Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 53

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 45764 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #660 on: September 07, 2023, 04:15:20 PM »

Just realized that the recent, forgettable Operation Mincemeat featured a Darcy-off.
Sam: Those sons of bitches, they got him right through the neck.

Suzy: Was he a good dog?

Sam: Who's to say? But he didn't deserve to die.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #661 on: September 08, 2023, 06:17:29 PM »

I had forgotten.  Validating your single-word review of OM.

I would say steer clear of the off-book adaptation Death Comes to Pemberley.  I like Jenna Coleman, and Matthew Rhys was a pretty good Darcy, haughty and sardonic, but I had to bail after a couple episodes due to the wretched anachronistic scripting and clumsy tinkering with Austen. 

I lean more towards Northanger Abbey, which is about as fun as Austen gets, is very adaptable to screen, and the one with Carey Mulligan and Felicity Jones is a hoot. 
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #662 on: September 27, 2023, 12:37:49 AM »

I would recommend The Mauritanian.  Powerful performance by Tahar Rahim, with a fine ensemble supporting.  It will not let go of me.
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #663 on: September 30, 2023, 03:33:40 PM »

Just finished Wes Anderson's four part video audio books, I can think of no other way to describe them, of Roald Dahl stories on Netflix. They appear to be the characters reading the stories word for word while the actions are enacted in the back, middle or fore ground. Actors play multiple characters, stage hands appear to move sets and handle props. Verbal styles of all of the actors are similarly clipped and fast, regardless of the character. 4th wall is non-existant. Details of set, costume, color scheme, quirkiness and framing scream Wes Anderson, as does the story within a story within a story motif. Complete and completely for Anderson unexpected absence of Bill Murray. Actually, except for Ralph Fiennes, who plays Dahl (story within etc.) and is in all four, and given my not seeing AC, none of his usual suspects. Anyway, I enjoyed them.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #664 on: September 30, 2023, 04:30:21 PM »

Will have a look.  I saw a preview for Henry Sugar, even that brief glimpse screamed WA.  I heard covid kept the ubiquitous Bill out of Asteroid City.  Haven't seen AC either. 

Benedict Cumberbatch in Henry Sugar is quite a different thing from him in The Mauritanian.  Starting to see him as quite the versatile fellow.  I call him Squinty McHorseface.   

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #665 on: October 25, 2023, 07:08:16 PM »

Thought of saving a couple posts from the short-lived Exelba forum, but the quote difficulty here makes it more chore than its worth.  And I would have to contact members and get their permissions to transfer some of their content.   Exelba is up for a little while longer, so I will leave such content clipping up to members.  Limes list of favorites was a good one, an exemplar of the quirky nature of lists that abandon purported objective standards and just say what is loved. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #666 on: October 27, 2023, 11:12:32 AM »

I turned 63 recently Which, I am sure, gets all of us thinking, what are HairyLimes favorite 63 movies released in his lifetime? For 1960 movies, they must be released in the US after to my birthdate, which excludes both The Apartment (June 15) and Psycho (June 16), but includes Shoot the Piano Player (October 21 in the UK, 1962 in the US). Movies released internationally prior to 1960 are not considered even if they had no US release until after 1960.

I am aware that I have, potentially, either 62 or 74 movies on this list depending on how one counts Dekalog and The Lord of the Rings, both of which I treat as one movie.

And note, these are my FAVORITE movies, which may or may not line up with best. I am aware of the argument that, say, objectively Pulp Fiction is better than, oh, Local Hero. And some haters would want to debate the inclusion of Shakespeare in Love and exclusion of Saving Private Ryan. Suck on it, haters. I know which one I want to rewatch. I should also note that the further down the list you get, the rankings are less certain. I am more interested in identifying the 63 movies than worrying about whether This Is Spinal Tap is better than Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

For those for whom the personal history of directors make a difference, I have multiple moves by convicted or alleged sexual predators on my list. I long ago determined that I did not want to live in a world without Chinatown or Annie Hall. If you feel otherwise, I have no issues with you. I am not going to berate you about the need to separate the art from the artist and humiliate you until your leg starts twitching uncontrollably (on the list, by the way. My fave scene from last year not involving sentient rocks. Also on the list). On the other hand, earlier iterations of this list would have included Manhattan, a movie I just cannot watch now without thinking about the allegations against Allen. I am aware of the inconsistency.

The list also contains something my lists rarely contain, reasonably recent movies, including three from last year. I usually let things percolate before ranking them, but I have become convinced in multiple viewings of each, that there were three fantastic movies released last year. Their respective rankings may alter, but they deserve a spot on the list.

1. Nashville
2. The Godfather
3. Au hasard Balthazar
4. Annie Hall
5. Chinatown
6. Dekalog
7. Fargo
9. A Separation
9. Raging Bull
10. Lord of the Rings Trilogy
11. Taxi Driver
Q2. Dr. Strangelove
13. No Country for Old Men
14. Hannah and Her Sisters
15. The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
16. Lawrence of Arabia
17. Chimes at Midnight
18. Goodfellas
Q9. Labyrinth of the Faun
20. The Double Life of Veronique
21. Get Out
22. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
23. Andrei Rublev
24. Paris, Texas
25. All That Jazz
26. Jaws
27. Everything Everywhere All At Once
28. The Gospel According to St. Matthew (1964)
29. Yojimbo
30. Knives Out
31. Das Boot
32. Knife in the Water
E3. Crimes and Misdemeanors
34. A Serious Man
35. Grand Budapest Hotel
36. Adaptation
E7. Tar
38. The Lion in Winter
39. Sideways
40. In Bruges
41. Shoot the Piano Player
42. Sita Sings the Blues
43. American Splendor
44. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
45. Witness
46. Apocalypse Now
47. The Producers
48. Banshees of Inisherin
49. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
50. Shakespeare in Love
51. Inside Llewyn Davis
52. Groundhog Day
53. LA Confidential
T4. Local Hero
55. Blood Simple
56. About Elly
57. Roger & Me
58. This is Spinal Tap
59. Stalker
60. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
61. The Great Escape
62. 2001 A Space Odyssey
63. 1917

I should also note that immedialy upon posting this list, I was struck with doubts, primarily movies.i inexplicably omitted, like Thelma and Louise, In the Loop and Gosford Park.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #667 on: October 29, 2023, 12:08:10 PM »

I am glad to see Get Out, Jordan Peeles sci-fi horror allegory surreal racial farce, included. 

Saw it again with a visiting relative and it held up well for a second viewing even though I knew the creepy developments that were coming. As kind of a meta observation on casting, I really like Josh on the West Wing being the seemingly benign father of the girlfriend who morphs into a mad doctor.  And Daniel Kaluuya is great, drawing us into his POV and delivering a stellar slow burn as the eugenic madness unfolds.  Lakeith Stanfield and Betty Gabriel genuinely evoked horror in me, something that straight up horror movies rarely do.

Given the approach of Halloween, I feel a re-view of Us and Nope is also on the weeks schedule.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #668 on: October 31, 2023, 07:00:11 PM »

If you are looking for a good scary movie to watch for Halloween, then one good old movie is "The Sentinel" starring Cristina Raines. I watched it on HBO when I was young and it was a very scary movie and it gave me nightmares as a kid.

Salute,

Tony V.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #669 on: November 01, 2023, 07:25:38 PM »

I watched it again recently.  Apparently $400 would get you a lot more apartment in the mid-seventies.  Did you know Ms Raines quit acting a few years later and became a nurse?  Unusual career trajectory.

I remember Burgess Meredith's character really made me squirm - very creepy.

Very much part of that trend in the 70s towards Catholic-based horror.

hamaotman

• View Profile
    • offtopic
offtopic
« Reply #670 on: November 22, 2023, 11:30:00 AM »

МЕГА ссылка через TOR  <a href="https://mega-stock.com/"> мега онион ссылка</a>

hamaotman

• View Profile
    • offtopic
offtopic
« Reply #671 on: November 22, 2023, 11:33:34 AM »

МЕГА ссылка через TOR  <a href="https://mega-stock.com/"> мега онион ссылка</a>