Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What will be the outcome of Russia's invasion of Ukraine?

Russia will gain eastern Ukraine territories and hold them, as it has Crimea
- 5 (45.5%)
Russia will temporarily gain eastern Ukraine territories before being forced out of them
- 2 (18.2%)
Efforts to confront the Russian forces and get them out of Ukraine will lead to Putin's escalating and attacking NATO countries directly with missiles or other destructive measures
- 0 (0%)
The NATO/World response will be so mild that Putin will go ahead and take the rest of Ukraine
- 3 (27.3%)
Today Ukraine, tomorrow Moldova and who knows where else
- 1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 01, 2022, 01:18:43 PM

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 145

Author Topic: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine  (Read 44576 times)

Holly Martins

Re: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine
« Reply #240 on: March 02, 2022, 08:07:12 PM »

Not military targets.  Not protecting the lives of Ukrainian brothers and sisters who are one people with the Russians.  Not containing population centers with care to spare civilians.   

Holly Martins

« Reply #241 on: March 02, 2022, 08:18:48 PM »

Why Eritrea?  Belarus, Nk and Syria I get, but why Eritrea?

One of worst totalitarian regimes in the world.  Only African nation with no private news  media.  Capt Cargo should be planning his tropical getaway. 

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 02, 2022, 09:04:43 PM »

James writes "Ukraine's fate could be Australia's if we don't arm ourselves now".

I can picture the Russian tanks rolling into Brisbane now,

More likely to be Chinese tanks...although with China and Russia having a long border, they could join together to make one huge communist military the like of which the world has never known.
The AUKUS Alliance nuclear-powered subs won't start to arrive for a decade from now...it'll be way too late by then.
Anyway, when the invasion comes team bambu has decided to die together if we'll still alive by then.
Go woke, go broke.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 02, 2022, 09:09:22 PM »

One of worst totalitarian regimes in the world.  Only African nation with no private news  media.  Capt Cargo should be planning his tropical getaway.

Private news media. An oxymoron from a
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 02, 2022, 09:24:44 PM »

Bambu, this is far from over, Putin is not going to win. We cannot allow war criminals to win.

It is far from clear that Putin is not going to win or if, even if Putin loses, Ukraine won't have lost as much or more.

And... "we" only have so much power to prevent war criminals from winning.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 02, 2022, 09:29:13 PM »

Quick FYI on "impartial" southfront dot org:

....In May 2020, ANNA News was banned from YouTube for violating its terms of service. It was revealed that employees of ANNA also worked for Russian propaganda websites news-front.info and southfront.org, and that NewsFront had raised money for ANNA in 2014. Both ANNA News and southfront.org support separatist forces in Ukraine....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANNA_News

Good lord, Capt Cargo.  You really are banking on the naivete you imagine exists here in the politics forum.

It's ALL propaganda Barton, don't be fooled. You have to able to reason out the bits of truth in each and that is the hard part of it. Free your mind, that's the first and most important step.
If you cannot distinguish between state sponsored deliberate propoganda and independent news sources with a point of you, you have a serious problem that makes everything you say suspect.

All of our media is state sponsored. Fools that can't see why this is true can continue to be fools. No skin off my ass. I have zero real issue with all that want to disagree with me. In fact, I welcome it as that is where real truth comes from young Steve. In the end, as they say, truth often hides in an ugly pool.

"All our media is state sponsored" is a conspiracy theorist line, Cap.

But even if I were to take it as gospel, it is not as if we don't have access to other media sources, from the raft of papers in London to the independent television in Russia to Al Jazeera, etc.

Do you wish to argue that The Economist is going to only put forth information acceptable to the US government or even to NATO?

It is not MSM that tells us that the 40 mile long Russian convoy was stalled today! Our EYES tell us that on Google Traffic. Could it be fixed to make it so? Sure, but the Russian government was not out telling is "It's not stalled! What are you people talking about?!" and sending us pictures of it entering the city.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Holly Martins

« Reply #246 on: March 02, 2022, 09:34:00 PM »

So you've opted to just restate the same assertion over and over.  And escalate to insults.  Is that ever persuasive, in your Internet travels?  Well, let me know how shouting fake news and recycling Russian agitprop works out for you. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 02, 2022, 09:37:39 PM »

So you've opted to just restate the same assertion over and over.  And escalate to insults.  Is that ever persuasive, in your Internet travels?  Well, let me know how shouting fake news and recycling Russian agitprop works out for you.

I see no insult.

I see a truncated "copy and paste" due to pasted punctuation.

Holly Martins

« Reply #248 on: March 02, 2022, 09:44:48 PM »

No, I don't think it was a apostrophe problem.  I think it was a cutesy "I'll leave the last word of this sentence as a blank to be filled in."

An oxymoron from a ______.. Gosh, what could that last word be?  I'm sure it was wit  that would have had the Algonquin round table in stitches.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 02, 2022, 09:49:07 PM »

I'm sorry. You of course would never resort to veiled insults.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 02, 2022, 09:56:45 PM »

Quick FYI on "impartial" southfront dot org:

....In May 2020, ANNA News was banned from YouTube for violating its terms of service. It was revealed that employees of ANNA also worked for Russian propaganda websites news-front.info and southfront.org, and that NewsFront had raised money for ANNA in 2014. Both ANNA News and southfront.org support separatist forces in Ukraine....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANNA_News

Good lord, Capt Cargo.  You really are banking on the naivete you imagine exists here in the politics forum.

It's ALL propaganda Barton, don't be fooled. You have to able to reason out the bits of truth in each and that is the hard part of it. Free your mind, that's the first and most important step.
If you cannot distinguish between state sponsored deliberate propoganda and independent news sources with a point of you, you have a serious problem that makes everything you say suspect.

All of our media is state sponsored. Fools that can't see why this is true can continue to be fools. No skin off my ass. I have zero real issue with all that want to disagree with me. In fact, I welcome it as that is where real truth comes from young Steve. In the end, as they say, truth often hides in an ugly pool.

"All our media is state sponsored" is a conspiracy theorist line, Cap.

But even if I were to take it as gospel, it is not as if we don't have access to other media sources, from the raft of papers in London to the independent television in Russia to Al Jazeera, etc.

Do you wish to argue that The Economist is going to only put forth information acceptable to the US government or even to NATO?

It is not MSM that tells us that the 40 mile long Russian convoy was stalled today! Our EYES tell us that on Google Traffic. Could it be fixed to make it so? Sure, but the Russian government was not out telling is "It's not stalled! What are you people talking about?!" and sending us pictures of it entering the city.
Yes Josh, you're correct. What our eyes don't tell us is why it was stalled. And that's where the "talking" begins. But as you are a man of reason I always appreciate your take on things. And I've always respected you for that.

What I was trying to impart was that snippets of truth could be found in most if not all media outlets. But it was up to the reader/s to piece those snippets together to try and find a larger whole truth. Of course the sites I posted were biased, but there were truths to be found in the bias.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 09:58:32 PM by CaptainCargo »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 02, 2022, 11:59:32 PM »

http://youtu.be/3C_VUbVOhhM

5 million rubles and amnesty to quit Putins glory ride. Not a bad bargain for the average Russian conscript.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 03, 2022, 04:38:59 AM »

Holly Martins

« Reply #253 on: March 03, 2022, 09:47:29 AM »

From the Guardian, which has no shareholders, no billionaire owner and no commercial or political bosses. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/03/russia-ukraine-conflict-top-10-war-myths-newsguard

I like the Ukrainian approach to using humor to keep up morale. 

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 03, 2022, 10:57:14 AM »

Biden Administration must now act.

Last April, Biden issued an executive order targeting the Russian Federation for broad sweeping offenses, which included undermining the conduct of free and fair democratic elections and democratic institutions in the U.S., issuing malicious cyber activity against the U.S. and its allies, and threatening  well-established principles of international law, including respect for the territorial integrity of states.

The letter notes that Biden said in his order that  persons responsible for or complicit in, or have directly or indirectly engaged or attempted to engage in the  assassination, murder or other unlawful killing of, or infliction of other bodily harm against, a United States person or a citizen or national of a United States ally or partner; activities that undermine the peace, security, political stability, or territorial integrity of the United States, its allies, or its partners are eligible for expansive economic sanctions.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/russia-ukraine-war-gop-senators-biden-sanction-wagner-group-zelenskyy-assassination
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 145