Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 280266 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #1125 on: October 31, 2018, 09:28:50 PM »

RIP Willie McCovey

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25138329/willie-mccovey-san-francisco-giants-legend-dies-80

McCovey is one of seven players in history to win a Rookie of the Year award, a league MVP and an All-Star Game MVP award. The others are Cal Ripken Jr., Mays, Mike Trout, Frank Robinson, Fred Lynn and Ichiro Suzuki.

One honor that eluded McCovey was a World Series ring. He came close in 1962, coming up short in a nail-biting seven-game series against the Yankees. McCovey went to the plate with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning, his team down 1-0, with runners on second and third base. McCovey sliced a hit toward right field that looked like it could drive in the winning run but instead was caught by Yankees second baseman Bobby Richardson to end the game and the series.

I got home from school to see that line-out to Richardson. Another 3 ft to the left and McCovey would have been the WS hero.

That '62 Giant line-up was loaded.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: October 31, 2018, 09:38:07 PM »

and troll if you find baseball boring, you should find something that entertains you.

Why hang out in a baseball forum, if it holds nothing for you?

ah well, there will always be stupid asshole trolls who try to suck the joy from life.

SSDD
Soft head. Doesn't get it. So sad.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: October 31, 2018, 09:39:03 PM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: October 31, 2018, 10:14:22 PM »

Price opts not to opt out.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2018/10/31/david-price-says-opting-stay-with-red-sox/W1r3cXqppQ25qYDSV6B56M/story.html

“I’m opting in,” he said prior to the team’s celebratory duck boat parade. “I’m not going anywhere. I want to win here. We did that this year, and I want to do it again.”

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: October 31, 2018, 11:47:44 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/28/sports/trump-tweets-dodgers-manager.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fbaseball&action=click&contentCollection=baseball&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=6&pgtype=sectionfront

LOS ANGELES — Every baseball manager expects to be second-guessed; it comes with the job. And the bigger the stage, the greater the scrutiny.

Even so, Dave Roberts, the Los Angeles Dodgers manager, seemed startled after Game 4 of the World Series on Saturday to learn that President Trump had joined his chorus of critics. Roberts had just pulled his starter with a four-run lead and watched his bullpen collapse in a 9-6 defeat to the Boston Red Sox, putting his team one loss from elimination. In his news conference, Roberts learned that the president — who rarely tweets about baseball — had blamed him./i]

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: November 01, 2018, 05:37:37 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/28/sports/trump-tweets-dodgers-manager.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fbaseball&action=click&contentCollection=baseball&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=6&pgtype=sectionfront

LOS ANGELES — Every baseball manager expects to be second-guessed; it comes with the job. And the bigger the stage, the greater the scrutiny.

Even so, Dave Roberts, the Los Angeles Dodgers manager, seemed startled after Game 4 of the World Series on Saturday to learn that President Trump had joined his chorus of critics. Roberts had just pulled his starter with a four-run lead and watched his bullpen collapse in a 9-6 defeat to the Boston Red Sox, putting his team one loss from elimination. In his news conference, Roberts learned that the president — who rarely tweets about baseball — had blamed him./i]

Extreme GLS: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/president-trump-criticizes-dodgers-pitching-moves-world-series-game-4-040525846.html?bcmt=1

Hours after mass murder of American Jews in their house of worship, this is your president's greatest concern.

Sad.

Try to keep up.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: November 01, 2018, 06:28:49 PM »

Verducci on the World Series and Cora's impact after the what could have been a series altering devastating loss in the Battle of Chavez Ravine.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/10/30/boston-red-sox-season-ages-ends-world-series-title-game-5/

An epic, 18-inning loss in Game 3 could have spelled the end for baseball's winningest team. Instead, it revealed the true greatness of the Red Sox, who resolutely pulled together and claimed their fourth World Series title in 15 years.

The 2018 Red Sox forever will be remembered for their collection of 119 victories. The drive on Massachusetts Route 119—from Ashburnham, over the Squannacook and Nashua Rivers, through Groton and all the way to Concord and Walden Pond—will never feel the same.

Yet for all those wins it was one defeat that defined the team’s soul and spirit. To deeply understand these Red Sox, not just remember them, you have to hear the hidden story of the longest, most grueling, most absurd loss any team ever suffered in 665 World Series games.

It was half past midnight at Dodger Stadium, and more than an hour after the trains in Boston stopped running and the bars stopped serving, when the Red Sox, still jet-lagged from the 2,611-air-mile trip to L.A., trudged back to their clubhouse with a 3–2 walk-off loss that had taken 18 innings and seven hours, 20 minutes, Series records for toil and time.

“Everybody, clubhouse!” Cora shouted in the labyrinth under the first base stands. “Meeting!”

Cora is a rookie manager who abhors team meetings, so the call to gather, especially at such an hour after two fitfully long days, hinted at the importance of the moment. What happened next will make for the best stories these championship brothers tell when they gather years from now, as their bodies and competitive edges soften./i]

Then Game 3 happened at Chavez Ravine. It was not just the longest postseason game ever played. It was as phenomenal as a six-ton pachyderm in New York in 1796.

“I’ve never seen anything like that,” said L.A. first baseman David Freese, “and that’s because nobody walking this Earth has seen anything like that."

“Listen up!” he said. Players were still mostly in their soiled, heavy uniforms. Some peeled off sweatshirts or tape from their wrists. Some sat at their lockers.

“We just played one of the greatest games in World Series history. Red Sox ... Dodgers ... Dodger Stadium ... World Series ... And the way you competed is something all of us should be very proud of. This is a great team. This was a great game. And you guys proved it tonight. And Nathan ...”

Cora then singled out Eovaldi, praising him for his effort and unselfishness. When Cora was done, the room burst into a standing ovation.

“There were tears,” Holt says. Porcello was one of those crying.

And then one by one, every player, coach and staff member lined up to take turns hugging Eovaldi—

its worth the read for baseball fans.

its pretty good.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 06:38:57 PM by bankshot1 »

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: November 02, 2018, 12:08:27 PM »

I'm still sitting shiva for the death of baseball.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: November 02, 2018, 03:35:32 PM »

I'm still waiting for the obit (or at least the citation of those who were saying it besides Mr. Utley).
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: November 02, 2018, 04:07:27 PM »

I'm still waiting for the obit (or at least the citation of those who were saying it besides Mr. Utley).

Could be a long wait.

The troll has been in mourning since August, over the Phillies. Seems they choked on cheese-steak, with.

In the meantime have some corned beef, its lean, and chopped liver is just like mom's.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: November 02, 2018, 05:37:27 PM »

Could be a long wait.

The troll has been in mourning since August, over the Phillies. Seems they choked on cheese-steak, with.

In the meantime have some corned beef, its lean, and chopped liver is just like mom's.

I had beef tongue last night, thanks.

Maybe baseball was killed by the 270 criminals in the caravan who also have no source.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: November 03, 2018, 03:50:00 PM »

RIP.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: November 03, 2018, 05:54:03 PM »

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated" Mark Twain

I look forward to the '19 season, and if the Phillies can manage consecutive wins, we in Elba will be regaled with tales of the the Phitin' Phils, and baseball's miraculous resurrection.

And whether the Phitin' Phils can or can't manage two wins in a row, I'm still looking forward to the '19 season.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 469