Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53]

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 45589 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #780 on: May 12, 2024, 08:55:21 AM »

I only hope the cause of death was by being attacked by crab monsters.

Roger Corman, Hollywood Mentor And 'King Of The Bs,' Dies At 98
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/roger-corman-hollywood-dies-98_n_66402c3de4b0866a5b2c088f
Wait...

This obituary was written by the late Associated Press reporter Bob Thomas, who 0died in 2014.
Sam: Those sons of bitches, they got him right through the neck.

Suzy: Was he a good dog?

Sam: Who's to say? But he didn't deserve to die.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 12, 2024, 10:38:45 AM »

New hope for the dead!

Yeah, I remember my dad, a newsman, telling us how VIP obits were often written years in advance and stored in a file for quick retrieval and any needed amendments when the reaper or crab monster actually showed up.  The DeH sisters were in there for many years I'm sure.
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 12, 2024, 08:08:08 PM »

Forgot Matt Damon btw.  25, by my rough count.  I would also consider him a longterm contender in the Bernard Hill Memorial Oscar Osmosis Contest. (onlookers consult previous page if you are curious WTF I'm blathering about)  For sheer workaholism+competence, he is one of the champs.  Seems to embody Allen's Law, 95% of life is just showing up.

Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #783 on: May 13, 2024, 11:58:21 AM »

Forgot Matt Damon btw.  25, by my rough count.  I would also consider him a longterm contender in the Bernard Hill Memorial Oscar Osmosis Contest. (onlookers consult previous page if you are curious WTF I'm blathering about)  For sheer workaholism+competence, he is one of the champs.  Seems to embody Allen's Law, 95% of life is just showing up.
Yeah, he will take some of the smaller parts that could hit, like his role in Barbenheimer. I would expect either Damon or Leo to overtake Fiennes, since they both appear in a lot of prestige pictures.

Speaking of Oscar winners, I rewatched Branagh's version of Prince Hal, Part 3 over the weekend, and was oddly impressed at how well a young Christian Bale played dead.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 13, 2024, 02:56:23 PM »

Ian Holm. 30.

Return of the King: 11
The Aviator: 5
Fellowship 9f the R8ng: 4
The Madness of King George: 1
Chariots of Fire: 4
Nicholas and Alexandria: 2
Ash is  a Goddamn Robot: 1
Racacoonie: 1
Henry IV Part 3: 1

Had Oh! What a Lovely War! done anything like as well with Oscar as it did with BAFTA, he would give Fiennes a run. No more Oscars likely for him, though.

And for the record, John Cazale averaged 3 Oscars per film.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #785 on: May 13, 2024, 04:19:15 PM »

Completely overlooked Ash.  Makes sense you would notice post-viewing Hank 5.   He does good service in a garden where leeks did grow. 

I assume Branagh isn't a contender in the BHMOOC, just one-ing and two-ing it mostly. 

Had no idea Bale was a 15 year old casualty in H5.  A minor career dip after starring in Empire of the Sun I guess. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 13, 2024, 04:48:18 PM »

Any one in all of the three main Lord of the Rings movies has a nice leg up in this contest because that is 18. Although Viggo Mortensen (23) and Andy Serkis (26) are the only ones I spot in more than one other.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #787 on: May 13, 2024, 04:53:59 PM »

Actually, 2 of the Indiana Jones movies Rhys-Daviez was in won Oscars, so that is 23 for him 25 if you count Two Towers Twice. Since he had two parts.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #788 on: May 13, 2024, 10:47:02 PM »

Actually, 2 of the Indiana Jones movies Rhys-Daviez was in won Oscars, so that is 23 for him 25 if you count Two Towers Twice. Since he had two parts.

Heheh.  Do we really want to go down that road?  Then Armie Hammer gets 6 instead of 3 for playing the Winklevoss twins in The Social Network.  Imagine if Kind Hearts & Coronets had won multiple Oscars...

Walter Sobchak

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 14, 2024, 09:51:42 PM »

Anyone run the numbers on Streep?  If the Bernard Hill Memorial tally were nominations instead of wins, she might kick everyone's ass into next week.  If I'm wrong, I will eat the Pomeranian. 

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #790 on: May 17, 2024, 04:01:01 PM »

I just received a spam text telling me that I can earn $1,000 to be a Film Critic, they said they pay people to watch a movie in a theatre, and then to write their opinion of their experience with the film. I know it is all a scam, if it seems too good to be true then it probably is.

But, I am a free film critic for a site that was connected with the New York Times, and after I would watch a movie then I would go to the forum and share my thoughts about the movies which I had seen. I still do it at Escape From Elba.

And when I buy a new camera, and get a new internet connection, etc, then I could be a film critic and I could do a review of films and post the videos on You Tube, I could do it all for free, and then if people like my videos then maybe I can connect with MTV or someone and make some money as a Film Critic, or whatever.

Plus, I am a writer. And even now, when I go see a movie then I can tell you my opinion of the film, all for free.

And maybe some film students want to film stuff, such as doing film reviews like Siskel and Ebert, I can maybe find someone there to review films with me and we can put the videos on You Tube. And we can do it all for free, and then if it becomes famous then we can make money. You do the work for free and see if you can get popularity, and then you turn the popularity into money. And then the higher the ratings then the more money you get. With You Tube you are rated by how many views you get.

We will see, my schedule is starting to open up for a few months. I do not have any money, but I will have a few months of time to spend. I am already trained on voice and speech, and on how to act in front of a camera, etc, I could do free film reviews with students at Chapman film school and we can put the videos on You Tube. If people like the videos then maybe later it can lead to money.

(  Here is a video of an interview that I shot some time back with my friend Jon Nelson, Jon played guitar for The Red Hot Chili Peppers, and for Suicidal Tendencies, and for other bands, his current bands are NASTY HABITS and SLAMNATION and Cognitive Dissonance... Maybe I can do these type of interviews for MTV in the middle of the night, and film reviews, etc, and we could cover the Oscars for MTV, etc, we will see...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47YL7vd0pKQ  )

Salute,

Tony V.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 04:08:02 PM by FlyingVProd »

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #791 on: May 17, 2024, 04:29:05 PM »

Wasting time on YouTube yesterday, I watched the opening scene from Inglourius Basterds again, and was again struck with how nearly perfect the scene was. The writing, the acting, the reveal of the hiding family, the build up of tension, the homage to The Searchers near the end - except while Ethan Edwards turns his back on the civilized world to live forever as an outsider, Shoshanna runs from it in fucking terror. All first rate. And then Landa pulls out that ridiculous pipe and I am reminded that this great scene is appended to a fucking revenge fantasy cartoon. The scene deserves a movie that takes it seriously, not some hipster film buff jacking off. It is a great scene, jarring sudden comic relief inserted when the movie should keep building tension aside, but FUCK THAT MOVIE.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 17, 2024, 04:37:13 PM »

Though I do like the scene where Jude Law joins the Basterds in a tavern and gives away their identity by...

Fuck me. Again.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #793 on: May 17, 2024, 06:07:25 PM »

Odd how little I recall of the film.  Bass-Fender was in every war movie I saw in that general time period.  I havent much liked Tarantino post Jackie Brown.  Hipster film buff jacking off - describes him well.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #794 on: May 17, 2024, 06:11:21 PM »

Many reviews were blisteringly bad. Peter Bradshaw for The Guardian called it megabloated and megaboring. Tim Grierson for Screen Daily called it a disaster stymied by arbitrary plotting and numbing excess. Kevin Maher for the Times of London wrote that its a head-wrecking abomination. Critic Jessica Kiang said Megalopolis is a folly of such gargantuan proportions it is like observing the actual fall of Rome.

Now I am interested.

https://apnews.com/article/megalopolis-cannes-francis-ford-coppola-d965352b9f0f5d78d6c470beb801f6f8

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53]