Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 577

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 121778 times)

Holly Martins

Re: News in General
« Reply #420 on: July 13, 2022, 08:31:00 PM »

Primatologist Barbie!

https://people.com/human-interest/dr-jane-goodall-has-her-own-barbie-new-doll-made-of-90-recycled-ocean-bound-plastic/

Of course, if the child ends up tossing the doll, then it may still be ocean-bound plastic.  Still, maybe a baby step forward.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 13, 2022, 08:56:56 PM »

This means it is PERMANENT not that it happened quickly.

Shooting is quicker than suffocation, than poison, and then most hanging.

You still miss the point.  Thinking through it counts for time.  Long thought before trigger.

You don't get it.

For most forms of suicide, prep has to go into it.

Contrary to your understanding of it, suicide by gun is far more often an impulsive action, not a deeply premeditated one.

The incidence of suicide by gun is highest within the week of purchasing it. You say "long before trigger," but of course don't define your terms.

Let me try this on you again:
More people die of suicide by gun than all other methods combined. Guns are still used in far less than the majority of suicide efforts.

Suicide can be either carefully planned or impulsive. The numbers on impulsivity are all over the map (20-80%)| because our ability to gauge it among those who died is not great.

But we know two things:
1) Those who carefully plan it out are more likely to be successful, but
2) Those who use a gun are far less likely to have thought it out.

This explains why we have such a low ratio of attempts to deaths among suicidal folks.

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 13, 2022, 09:08:17 PM »

Shhhhh...

You have already said enough

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 13, 2022, 09:23:09 PM »

Shhhhh...

You have already said enough

Now can you learn from a source of better information than you had hitherto possessed?

I am doubtful, but your 227th chance starts now.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 13, 2022, 09:27:54 PM »

Know-it-all mod arguing over suicide

Fucking ferret face.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 13, 2022, 09:33:48 PM »

Know-it-all mod arguing over suicide

Fucking ferret face.

Mod who does research rather than express uninformed opinions.

No wonder you want me to "shhhhh..." - you despise being called out for your ignorance.

Kid, I wouldn't argue about suicide if (a) you weren't full of shit but expressing your bogus opinions anyway and (b) I had not spent much of the last 40 years working with suicidal folks.

But you are and I have.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 13, 2022, 09:44:03 PM »

That you continue to have the patience to argue with that dolt is to either your everlasting credit or everlasting shame, Josh.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 11:01:20 PM by Yankguy1 »
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #427 on: July 13, 2022, 11:01:35 PM »

That you continue to have the patience to argue with that dolt, Josh, is to either your everlasting credit or everlasting shame.

He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I will chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares Maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 14, 2022, 01:45:29 AM »

Amber was young and pretty.
How did it all go so wrong?
Comparison is the thief of joy.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 14, 2022, 03:01:51 AM »

Amber was young and pretty.
How did it all go so wrong?

As if "young and pretty" was ever protection from anything including one's own foibles.

Holly Martins

« Reply #430 on: July 14, 2022, 09:09:56 AM »

That you continue to have the patience to argue with that dolt is to either your everlasting credit or everlasting shame, Josh.

Holly Martins

« Reply #431 on: July 14, 2022, 09:19:29 AM »

That you continue to have the patience to argue with that dolt, Josh, is to either your everlasting credit or everlasting shame.

He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I will chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares Maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!

Khan you provide your source?

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 14, 2022, 10:07:25 AM »

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/14/1109345201/theres-a-massive-housing-shortage-across-the-u-s-heres-how-bad-it-is-where-you-l

I speculate two trends will result.  One, the Tiny House movement is really going to accelerate.  Two, we will see a culture shift towards multigenerational homes, as has been long the tradition in Asia. 

Our young neighbors are also following the trend to add a roommate who sleeps in a non-conforming bedroom.  Originally it was set up for two people, then the landlord allowed them to create a BR in the basement. 
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 14, 2022, 11:57:20 AM »

A surprisingly well done article for its length:
https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/14/health/signs-someone-is-suicidal-wellness/index.html

But nothing surprising.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 14, 2022, 02:17:46 PM »

On the issue of housing, as I have stated, I think that high density apartments that are built and designed nice, with swimming pools, and tennis courts, etc, like in Santorini, Greece, built in cheap locations like Battle Mountain, Nevada, are the way of the future in America.

In the cities we can have towers with the poor people on the bottom floors and the rich people can live on the top floors, and there can be a swimming pool on the roof, etc, like Empire West in West Hollywood.

And HUD needs to build like crazy.

Of note, here in California housing is so expensive that people share housing because it is all that they can afford, there are people here in my apartment complex with the parents and 4 kids living in a 1 bedroom apartment, there are whole families living in a 1 bedroom apartment.

In Italy people are having multigenerational homes, and many Latinos here in California have multigenerational homes. Of note, for many people their Grandparents do childcare, there are many benefits of multigenrational homes.

Salute,

Tony V.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 577