Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 264705 times)

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #1785 on: January 01, 2019, 10:15:01 PM »

Did Notre Dame deserve a playoff spot? 
Yes

they benefitted from an easy schedule
Sagarin has their SOS higher than Clemson

Since The Irish are associate members of the ACC playing 5 of their games against ACC opponents, they should have played Clemson in the ACC championship game,
I don't mind that argument.  As long as there is a path to the playoff then there can't be a lot of whining if your team did not win.  UCF was not afforded that chance last year.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: January 01, 2019, 10:21:19 PM »

Constantinople

It's nobody's business, but the Turks!

Damn...you beat me to it.   That's a great song
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: January 01, 2019, 10:21:55 PM »

Herman is a very impressive coach notwithstanding managing to lose to Maryland two years in a row.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

jbottle

• View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: January 01, 2019, 10:27:22 PM »

...for a black guy?!?

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: January 01, 2019, 10:27:44 PM »

Well, it's official UCF can hang with the big boys.

If the big boys are missing some of their biggest and best boys.✌️

UCF was missing their starting QB

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: January 02, 2019, 12:38:55 AM »

What a great day of College Football!
Great Bowl games!
Upsets!
All of them meaningless!
LOL!

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: January 02, 2019, 01:40:19 AM »

Georgia should maybe have worried less about whether Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie deserved.a playoff spot and more about Texas.

We could replace jbot with a computer program that rando.randomly posts "I hate Ohio State" and it would have as little content as one of his posts, and be funnier than his regular posts. I look forward.to watching him invent some reason to hate Day. On the other hand I look forward much less to him boring us by repeating it beyond ad nauseam in ersatz drunk southern horse shit.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: January 02, 2019, 07:55:56 AM »

Wait, why is UGGA not in the title game??

They’re only down 10 to Texas??

Well looks like I seem to be way wrong JB. Eh, I can admit that.

Been wrong before and I'm sure I'll be wrong again.

Georgia's QB looked like shit and whoever #6 receiver for the Dawgs looked a little turdish too. I was yelling at my TV like an insane person to Smart. Pull your QB he ain't in this game and put in your kid. Kirby is trying to emulate Nicky, but that's the difference between him and the Nickster. Saban knows when it's time to pull a guy that isn't doing his job.

Texas was totally not respecting the Dawgs QB to run. He couldn't. Turns out the twit couldn't throw any better either. I can't swear to it but the guy had a scared look on his face and especially in his eyes every time I saw him on the sidelines with his helmet off.

Kudos to the Longhorns and the Texas head coach who came into the game like UCF did last year against Auburn, amped up and ready to rock on both sides of the ball.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 08:04:49 AM by CaptainCargo »
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: January 02, 2019, 08:01:43 AM »

...for a black guy?!?

Wrong Herman dude.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: January 02, 2019, 09:03:23 AM »

The good and bad of Urban Meyer:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25664703/urban-meyer-rose-bowl-final-game-leaves-complicated-legacy

PASADENA, Calif. -- With 40 seconds left in the 105th Rose Bowl, Urban Meyer emphatically pumped his fists in the air one last time as Ohio State's head coach with a victorious 28-23 score beaming on the north end zone scoreboard.

As the clock ticked down to zero and Washington's late comeback officially ended, senior receivers Parris Campbell and Terry McLaurin walked Meyer arm-and-arm toward midfield before a Gatorade bath greeted the smiling Meyer for one last frozen feeling.

From there, it was a victory lap that didn't quite feel long enough for a coach who announced in early December that he was retiring from coaching after 33 years.

Meyer, an Ohio native who coached in his first Rose Bowl on Tuesday, nonchalantly accepted the Rose Bowl trophy, and without enough time to truly savor the moment, quickly passed it to his players standing behind him.

Meyer would eventually thank Buckeye Nation and praise his players and their season before walking to Ohio State's band, his wife Shelley's arm wrapped around his waist with every step, for one last "O-H" and a salute from the top of the drum major's ladder.

... It should be a storybook ending.

But Meyer's departure is more complicated than that.

On paper, he will go down as one of college football's greatest coaches. In 17 years as a head coach, Meyer went 187-32 with three national championships (two at Florida and one at Ohio State).

He has been to six straight New Year's Six bowls, going 4-2 in those and capturing that national title with the Buckeyes in 2014.

But away from the field, Meyer has a handful of unmistakable scars on his résumé.

There are the 30-plus player arrests at Florida and the fact that he admittedly left the program "broken" after stepping away for the second time in a year after the 2010 season.

At Ohio State, his players stayed out of trouble, but Meyer's last season has a permanent black mark because of his mismanagement of disgraced former assistant Zach Smith

Meyer was put on paid administrative leave in August while the school investigated Courtney Smith's claims that several people close to Meyer knew of a 2015 allegation of domestic violence against her ex-husband, Zach, whom Meyer had fired in July.

Ohio State's investigation found that Meyer and athletic director Gene Smith "failed to take sufficient management action relating to Zach Smith's misconduct" and suspended him for three games.

So as scarlet-and-gray confetti covered Meyer while thousands of Buckeyes fans chanted his name Tuesday night, the moment felt somewhat tainted. It was a celebration for players and fans to enjoy. There were so many extraordinary coaching accomplishments to celebrate, but Meyer's questionable decisions away from the field are an undeniable part of his legacy.

Meyer wasn't interested in talking legacy this week. And as he left the Rose Bowl to the cheers of adoring fans, it's clear what his legacy will be to the Buckeyes faithful.

But outside of Columbus, his legacy remains complicated, a reminder that winning doesn't -- or shouldn't -- solve everything.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: January 02, 2019, 11:20:16 AM »

It’s a pretty safe bet that any talk of expanding the playoff field has headed to the back burner. Or at least until Nick and Dabo retire.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: January 02, 2019, 12:02:07 PM »

Top ten based on post-regular seasonplay.

1Alabama (2 Championships so far)

2.Clemson ( 2 Championships so far)

3.Ohio State ( 2)

4.Oklahoma(1)

5.Notre Dame (0)

6.LSU (1)

7.Georgia (0)

8.Wash.St (1)

9. Texas (1)

10.Florida(1)

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: January 02, 2019, 12:37:04 PM »

It’s a pretty safe bet that any talk of expanding the playoff field has headed to the back burner. Or at least until Nick and Dabo retire.
The worst mistake people make is assuming next year is this year.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: January 02, 2019, 06:18:51 PM »

Georgia should maybe have worried less about whether Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie deserved.a playoff spot and more about Texas.

Funny how that stuff works sometimes. It's a little bit like making an I told you so post when a team is getting blown out at halftime...only to have the other team come roaring back to win in the second half.   Sometimes...you just need to have a little patience before you open up your pie hole.

One of the authors I have been reading lately had one of his characters say several times..."I rarely get in trouble by not saying something."

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: January 02, 2019, 06:30:46 PM »

The worst mistake people make is assuming next year is this year.
Not my point. Based on five years of CFP history the system is working perfectly. That may not sit well politically with all conferences but there is no logical argument against a process that has done what it was set up to do: seed the four best teams. Not that it has been hard to do. Only two teams have been seeded number one: Alabama and Clemson. Three times they were seeded one AND two. And they have three of the four championships.
At the same time the drop-off between the seeded teams and the also-rans is steep. Only one 5 ranked team has won a post season Bowl (OSU last year).
Before talking expansion discussions on uniform number of conference games among the power five leagues and the role of League Championship games need to to be held. Right now expansion won’t improve competition.

Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 329