Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 53

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 45064 times)

Oiled

• View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #630 on: July 14, 2023, 09:41:13 PM »

Vivarium, a 2019 Irish film, appears to be a surreal/sci-fi take on the existential horrors of middle class life in a bland subdivision, and made me think of the classic Twilight Zone episode, "Stopover in a Small Town."  Like most films about existential Hell, this one is pretty bleak, though not without some humor and visually arresting moments.  Jesse Eisenberg (who seems to easily inhabit these sorts of indie film roles) and Imogen Poots are the couple who find themselves entrapped in the insipid and mysteriously empty subdivision, tasked with raising a creepy boy-like being who seems like Samuel Beckett's fever dream of childhood.  Frustrating for the viewer is their seeming lack of experimentation after a couple attempts to break out... but then that is the point. 
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Walter Sobchak

• View Profile
Re: BARBENHEIMER!!!
« Reply #631 on: July 21, 2023, 05:21:15 PM »

BARBENHEIMER!!!

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: BARBENHEIMER!!!
« Reply #632 on: July 21, 2023, 07:03:55 PM »

BARBENHEIMER!!!
Have you seen either?
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 22, 2023, 09:34:19 AM »

Poking fun at the social media hype over the simul-release of those two films.  We will see both, but probably after a visiting relative has departed.  After "Tenet" it is with some trepidation that I venture out to another Chris Nolan movie.  But the cast is aces, and Nolan seems to be making a genre shift that may be for the better. 
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: July 22, 2023, 01:03:39 PM »

I could not make it through T or I (the first I, did not try the second) disliked tP, and had zero interest in the BMs. But I did like D, which is also an historical film,, so maybe I will give O a chance.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: July 22, 2023, 01:10:53 PM »

And while I rely liked LB and LW, B looks positively visually painful.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 22, 2023, 03:38:59 PM »

So maybe a No on the IMax version.

Gerwig has made some good film. I have not seen her early mumble core film, N&W.

I got through both Insomnia and Inception, didn't much like either.  The first one concerned lack of sleep, the second way too much sleep.   

I vaguely recall The Prestige causing some polarization at the Third Eye forum, with you and Weeds and a couple others all panning it, along with the Bale bashing.  I sorta liked the Faustian aspect of Jackman's role.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: July 23, 2023, 07:02:21 PM »

I have a friend who is in the music industry here in Hollywood, and we were talking, and he does not think that Hollywood will ever be the same after it comes back from the strikes, it will come back different.

He thinks that Hollywood is going to do more of the independent films like "The Jesus Revolution" and "The Sound of Freedom."

Emilio Estevez just made a new movie "The Way" with his Father, and Emilio may be a big new producer and filmmaker in the future, and he can hire actresses like Aurelia Scheppers, Mahlagha Jaberi, and Marli Buccola, and he can hire the best acting coaches to teach the unknown actresses, so that he can make great movies for a low budget in order to get started, like he did with "The Way" that he made with his Father, he made it on a very low budget.

At the same time, Apple is a big new player in the Entertainment Industry. So, we will have a lot going on after the strikes are over.

And new studios are being built in Nevada.

Universal also wants to shoot more films and television shows in Orlando, Florida.

Salute,

Tony V.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 23, 2023, 07:18:11 PM »

The full trailer for A Haunting in Venice is out. And it looks like a couple of my worst fears are going to be true. Tina Fay will be playing Ariadne Oliver and she is definitely American. Which, like making Poirot an action hero makes me think Branagh has no concept of his characters. And it looks to lean into actual, rather than put on, occult.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 23, 2023, 09:53:09 PM »

Well, Oliver is the alter ego for Christie's self-deprecation of her literary mistakes and foibles so yeah it would make sense she be English and not Tina Fey. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #640 on: July 23, 2023, 11:04:45 PM »

She always struck me as elfin.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #641 on: July 23, 2023, 11:09:49 PM »

And yes, making Ariadne Oliver American rids the character of the gentle self mockery.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #642 on: July 29, 2023, 04:23:08 PM »

When I was a young actor some people told me that I looked like a Ken Doll, I was handsome like a Ken Doll, but I was trying to be cool like Marlon Brando and James Dean. I lived in Malibu, and if they would have made a Barbie movie back then, then I think Pamela Anderson would have been the perfect actress to play Barbie back then. I was working as a Limousine driver for Gemstar, and we were the official limousine service for the Jay Leno Show, and we all wanted to drive for Pamela Anderson.

Here is my Student Film from USC, I was handsome like James Garner, I could have played a Ken Doll easy, it would have been easy money.

https://youtu.be/GJ2wBMgs-lQ

Salute,

Tony V.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #643 on: July 29, 2023, 08:24:40 PM »

Fascinating.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: July 30, 2023, 05:18:35 PM »

Actors struggling, cleaning apartments, trying to get through the strike with survival jobs.  This Post article details one aspiring actor's struggle.

https://archive.li/hQ97k

(original article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/07/30/hollywood-actors-strike-survival-jobs/
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 53