Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 53

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 45852 times)

Oiled

• View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #645 on: August 03, 2023, 10:34:31 AM »

The Barbie flick had enough wit and subversion of the Barbie lore to satisfy those who approach dolls as objects of decapitation while not going quite dark enough to scare off Mattel's sponsorship.   The last line will undoubtedly take a secure place in future movie trivia nights around the globe.  As for Margot Robbie's portrayal, I can only marvel at someone so lovely and radiant and vibrantly alive taking on the role of a chunk of molded plastic.  However, full disclosure, I would marvel at Margot Robbie reading ingredients on a can of beans.
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: August 07, 2023, 03:59:47 PM »

It's a fl... a flaw in the iris.

Faye Dunaway never gets enough credit.
Sam: Those sons of bitches, they got him right through the neck.

Suzy: Was he a good dog?

Sam: Who's to say? But he didn't deserve to die.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #647 on: August 07, 2023, 07:52:13 PM »

She's my sister AND my daughter!

Yep.  She carried a lot of that movie.  I rank her with Ellen Burstyn, as standouts in the seventies. 

RIP William Friedkin btw.   

Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #648 on: August 19, 2023, 10:22:00 AM »

Explores the white savior film, with reference to the recent conservatorship drama playing out in the news....

https://www.npr.org/2023/08/18/1194535397/the-blind-side-michael-oher-white-savior

Really awful movie. 

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #649 on: August 20, 2023, 05:57:19 PM »

The Furnace is an Australian version of a Western, set in the 1890s, concerning an unlikely duo who come into possession of Crown gold ingots they need to get to a smelter so as to remove the Crown stamps. As with a US Western we are led to believe gold makes men crazy.  The main difference from US Western tropes is...camels.  Many camels, many cameleers, who were men of Sikh, Persian, and Afghan origin that came to the Outback in the nineteenth century to supply the main system of transport prior to the railroads.  The interactions between them, the British, and the Aboriginals were complex and sometimes ugly.  Not a great film, but held my interest

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #650 on: August 31, 2023, 09:26:21 AM »

Just an odd bit of flotsam that floated past my information intake....Hilary Swank just had twins this Spring, at age 48.  Impressive.  If the next 20 years weren't going to carry her into old age...they will now!

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #651 on: September 04, 2023, 02:12:19 PM »

Oppenheimer is somewhat uneven, with a staccato and annoying set of opening fast-cuts, but it eventually gets down to business and brings some acting talent that...well, let's just say that if an Irish actor with a very Irish face can persuade me that he's a Brooklyn born Jewish physicist, then you have a memorable performance.   The cast is generally so top-heavy  with major talents trying departures from their usual roles that it borders on distracting and makes me wonder when Nolan will stop trying so hard.  But none of this can obscure Murphy showing us the tormented soul of the Father of the Atom Bomb and eliciting our sympathy for a man finding himself trying to beat back the tide he helped to bring in.  This is a flawed movie but well worth the time.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #652 on: September 04, 2023, 02:42:55 PM »

Predatory to getting royally pissed at Kenneth Branagh, i decided to check out one of those standard mid 70s highly cast by the numbers Christie movies, Mirror, She Cracked, a surprisingly Marple free Miss Marple movie. Yeah, most famous star dunnit. Rote, dull. But. I do note the director, Guy Hamilton, who did one of the Ustinov Poirot and a handful of Bonds, as Assistant Director in the greatest movie ever made was the stand in for Orson "I am NOT going down into the sewer and you cannot fucking make me" Welles.

Walter Sobchak

• View Profile
« Reply #653 on: September 04, 2023, 03:43:57 PM »

Branagh is also in Oppenheimer, if you feel like adding to the piss.  There should be some kind of statute which forbids him to play foreigners.

Spouse said something about Rubella kissing, which will make sense to you, Lime, I gather.   Mirror Cracked (lol your aberrant title) does seem overlarded with Yank A Listers.  But if you're having a plot with actors playing fictional famous actors then I guess that's the low hanging fruit you pick.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #654 on: September 04, 2023, 03:47:38 PM »

Also, long weekend with my wife working, I decided to make a sort of OG RomCom double bill of Much Ado About Nothing and Pride and Prejudice. The MAAN was Youtube available version with David Tennant and Catherine Tate - not in my sphere of direct knowledge but apparently a Dr. Who reunion - that I had seen before. It was serviceable though it leaned too hard into, not just comedy but farce. The paired scenes where Beatrice and Benedick and Beatrice are played for gulls both had  badly distracting business, and Tate in particular was prone to hamming. Well, it was filmed on stage, so some of that, at least, was for the cheap seats. I do appreciate that they tried to give Hero some agency, but there being no lines befitting, they tried to do it through facial expressions. Still not bad, and it is one of my two favorite Shakespeare comedies, and it was enjoyable.

It was the 2005 version of PaP, with Kiera Knightly as Lizzie, Matthew Macfayden as Darcy, Rosalind Pike as Jane, Tom Hollander as the absurd Mr. Collind and... hey! Carey Mulligan! Anyway, I guess they did about as well as they could in keeping the novel together in 2 hours, primarily by rushing through everything except Elizabeth and Darcy. And while it is a truth, universally acknowledged, that a well loved novel  eing turned into a 2 hour movie must be in want of some pruning, you would expect the novel's most famous line ro make an appearance, somehow somewhere. Anyway, it was fine, though  I had always thought poor Lizzie was subject to the two worst proposals in English literary history, the movie made Darcy too empassioned and ardent and not a big enough dick.

And one last, just a first impression, but Women Talking goes on a list with Snakes on a Plane as a.contender for the most succinctly accurate movie title of all time.

Least accurate: The Neverending Story, and I am still pissed they made me leave the theater (not to mention The Neverending Story II, which should not have been possible) and Snatch,.which was surely false advertising.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #655 on: September 04, 2023, 04:06:21 PM »

Also, yes. Rubella.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #656 on: September 06, 2023, 12:51:49 PM »

My spouse asserts that it is a truth universally acknowledged that the 1995 miniseries with Colin Firth is the best production.  Firth is also AFAIK the only man to play Darcy twice, in two different productions based on two different novels. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #657 on: September 06, 2023, 01:41:27 PM »

My spouse asserts that it is a truth universally acknowledged that the 1995 miniseries with Colin Firth is the best production.  Firth is also AFAIK the only man to play Darcy twice, in two different productions based on two different novels.
That is what i have heard; the miniseries format gives it room to get into more of the book. However it is only available on BritBox as opposed to Netflix. I have looked. Though my interest in Firth going forth in his other take on Mr. Darcy is limited by my antipathy to a certain Squinty McPigface in the starring role.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #658 on: September 06, 2023, 01:55:30 PM »

I feel obligated to mention that despite my post of yesterday I am not planning to hunt, kill and eat Mr. Branagh,  not even in the service of the divineMs Emma who he so cruelly wronged. Preparatory is what I meant.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #659 on: September 06, 2023, 06:12:45 PM »

That is how I read it.  Autocorrect software has taught me to make better inferences on what word was intestine by the writer.

I will continue to exercise discretion regarding your hopeless infatuation with Ms Zellweger.   
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 53