, what movie do they think of? Not The Hustler. I may think JaN or LDV as superior movies, but it is hard to deny what movie is emblematic from that year. 

Agree wholeheartedly on McDonagh and a screenplay Oscar.  Still haven't seen 7 Ps but the plot description remains one of the funniest I've ever read, and am reminded again to have a look.  It's lack of greatness, I suspect, will be a feature not a bug insofar as viewing pleasure goes.
Well, I was bored. It seemed twisted for the sake of being twisted.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 16, 2023, 04:20:18 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/mar/16/boston-strangler-review-keira-knightley-serial-killer-story-tells-fierce-tale

And this story of gruesome multiple murders is from....Disney?  I guess I've missed some tectonic shift in tone and theme at Disney. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 20, 2023, 12:16:21 PM »

Saw ItHotN on TMC last night and was as always, surprised to find my recollection of it as being in black and white to be wrong. As a mystery pretty random and unsatisfactory; the motive, the killer, the way the killer is caught all work with several different people. But I suppose that is not why it gets watched.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 20, 2023, 09:32:25 PM »

Thought I'd seen it, but a quick glance tells me I saw only the first sequel.  Which was definitely B grade film. 

All which reminds me (now I know I'm getting old because everything reminds me of something) of a date in college, she asks me to get her a "Pibb" to drink, and I bring it and tell her with Poitieresque sternness, "They call it MISTER Pibb!"  The pitying look that received haunts me still.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 25, 2023, 05:36:31 PM »

There could be a movie "The Door Man" about a young unemployed actor who is living in his car. He gets a job watching the door for a beautiful Movie Star in order to earn money to eat and to rent a cheap hotel room. An evil gang tries to extort money from the beautiful Movie Star but She refuses to pay the money to the criminals. The Door Man gets caught up in the War that ensues, and working together with the Movie Star and with her friends and neighbors the Enemy Gang is taken down. At the end of the movie the Door Man and the Movie Star and their team wins, and the Door Man marries a Beautiful Woman who was on their team who he fell in love with while helping to save everyone.

If the film is a success, then it can be made into a television show.

And it can all be made right here in Hollywood using local talent and local workers.

Salute,

Tony V.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 31, 2023, 08:38:03 PM »

An unusual rendition of The Third Man theme...

https://youtu.be/9roN_e891d4

Live audience in Maastricht, Netherlands.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 06, 2023, 12:41:28 AM »

By Grabthar's Hammer, you will be avenged!

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 53