Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 264638 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #4320 on: October 30, 2021, 05:23:53 PM »

So next year Meatchicken is replacing their field turf with a new synthetic made from recycled cardboard. Because their team is ways better on paper.

I am officially worried about Purducken next week.

So, you're saying Michigan is overrated and sucks.

Then why jump up and down like a weasel on steroids because your team won?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: October 30, 2021, 05:35:17 PM »

So next year Meatchicken is replacing their field turf with a new synthetic made from recycled cardboard. Because their team is ways better on paper.

To rephrase the question as an answer: Why jump up and down like a weasel on steroids? Because my team won.
Sam: Those sons of bitches, they got him right through the neck.

Suzy: Was he a good dog?

Sam: Who's to say? But he didn't deserve to die.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4322 on: October 30, 2021, 06:36:29 PM »

For the first time in the 20 + years I have been posting on this forum and its predecessor,  when I say EVENTUAL ... HEISMAN TROPHY WINNER I may actually mean it.

The kid has got some game.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: October 30, 2021, 06:38:26 PM »

Can I take a moment away from my euphoria to say how fucking awesome Georgia s defense is?

Yes, and you're right.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: October 30, 2021, 08:51:34 PM »

To rephrase the question as an answer: Why jump up and down like a weasel on steroids? Because my team won.

Not bad. Personally I would have preferred the 4 letter abbreviation you and I generally use.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: October 30, 2021, 11:51:40 PM »

Two great Big Ten games today.
Just outstanding.
Congrats to Michigan, PSU, MSU, and OSU for terrific hard-nose football.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: October 31, 2021, 08:31:30 AM »

Any guesses on the initial committee rankings? #1 is obvious; if it is not Georgia, they are watching a different game than I am. Beyond that, it is a crap shoot.

My guess:

1. Georgia.
2. Oklahoma
3. Alabama - because the TAMU loss is a q un-q good loss, looking better every week.
4. the - bear in mind the loss to Oregon does not automatically put the Ducks ahead of the for the same reason Stanford is not ahead of Oregon. I think there is enough of a gap between the two teams that it will not come into play.
5. Michigan State. Of the other unbeaten teams, I think we have the best win and the best overall strength of schedule.
6. Cincinnati.  The OLotPT win is quality, but no other win is impressive. (Well poor, poor Indiana)
7. Oregon - they have a problem with strength of schedule but they did finally push around a bas in conference center team.
8. Meatchicken
9. Woke.Forrest - have not lost yet, but as I have said before there is a difference between q un-q not lost yet and unbeaten.
10. OLotPT

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: October 31, 2021, 10:26:58 AM »

Here is a better question, maybe. Will anyone score two touchdowns against Georgia, before the God apostrophe s championship? Misery, Tennessee,  Charleston Southern or Georgia Tech? I am saying no.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: November 02, 2021, 02:21:58 PM »

EVENTUAL 2021-2022 NATIONAL CHAMPION MICHIGAN STATE 35, Purducken 13

Words cannot express how much this game worries me.  Purducken is a classic trap game, or would be if Maryland, yankguy possessive Maryland, was not also interposing between big games. They are just good enough to be a serious problem if we get caught looking, well, behind.  My guess is Tuck keeps us on task.  Even with Nailor iffy for the game with a bad hand, I think we can score often against a decent defense. Seriously, I Mean It This Year, Eventual 2021 Heisman Trophy Winner III probably will not hit for five touchdowns again, but I think we get the Peyton Thorne of the second half of Saturdays game, so a couple TD tosses to Reed get worked in.  We remain highly vulnerable to the air, but that is not the shot and beer team strength. As an aside, I missed swathes of the game Saturday, and only now realized just where we had Meatchickens band sit. That is some Grade A Petty Ass Expert trolling right there.

Georgia 27, Misery 3

Somewhere along the line, Georgia is going to need its offense to score points. That is the thing about saying defense wins championships; there is a reason Iowa is setting in the west; you still have to score. So far Georgia has a competent offense which has been enough, but there should be a reckoning some time when the offense needs to step up. Granted, the Georgia defense is historically epic, but I would sooner trust Stetson Bennet IV to probate a will than lead a drive with the game on the line. I do not think there is any way that matters this week. Or next. Or, well, until they play I assume Alabama in the Goody apostrophe s Headache Powder God apostrophe s Conference Championship Game.

Woke Forrest 35, North Carolina 31

Fun fact. This game has zero impact on the South Atlantic League standings. It is officially Out of Conference, the teams agreed to play an OOC game every year when the SAL split them into different divisions. I think WF is a nice story, especially considering who is NOT running the ball for them, and Hartman will be the best QB on the field Saturday.  They have a loss or two coming somewhere this year, but I am done picking UNC, under any circumstance.

the 49, Nebraska 17

Bo Pelini is not looking so bad, is he? Scott Frost is nearing the top of the Most Fired charts. But to paraphrase what I told my Meatchicken friends this week, Tom Osborn is not walking through that door. And neither are the relative level of recruits he used to get. The has players who are bigger, faster, stronger and better. Nebraska is at home, and they have played some tough games there, but the should handle them with ease.

Meatchicken 27, Indiana 7

Maryland spoiled the IU narrative last week but still, this will be the sixth team IU played who was ranked when they played them. They are also on a true freshman starting quarterback, against a really good defense that is likely to be angrier than a burlap bagful of wolverines that have been beaten with clubs by Lacedaemons.

the Pennsylvania State University 24, Maryland 13

PSU had a six quarters offensive nap when Clifford went out. He appears healthier now, and they did move the ball against the. They also have a really good red zone defense that kept the possessive scores down to field goals.  I think with Clifford they are a decent offensive team with a stellar defense. I think Maryland is OK, maybe the fifth best team in the Big However Many East. But the gap between them and the top 4 looks pretty broad.

Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie 35, Navy 14

This has often been a troublesome game for OLotPT, but not this year. Metaphorically Navy is about as seaworthy as the CSS H. L. Hunley. I am not sure why OLotPT has dropped so much in the playoff talks. Everyone seems to assume that they will not be in the picture, but their only loss is a pretty good one, and the Committee does look at how teams are playing NOW, rather than how they snuck through some games early in the year. It pains me to say it, but it would only take a mild amount of chaos, say a loss in the league championship game by the Big However Many East and a second Oregon loss, for them to be a serious contender.

ClemSIN 20, Louisville 13

Has anyone heard from jbott? He did not even surface when the lost to Oregon. I hope he did not load up on Nati Lights and roll the moped into a swamp somewhere.

Texas A and M 31, Auburn 20

Again, the Road Bo Nix is the Bad Bo Nix. This looks like the best game of the year on paper, and it could be, but somehow I am thinking TAMU strolls away with it early and Auburn makes the score respectable late.

Alabama 45, Playing out the String U 17

Boy, for years this was such a circle the calendar and make plans to make no plans kind of game, and for years it mostly lived up to expectations. Thanks, Ogeron! Not only are we going to have to double our coach possessive salary the CFB world is deprived of what should be a great game.  Anyway, if anyone thinks Satan is going to take the foot off the gas just because LSU is coasting to the end, they do not know Satan.

Arizona State 27, University of Southern California 20

Winzawin, yes, but USC beat one of the worst Power 5 schools by only 7 points. 7. A lot of my ASU fan friends are bailing on Herm Edwards, especially after last week. The team seems unprepared and uninspired for important games, and it would not surprise me to see him gone by the end of the year, especially if there are any legs to the NCAA investigation.  Still, USC is sleepwalking through this nightmare of a season and losing London for the year is a nail in a coffin for them.

Wisconsin 23, Rutgers 13

Wisconsin is winning the Big However Many West, despite starting the season 1 and 3 and having no offense to speak of, and they are definitely a threat to the East Champ. Just thought you should know.

West Virginia 31, Oklahoma State 24

Oklahoma State is not winning the Pure Prairie League, despite starting 6 and 0 and having a good defense. Just thought you should know.

Minnesota 23, Illinois 10

No team with that bad of an OOC schedule and who loses to a bad MAC team should be relevant this late in the year, but here we are. Minnesota is currently the leader of the Big However Many West. Granted, their last two games are Wisconsin and Iowa, which will resolve their issue one way or the other, but for now, they need to be taken seriously despite not being particularly good.

Iowa State 31, Texas 27

If games were only three quarters, Texas would be in the playoff picture. Wonder how big a 4th quarter lead they will hack up this week.

Oregon 31, Washington 13

The Ducks may have the best win of the playoff contenders, for now, but they also have the wurst loss and that will not get the sausage made. Washington has no offense to speak of.

Cincinnati 42, Tulsa 17

It is all about style points for the Three Ways now. See? they will say. WE ARE THREE POINTS BETTER THAN THE!

Bates 14, Bowdoin 10

Bates has one win this year, over Tufts. Tufts beat Bowdoin by 12. Bowdoin has one win this year, over Amherst. The Belles beat Bates by 8. That makes Bates 4 points better than Bowdoin, by my math. Those are my only two data points.  Fun fact, in the first of the BBC games, played last week, Bates lost to Colby 10 to 2, which was totally worth sitting outdoors in the late October Maine weather to watch.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 02:26:31 PM by Hairy Lime »

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: November 02, 2021, 06:27:19 PM »

Notable from the TV ratings last Saturday

MICH/MICHSTATE was the most watched game of the season with over 9 million viewers.
More proof that Fox was spot on in staging marquis matchups at noon.
Also a reminder to OSU fans that the UM/MSU rivalry is every bit as intense as OSU/UM( especially in the state of Michigan.)

OSU/ Penn State had over 7 million viewers  making Saturday a banner day for the B1G.
That number could have been higher were it not for the WORLD SERIES which won the sports ratings of the day with over 10 million watching.

The Cocktail Party delivered 6 million + even though Georgia sealed its win over Florida in the second quarter.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: November 03, 2021, 12:18:50 PM »

Pretty clear any of the first five teams that wins out is in the playoffs. After that?

Georgia is clearly in, even if they lose to Alabama in the God apostrophe s Conference Championship game.

Given where Alabama is ranked with one loss, it is possible that they could make the playoffs even with a loss to Georgia. It might take nothing more than the Big However Many West and PAWCP South winning their conference championships.

I was surprised that Oregon was above the, but first, winning out puts both in the playoffs, and I suspect the's strength of schedule would result in them flipping in the end, since the finishes with two top 7 teams and Oregon has... unranked Utah, probably twice.

Cincinnati needs a little help besides winning out. Granted there are two sure losses anong the five teams in front of them, but that is not enough. The and MSU will eliminate one team, but they also need Georgia to beat Alabama or a loss by Oregon or the MSU - the winner.

And then... Oklahoma. Cinci is a couple spots ahead of them now, but if Oklahoma wins out they will gain two (or three) wins against teams roughly equivalent in the rankings to Notre Dame, and a much stronger over all schedule. (The team between them is Michigan, which has a real tough road to the playoffs, involving beating the and MSU losing twice to get them in the conference championship.) I think an unbeaten Oklahoma jumps Cincinnati in the rankings.

Beyond the Top 8, I think you need chaos to get in. Woke running the table does not increase their strength of schedule much, Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie needs some two loss conference champs.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: November 03, 2021, 04:20:41 PM »

Here is an interesting question: if Oregon wins out and makes the playoffs, who represents the PAWCP in the Rose Bowl? I believe their deal allows them to take a PAWCP team, even if not in the Top 12, but who would that be? Utah would have five losses in that scenario - the three they have plus a regular season and championship game loss to Oregon. The only team, if the Ducks win out, that can have fewer than 4 losses is Arizona State but. I would put money on them losing one more time.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: November 03, 2021, 05:42:50 PM »

Who would the Big ten rep be?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4333 on: November 03, 2021, 06:37:56 PM »

Who would the Big ten rep be?
Well, one of the six teams in the Top 25, depending.

It is the winner of the Championship game, or next best team if the winner goes to the playoffs.

In my scenario Oregon wind the Championsip game and goes to the playoffs.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 06:39:28 PM by Hairy Lime »

bosox26d

• View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: November 05, 2021, 04:23:03 AM »

EVENTUAL 2021-2022 NATIONAL CHAMPION MICHIGAN STATE 35, Purducken 13

Words cannot express how much this game worries me.  Purducken is a classic trap game, or would be if Maryland, yankguy possessive Maryland, was not also interposing between big games. They are just good enough to be a serious problem if we get caught looking, well, behind.  My guess is Tuck keeps us on task.  Even with Nailor iffy for the game with a bad hand, I think we can score often against a decent defense. Seriously, I Mean It This Year, Eventual 2021 Heisman Trophy Winner III probably will not hit for five touchdowns again, but I think we get the Peyton Thorne of the second half of Saturdays game, so a couple TD tosses to Reed get worked in.  We remain highly vulnerable to the air, but that is not the shot and beer team strength. As an aside, I missed swathes of the game Saturday, and only now realized just where we had Meatchickens band sit. That is some Grade A Petty Ass Expert trolling right there.

Georgia 27, Misery 3

Somewhere along the line, Georgia is going to need its offense to score points. That is the thing about saying defense wins championships; there is a reason Iowa is setting in the west; you still have to score. So far Georgia has a competent offense which has been enough, but there should be a reckoning some time when the offense needs to step up. Granted, the Georgia defense is historically epic, but I would sooner trust Stetson Bennet IV to probate a will than lead a drive with the game on the line. I do not think there is any way that matters this week. Or next. Or, well, until they play I assume Alabama in the Goody apostrophe s Headache Powder God apostrophe s Conference Championship Game.

Woke Forrest 35, North Carolina 31

Fun fact. This game has zero impact on the South Atlantic League standings. It is officially Out of Conference, the teams agreed to play an OOC game every year when the SAL split them into different divisions. I think WF is a nice story, especially considering who is NOT running the ball for them, and Hartman will be the best QB on the field Saturday.  They have a loss or two coming somewhere this year, but I am done picking UNC, under any circumstance.

the 49, Nebraska 17

Bo Pelini is not looking so bad, is he? Scott Frost is nearing the top of the Most Fired charts. But to paraphrase what I told my Meatchicken friends this week, Tom Osborn is not walking through that door. And neither are the relative level of recruits he used to get. The has players who are bigger, faster, stronger and better. Nebraska is at home, and they have played some tough games there, but the should handle them with ease.

Meatchicken 27, Indiana 7

Maryland spoiled the IU narrative last week but still, this will be the sixth team IU played who was ranked when they played them. They are also on a true freshman starting quarterback, against a really good defense that is likely to be angrier than a burlap bagful of wolverines that have been beaten with clubs by Lacedaemons.

the Pennsylvania State University 24, Maryland 13

PSU had a six quarters offensive nap when Clifford went out. He appears healthier now, and they did move the ball against the. They also have a really good red zone defense that kept the possessive scores down to field goals.  I think with Clifford they are a decent offensive team with a stellar defense. I think Maryland is OK, maybe the fifth best team in the Big However Many East. But the gap between them and the top 4 looks pretty broad.

Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie 35, Navy 14

This has often been a troublesome game for OLotPT, but not this year. Metaphorically Navy is about as seaworthy as the CSS H. L. Hunley. I am not sure why OLotPT has dropped so much in the playoff talks. Everyone seems to assume that they will not be in the picture, but their only loss is a pretty good one, and the Committee does look at how teams are playing NOW, rather than how they snuck through some games early in the year. It pains me to say it, but it would only take a mild amount of chaos, say a loss in the league championship game by the Big However Many East and a second Oregon loss, for them to be a serious contender.

ClemSIN 20, Louisville 13

Has anyone heard from jbott? He did not even surface when the lost to Oregon. I hope he did not load up on Nati Lights and roll the moped into a swamp somewhere.

Texas A and M 31, Auburn 20

Again, the Road Bo Nix is the Bad Bo Nix. This looks like the best game of the year on paper, and it could be, but somehow I am thinking TAMU strolls away with it early and Auburn makes the score respectable late.

Alabama 45, Playing out the String U 17

Boy, for years this was such a circle the calendar and make plans to make no plans kind of game, and for years it mostly lived up to expectations. Thanks, Ogeron! Not only are we going to have to double our coach possessive salary the CFB world is deprived of what should be a great game.  Anyway, if anyone thinks Satan is going to take the foot off the gas just because LSU is coasting to the end, they do not know Satan.

Arizona State 27, University of Southern California 20

Winzawin, yes, but USC beat one of the worst Power 5 schools by only 7 points. 7. A lot of my ASU fan friends are bailing on Herm Edwards, especially after last week. The team seems unprepared and uninspired for important games, and it would not surprise me to see him gone by the end of the year, especially if there are any legs to the NCAA investigation.  Still, USC is sleepwalking through this nightmare of a season and losing London for the year is a nail in a coffin for them.

Wisconsin 23, Rutgers 13

Wisconsin is winning the Big However Many West, despite starting the season 1 and 3 and having no offense to speak of, and they are definitely a threat to the East Champ. Just thought you should know.

West Virginia 31, Oklahoma State 24

Oklahoma State is not winning the Pure Prairie League, despite starting 6 and 0 and having a good defense. Just thought you should know.

Minnesota 23, Illinois 10

No team with that bad of an OOC schedule and who loses to a bad MAC team should be relevant this late in the year, but here we are. Minnesota is currently the leader of the Big However Many West. Granted, their last two games are Wisconsin and Iowa, which will resolve their issue one way or the other, but for now, they need to be taken seriously despite not being particularly good.

Iowa State 31, Texas 27

If games were only three quarters, Texas would be in the playoff picture. Wonder how big a 4th quarter lead they will hack up this week.

Oregon 31, Washington 13

The Ducks may have the best win of the playoff contenders, for now, but they also have the wurst loss and that will not get the sausage made. Washington has no offense to speak of.

Cincinnati 42, Tulsa 17

It is all about style points for the Three Ways now. See? they will say. WE ARE THREE POINTS BETTER THAN THE!

Bates 14, Bowdoin 10

Bates has one win this year, over Tufts. Tufts beat Bowdoin by 12. Bowdoin has one win this year, over Amherst. The Belles beat Bates by 8. That makes Bates 4 points better than Bowdoin, by my math. Those are my only two data points.  Fun fact, in the first of the BBC games, played last week, Bates lost to Colby 10 to 2, which was totally worth sitting outdoors in the late October Maine weather to watch.
So you're saying Bates will be Master at the end of the game
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 329