Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 53

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 45397 times)

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #420 on: May 29, 2022, 07:16:53 PM »

In the poem "If" by Rudyard Kipling he says that triumph and disaster are both impostors. You have to treat them both the same. It is especially true in Show Business. Though it would be nice to have a nice triumph every now and then.

Salute,

Tony V.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 29, 2022, 08:25:19 PM »

Watched Operation Mincemeat and definitely prefer the old-fashioned take of the same story in The Man Who Never Was. The ahistorical love triangle might have been tolerable but I literally threw feces at the screen every time it went into typerration from Ian Fleming and I know what literally means. And while I am at it, I suppose the Fleming stuff was supposed to be amusing (One character naming the head of the 20 M, Fleming pulling a watch with a buzz saw in it off the Q Bench) but it just made me literally roll my eyes and I know what literally means.

On the bright side, it is always nice to see Jason Isaac without long straight white hair and to see Beria playing Churchill, even though the.scenes with Isaac and Beale reminded me that they were in a much much better movie together.
Sam: Those sons of bitches, they got him right through the neck.

Suzy: Was he a good dog?

Sam: Who's to say? But he didn't deserve to die.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 29, 2022, 08:37:24 PM »

Maybe Austin can help to bring a new modern film and television studio to Anaheim. Maybe with Disney. Maybe Austin can help to bridge the gap between the Citizens of Anaheim and Disney. And we also have the Dodge film school at Chapman, maybe Austin can help us to expand the Entertainment Industry here in Anaheim.

I hope that "Elvis" is a huge hit.

Salute,

Tony V.

Holly Martins

« Reply #423 on: May 29, 2022, 09:08:13 PM »

Watched Operation Mincemeat and definitely prefer the old-fashioned take of the same story in The Man Who Never Was. The ahistorical love triangle might have been tolerable but I literally threw feces at the screen every time it went into typerration from Ian Fleming and I know what literally means. And while I am at it, I suppose the Fleming stuff was supposed to be amusing (One character naming the head of the 20 M, Fleming pulling a watch with a buzz saw in it off the Q Bench) but it just made me literally roll my eyes and I know what literally means.

On the bright side, it is always nice to see Jason Isaac without long straight white hair and to see Beria playing Churchill, even though the.scenes with Isaac and Beale reminded me that they were in a much much better movie together.

Haven't seen the Clifton Webb version.  Spouse has read Montagu's book probably ten times, so I expect we'll give it a shot, though I have a firm policy of not watching movies with two Mr Darcys in them.  Breaking that rule is not going to be easy.

What is typerration?  I know what literally means, but typerration has stumped both me and the OED. 

Of the two literal actions you describe, I found the rolling of eyes more credible. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 29, 2022, 10:19:20 PM »

Typing/narration. Voice over reading the words as they are typing them.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 29, 2022, 10:20:23 PM »

Haven't seen the Clifton Webb version.  Spouse has read Montagu's book probably ten times, so I expect we'll give it a shot, though I have a firm policy of not watching movies with two Mr Darcys in them.  Breaking that rule is not going to be easy.

What is typerration?  I know what literally means, but typerration has stumped both me and the OED. 

Of the two literal actions you describe, I found the rolling of eyes more credible.
Yes, but I do have a dog, which helps.

Holly Martins

« Reply #426 on: May 30, 2022, 10:19:46 AM »

We sat, we watched, we flung.  To my regret, the litterbox was two floors away.

The writing seemed entirely bent on creating drama (and a love triangle) where very little existed (as one might expect from a movie) while overlooking parts of the real Ewan Montagu's account which would have added much - like a ring of truth.   The corpse of the Welshman was frozen, so that Weekend at Bernie's photo shoot was ridiculous - their main problem, as they prepared him for transit (per my spouse) was getting his boots on over frozen feet.  The typerration was indeed annoying, and odd coming from Fleming when it is Montagu's account of events that is the basis for most of what we know.  Fleming did contribute to the Trout memo, but remained in Adm. Godfrey's office, and would have not been at a desk in the Group XX room. 

What really failed was the extreme magnification of Montagu's romantic interest in Leslie, which seemed subtle as a buzzsaw wristwatch and too obvious an attempt to keep the film from being overly procedural by injection of Casablanca tropes.  It rings false, and Firth's goyish looks would be ill-suited to the real Montagu's Jewish guilt. 

The bit about Hitler's senior intelligence man in the Abwehr seemed to draw mainly from the historical fact that Von Roenne was later linked to comspirators in the Hitler assassination attempt, and was anti-Nazi party.  The mystery man in Leslie's apartment, however, seems a weird speculative tack, and tossed in to add suspense.  Given that most viewers of such a film are aware the Allies succeeded in their invasion, I'm not sure this kind of twist really adds much.  It simply pulls the viewer out of the film enough to say, well, Mincemeat was swallowed, so this is nothing really.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 30, 2022, 10:35:10 AM »

Way more typing then the movie is worth.

Holly Martins

« Reply #428 on: May 30, 2022, 10:54:15 AM »

The historical topic is interesting to me even if the movie isn't.  Plus I haven't played at Film Critic in a while, so this was a barrel of fish into which I could fire some rounds.  Now I have a leaky barrel.

Mostly I'm awaiting Triangle of Sadness.

(whenever I type Triangle, my Chrome editor's suggestion line first offers Shirtwaist as the next word...)

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 01, 2022, 10:56:23 AM »

Speaking of Cannes, did they just give the Jury Prize to a sequel to Au hazard Balthazar?

https://www.screendaily.com/news/hanway-sells-cannes-award-winner-eo-to-north-america-uk/5171377.article
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 11:00:06 AM by Hairy Lime »

Holly Martins

« Reply #430 on: June 02, 2022, 09:48:17 AM »

Seems inspired by the Bresson.

AO Scott asks if Hollywood is really pushing Liberalism.

https://archive.ph/lL2vE

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 07, 2022, 02:16:46 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11IPQYZMXjc

Trailer for Hallelujah: The Movie

Did somebody here post it in a different forum? This is where I would have been most likely to see it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 02:19:43 AM by josh »
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Holly Martins

« Reply #432 on: June 07, 2022, 03:59:27 PM »

We talking about the King Vidor movie? The first talkie with a black cast?  The link seems to be something else, but not sure what. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 08, 2022, 02:20:08 AM »

We talking about the King Vidor movie? The first talkie with a black cast?  The link seems to be something else, but not sure what.

Weird.

I have now put the right link up.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 08, 2022, 08:41:05 PM »

I need to go see the new "Top Gun: Maverick" movie, and I am sure my home town is going to love the movie as they build and test the planes out in the desert. I grew up watching top secret planes flying overhead.

Salute,

Tony V.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 53