Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53]

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 45134 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #780 on: May 12, 2024, 08:55:21 AM »

I only hope the cause of death was by being attacked by crab monsters.

Roger Corman, Hollywood Mentor And 'King Of The Bs,' Dies At 98
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/roger-corman-hollywood-dies-98_n_66402c3de4b0866a5b2c088f
Wait...

This obituary was written by the late Associated Press reporter Bob Thomas, who 0died in 2014.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 12, 2024, 10:38:45 AM »

New hope for the dead!

Yeah, I remember my dad, a newsman, telling us how VIP obits were often written years in advance and stored in a file for quick retrieval and any needed amendments when the reaper or crab monster actually showed up.  The DeH sisters were in there for many years I'm sure.
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 12, 2024, 08:08:08 PM »

Forgot Matt Damon btw.  25, by my rough count.  I would also consider him a longterm contender in the Bernard Hill Memorial Oscar Osmosis Contest. (onlookers consult previous page if you are curious WTF I'm blathering about)  For sheer workaholism+competence, he is one of the champs.  Seems to embody Allen's Law, 95% of life is just showing up.

Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #783 on: May 13, 2024, 11:58:21 AM »

Forgot Matt Damon btw.  25, by my rough count.  I would also consider him a longterm contender in the Bernard Hill Memorial Oscar Osmosis Contest. (onlookers consult previous page if you are curious WTF I'm blathering about)  For sheer workaholism+competence, he is one of the champs.  Seems to embody Allen's Law, 95% of life is just showing up.
Yeah, he will take some of the smaller parts that could hit, like his role in Barbenheimer. I would expect either Damon or Leo to overtake Fiennes, since they both appear in a lot of prestige pictures.

Speaking of Oscar winners, I rewatched Branagh's version of Prince Hal, Part 3 over the weekend, and was oddly impressed at how well a young Christian Bale played dead.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 13, 2024, 02:56:23 PM »

Ian Holm. 30.

Return of the King: 11
The Aviator: 5
Fellowship 9f the R8ng: 4
The Madness of King George: 1
Chariots of Fire: 4
Nicholas and Alexandria: 2
Ash is  a Goddamn Robot: 1
Racacoonie: 1
Henry IV Part 3: 1

Had Oh! What a Lovely War! done anything like as well with Oscar as it did with BAFTA, he would give Fiennes a run. No more Oscars likely for him, though.

And for the record, John Cazale averaged 3 Oscars per film.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #785 on: May 13, 2024, 04:19:15 PM »

Completely overlooked Ash.  Makes sense you would notice post-viewing Hank 5.   He does good service in a garden where leeks did grow. 

I assume Branagh isn't a contender in the BHMOOC, just one-ing and two-ing it mostly. 

Had no idea Bale was a 15 year old casualty in H5.  A minor career dip after starring in Empire of the Sun I guess. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 13, 2024, 04:48:18 PM »

Any one in all of the three main Lord of the Rings movies has a nice leg up in this contest because that is 18. Although Viggo Mortensen (23) and Andy Serkis (26) are the only ones I spot in more than one other.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #787 on: May 13, 2024, 04:53:59 PM »

Actually, 2 of the Indiana Jones movies Rhys-Daviez was in won Oscars, so that is 23 for him 25 if you count Two Towers Twice. Since he had two parts.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #788 on: May 13, 2024, 10:47:02 PM »

Actually, 2 of the Indiana Jones movies Rhys-Daviez was in won Oscars, so that is 23 for him 25 if you count Two Towers Twice. Since he had two parts.

Heheh.  Do we really want to go down that road?  Then Armie Hammer gets 6 instead of 3 for playing the Winklevoss twins in The Social Network.  Imagine if Kind Hearts & Coronets had won multiple Oscars...

Walter Sobchak

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 14, 2024, 09:51:42 PM »

Anyone run the numbers on Streep?  If the Bernard Hill Memorial tally were nominations instead of wins, she might kick everyone's ass into next week.  If I'm wrong, I will eat the Pomeranian. 
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53]