Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 295865 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #4590 on: June 16, 2021, 12:32:14 PM »

Sawamura a real find

Can Sox - as mediocre as they are - hold on to a playoff spot?

Baseball karma would say no, we'll see
Well, the Sox are 4 up on us, and we are one Aaron Civale blister away from a pitching staff comprising nothing but relie ears, so I'd say it is a safe bet.

Or did you mean a different shade of Sox?

According to some rumors there may soon be a third color of sox in MLB.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: June 16, 2021, 01:40:58 PM »

Yankees playing a home game in Buffalo. Don't think that MLB didn't know that was going to happen.

I'm sure they did, but what was the alternative?

Test market in Nashville would've worked.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: June 16, 2021, 01:49:12 PM »

Don't you think there would far more people in Nashville rooting for the Yankees than were rooting for Toronto as well? 
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: June 16, 2021, 03:57:54 PM »

Don't you think there would far more people in Nashville rooting for the Yankees than were rooting for Toronto as well?

Not necessarily, no.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: June 16, 2021, 04:15:26 PM »

Okay. 
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: June 16, 2021, 04:26:38 PM »

For those who like to play around at baseball ref, and check stats, they made some recent changes

https://www.baseball-reference.com/negro-leagues-are-major-leagues.shtml

The Negro Leagues are Major Leagues. We have dramatically expanded our coverage of the Negro Leagues and historical Black major league players. Read our Announcement

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: June 16, 2021, 05:07:12 PM »

Yankees playing a home game in Buffalo. Don't think that MLB didn't know that was going to happen.

I'm sure they did, but what was the alternative?

Test market in Nashville would've worked.

Not really. 10,000 capacity vs. 16,600 capacity. Need to negotiate for permission with a different franchise. Proximity to Toronto. More than sufficient to make the Buffalo option superior, even without the dance over the AAA season being played at First Horizon Park.

Nor did Milwaukee have as ready an alternative as Trenton for their AAA franchise to shift to, as had the Bisons stayed in Buffalo, there would not have been room for another team in their AAA sub-league.

Nashville was among many options considered and rejected.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: June 16, 2021, 08:49:15 PM »

Tough day for de Grom - K'ed 8 of the first 9, then out of the game w/a shoulder injury.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: June 16, 2021, 09:50:20 PM »

It was Bungle in the Jungle for today's Braves starter, Ian Anderson.

But we'll see whether it is the Sox staff that is thick as a brick.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: June 16, 2021, 10:51:36 PM »

sports fans in Atlanta are having themeslves a night

I hope one comeback is sufficient

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4600 on: June 16, 2021, 11:54:37 PM »

sports fans in Atlanta are having themeslves a night

I hope one comeback is sufficient

Seems to have been!

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: June 17, 2021, 09:11:56 AM »

Tough day for de Grom - K'ed 8 of the first 9, then out of the game w/a shoulder injury.

heh

(note - 2 other pitchers in history have struck out 8 in 3 innings and left the game - but both were on losing end)

Bruce Chen
Rich Harden

Historic season for JDG.  I hope he is clean.

Degrom also drove in another run - is 11 for 26 and has 6 RBI vs 4 earned runs allowed

Mets in good shape.

Re:  NL MVP vote

Vegas had DeGrom at 40-1 odds entering the season.  He is now at 2-1.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: June 17, 2021, 10:29:46 AM »

Keeping in mind one of the key baseball maxims put forth in the movie "Bull Durham" that "strikeouts are fascist", Zack Wheeler is the leading fascist in the NL in Ks with 118. If he was still with the Mets, he and DeGrom (111Ks) would have a combined 229 Ks at this juncture.

Wheeler is also leading the NL in innings pitched, adding value to his team in a way that no Mets pitcher is currently doing, and he is tied for the NL lead in quality starts with 11.

Last night, Wheeler outdueled Clayton Kershaw, though it was without his best stuff, yielding 4 walks, 5 hits, and only 6Ks in 6 IP. Wheeler has 14 scoreless innings pitched in the last two outings, holding Atlanta without a run in eight innings last week.

Thanks for letting him go, NYMets. 

He has always had good stuff, but it looks like now he has learned how to pitch.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: June 17, 2021, 10:38:59 AM »

Wheeler was a Mets mistake - as I said at the time.  Made less so by the work of M Stroman and emergence this year of T Walker.

Phils on outside looking in

Wild card hopefuls

NL

Mil
St Louis
Cincy
LAD
SD

AL

Boston
NY
Cle
Hou
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: June 17, 2021, 10:58:37 AM »

Wheeler was a Mets mistake - as I said at the time.  Made less so by the work of M Stroman and emergence this year of T Walker.

Phils on outside looking in

Wild card hopefuls

NL

Mil
St Louis
Cincy
LAD
SD

AL

Boston
NY
Cle
Hou

June 17.

If the Phils ever get the entire starting team on the field at the same time for an extended period of time, things will change rapidly. They are still very much in the NLE "race".

Heard some discussion about Scherzer to SF. If that happens, that will certainly shake up the NLW in a way that could leave SD or LA on the outside.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 11:00:23 AM by Hamilton Samuels »
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 469