Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 296066 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #4995 on: August 10, 2021, 05:01:38 PM »

Rough week for a Sox/Mets fan.

kid is Elba's Suzyn Waldman, except not as hot.

or smart

or loyal

Fandom, true fandom, is like the Hotel California, you can check out anytime you like, but can never leave.

Ahhh...but can Kid sing like Suzyn?

And you're right, you can never leave, but they can leave you, which is why I am no longer a Colts fan, like I was back in the day.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: August 10, 2021, 05:04:05 PM »

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-rumors-red-sox-discussing-190039239.html

The Red Sox are discussing "many possibilities" involving some "major roster shuffling" in the near future, MassLive.com's Chris Cotillo reports.

What might that shuffling entail? Cotillo reports that starter Garrett Richards is expected to be demoted to the bullpen, with Tanner Houck returning from Triple-A to start Thursday and Chris Sale making his 2021 debut Saturday. The struggling Richards would join Martin Perez, who lost his spot in the rotation last week.

Tomase: Scuffling Sox can't absorb too many more body shots
On the offensive side, first baseman Bobby Dalbec is a prime candidate to be sent to Triple-A Worcester once Kyle Schwarber returns from injury.

The Red Sox' trade deadline acquisition reportedly suffered a setback in his rehab from a hamstring strain that has sidelined him since July 2, but Cotillo reports Schwarber and utility man Christian Arroyo are "progressing toward rehab assignments" that could have them replacing Dalbec in the near future.

Cotillo also floated the possibility of Boston promoting utility man Yairo Muñoz -- who is riding a Red Sox Triple-A record 30-game hitting streak in Worcester -- while cutting bait with scuffling veteran Marwin Gonzalez.

Additionally, our John Tomase offered his suggestion to give more of Christian Vazquez's at-bats to Kevin Plawecki as the Red Sox' starting catcher endures a power drought.

Rearranging chairs on the Titanic?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: August 10, 2021, 05:08:58 PM »

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: August 10, 2021, 05:12:16 PM »

Surprised no one has posted this one:
Chicago White Sox

Omar Vizquel
Chris Cwik
Chris Cwik
Sat, August 7, 2021, 5:38 PM
In this article:

Chicago White Sox
Today
8:10 PM
vsMIN

Omar Vizquel
Professional baseball player and coach
Explore the topics mentioned in this article

Omar Vizquel as the manager of the Birmingham Barons.
Omar Vizquel is accused of sexually harassing a former batboy with the Barons. (Photo by Michael Wade/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
A former batboy with the Birmingham Barons is suing former manager Omar Vizquel for alleged sexual harassment, according to Katie Strang and James Fegan of The Athletic.

The batboy worked for the Barons — a Double-A affiliate of the Chicago White Sox — in 2019. Vizquel was the team's manager during the 2019 season. In the lawsuit, the batboy alleges Vizquel “repeatedly exposed his erect penis to (him) and forced (him) to wash his back in the shower.” The batboy, who is autistic, believes he was "targeted for sexual harassment because of his disability.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/omar-vizquel-sued-for-alleged-sexual-harassment-by-former-batboy-213849830.html

I think he knows what a real bat looks like, Omar.

As Michael Kaye would put it, "See ya!"

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: August 10, 2021, 10:21:51 PM »

Franchy Cordero is a menace to society.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: August 10, 2021, 10:34:42 PM »

And Mr. Barnes and the rest of the pen need a week off.

Doesn't matter who we put out there in the middle, either.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: August 10, 2021, 11:16:57 PM »

Its been deja vu for the past few weeks.

An endless loop of suck and implosion

I might have to consider the possibility kid may have finally gotten one right.

heh

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: August 10, 2021, 11:20:50 PM »

Chuckling at Bankshot thinking Waldman is hot.

No. Ham (finally heard from with fervor on Phils) - I am still with the Mets, though I do not like the MGR.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 09:39:44 AM by kidcarter8 »
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: August 11, 2021, 05:40:27 PM »

Chuckling at Bankshot thinking Waldman is hot.

No. Ham (finally heard from with fervor on Phils) - I am still with the Mets, though I do not like the MGR.

Sure. Uh-huh. Whatever you say. Still with the Mets, as a Yankees fan, now.

Got it.

Heh

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: August 11, 2021, 08:46:53 PM »

Win Win

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: August 12, 2021, 07:26:22 PM »

Mets sweep!!!!

Sit, Soto!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: August 12, 2021, 09:10:51 PM »

The Field of Dreams game is cool.

They aren't playing on the field from the movie.

But while the Yanks and White Sox knock heads, on a different field set up for these games, on the regular Field of Dreams, a bunch of the kids are playing ball, ignoring the MLB contest.

And the drone cameras are giving some great shots, including of the huge corn maze set up.

Also... Judge hit a homer into the corn maze!

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: August 12, 2021, 11:11:17 PM »

that was a helluva 9th.

A corny Hollywood ending but it worked for me

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: August 12, 2021, 11:31:51 PM »

that was a helluva 9th.

A corny Hollywood ending but it worked for me

Much better than the other way around.

Or the earlier debacle.

I went to Dyersville with my students just over 30 years ago, side trip from a field trip to a conference in Iowa City.

It was great - even my non-baseball fan students enjoyed it.

Dyersville, formerly best known as the Farm Toy Capital of the World.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: August 13, 2021, 07:30:52 AM »

It was a "Field of Screams" for Yankee fans. It was "Children of the Corn" for relievers.

I thought the whole thing was truly hokey, from time the show opened with Kevin Costner walking around in a daze, until to the end, when the Yankees were walking around in a daze. And the setting illustrated how far out of touch the modern game is from the one Shoeless Joe and his pals played.

MLB's attempt to create such nostalgia only emphasized the fact that modern baseball remains out of step with the way the game was beautifully played back in the day, or even 30 years ago, when the movie was made. Where were the starting pitchers after the 5th? Each team used 4 pitchers in a 9 inning game, with no pitcher ever grabbing a bat to hit. One SB. No bunts, no singles hit behind the runners to advance them. The shift? The Yanks were 1-7 with RISP. What you saw were players just whacking away at fastballs, hoping for a homer or striking out.

(And if they really wanted to make it fun, they would not have put a fence next to the corn field. Let the fielders go in and try to find the ball, while the batter was circling the bases. Stanton's HR would've been caught by the left fielder standing in the corn.)

If baseball thought it could rekindle the father-to-son game that was actually played for decades as a national sport, it was doing so having jettisoned the game it wished you to recall so whimsically. 

If you like watching blown saves, though, this was the game for you. 

The by-gone era uniforms failed to disguise the deep flaws in what MLB calls "baseball", today. In fact, it seemed to me to underscore them.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 07:35:30 AM by Hamilton Samuels »
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 469