Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 285911 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #3225 on: June 13, 2020, 08:30:42 PM »

MLBPA puts season in Manfred's hands:
Playing: CBS Sports HQ (24:00:00)
As expected, the MLB Players Association has rejected Major League Baseball's latest proposal to begin the 2020 regular season. The league proposed a 72-game season at 80 percent prorated pay on Friday -- the proposal included a scathing letter -- and gave the union until Sunday to respond. The MLBPA responded a day early and officially rejected the offer Saturday.

Furthermore, MLBPA executive director Tony Clark issued a statement saying "it appears further dialogue with the league would be futile," and invited commissioner Rob Manfred to schedule however many games he sees fit. Here is Clark's statement:

"Players want to play. It's who we are and what we do. Since March, the Association has made it clear that our No.1 focus is playing the fullest season possible, as soon as possible, as safely as possible. Players agreed to billions in monetary concessions as a means to that end, and in the face of repeated media leaks and misdirection we made additional proposals to inject new revenues into the industry -- proposals that would benefit the owners, players, broadcast partners, and fans alike.

"It's now become apparent that these efforts have fallen upon deaf ears. In recent days, owners have decried the supposed unprofitability of owning a baseball team and the Commissioner has repeatedly threatened to schedule a dramatically shortened season unless players agree to hundreds of millions in further concessions. Our response has been consistent that such concessions are unwarranted, would be fundamentally unfair to players, and that our sport deserves the fullest 2020 season possible. These remain our positions today, particularly in light of new reports regarding MLB's national television rights -- information we requested from the league weeks ago but were never provided.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlbpa-rejects-latest-proposal-tells-mlb-to-schedule-the-season-and-tell-us-when-and-where/
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: June 13, 2020, 08:51:02 PM »

"it appears further dialogue with the league would be futile," ...

Ya think?

heh

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: June 13, 2020, 08:56:23 PM »

If only that ball that Clark hit in Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS didn't hop the fence......
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: June 13, 2020, 09:25:26 PM »

"it appears further dialogue with the league would be futile," ...

Ya think?

heh

The owners never wanted to settle. They want the public to think the players are greedy. Real fans know who to blame for this debacle.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: June 13, 2020, 09:42:04 PM »

"Real fans". I've heard that here before. It was usually "real fans" prefer the National League.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: June 13, 2020, 09:56:37 PM »

The owners never wanted to settle.

uh... wrong

They continued to better their offer - the last time without first getting a counter from players

Players drew a firm line in the sand

Play ball!

Or fucking strike if you want.

I couldn't give 2 shits right now

Youth/college baseball - u bet.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: June 13, 2020, 10:02:17 PM »

The owners never wanted to settle.

uh... wrong

They continued to better their offer - the last time without first getting a counter from players

Players drew a firm line in the sand

Play ball!

Or fucking strike if you want.

I couldn't give 2 shits right now

Youth/college baseball - u bet.
Uh... wrong.

Here's why: https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2020/06/major-league-baseball-labor-fight-dont-blame-the-players-its-ownership-blocking-start-of-2020-season-matt-vautour.html

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: June 13, 2020, 10:03:37 PM »

How about you just tell us

Use your words, big boy..

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: June 13, 2020, 10:57:03 PM »

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/06/13/sports/mlb-strikes-billion-dollar-tv-deal-with-turner-sports-report-says/

Just as the talks between Major League Baseball players and owners are reaching a crescendo of bickering and disagreement, along came a New York Post report Saturday afternoon that could not have been more poorly timed — for the owners.

The Post reported that MLB has wrapped up a deal worth a billion dollars with Turner Sports to extend a playoff package that includes one of the league championship series.

After a week in which one owner, Bill DeWitt Jr. of the Cardinals, told a St. Louis radio station that “the [baseball] industry isn’t very profitable,” the reported new deal also comes not long before prolonged negotiations between the owners and players are expected to wrap up.

Reaction from players was swift and sarcastic.

From Trevor Bauer of the Reds: “Oh good so ... we can play now, right? Seems there is plenty to go around here. Seems there is plenty of money being made by the league and the teams. Given tha(t) players are the product, I’m sure some of this can be distributed to them, right? Yay for baseball.”

What was I saying about how the MLBPA didn't trust the owners and some transparency might help?

Oops.

Only if you just need controversy

Sad, you are.

What are you Yoda-lite?

I don't need controversy, nor want it, but as long as MLBPA doesn't trust the owners, and why should they after the years of being lied to, cheated and illegally conspired against by the owners. As long as they think the owners are short-changing them getting to yes will be a problem.

So some transparency for the players might be helpful, and yes it might cost the owners more.

Again have TV contracts been modified to reflect a shortened season? I think the players who are being asked to forgoe their contracts have a right to understand what the owners have given up and what they haven't given up.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: June 13, 2020, 11:04:38 PM »

If only that ball that Clark hit in Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS didn't hop the fence......

You got off lucky, if his one big hit as a Yankee rolls into the corner, he's even money to be Yankee manager.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: June 14, 2020, 12:54:44 AM »

From Trevor Bauer of the Reds: “Oh good so ... we can play now, right? Seems there is plenty to go around here. Seems there is plenty of money being made by the league and the teams. Given tha(t) players are the product, I’m sure some of this can be distributed to them, right? Yay for baseball.”

I love Trevor Bauer

Trevor Bauer is a dolt.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: June 14, 2020, 02:50:00 PM »

“We are disappointed that the MLBPA has chosen not to negotiate in good faith over resumption of play after MLB has made three successive proposals that would provide players, Clubs and our fans with an amicable resolution to a very difficult situation caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. The MLBPA understands that the agreement reached on March 26th was premised on the parties’ mutual understanding that the players would be paid their full salaries only if play resumed in front of fans, and that another negotiation was to take place if Clubs could not generate the billions of dollars of ticket revenue required to pay players. The MLBPA’s position that players are entitled to virtually all the revenue from a 2020 season played without fans is not fair to the thousands of other baseball employees that Clubs and our office are supporting financially during this very difficult 2020 season. We will evaluate the Union’s refusal to adhere to the terms of the March Agreement, and after consulting with ownership, determine the best course to bring baseball back to our fans.”

-  Office of Major League Baseball

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: June 15, 2020, 04:57:12 AM »

“We are disappointed that the MLBPA has chosen not to negotiate in good faith over resumption of play after MLB has made three successive proposals that would provide players, Clubs and our fans with an amicable resolution to a very difficult situation caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. The MLBPA understands that the agreement reached on March 26th was premised on the parties’ mutual understanding that the players would be paid their full salaries only if play resumed in front of fans, and that another negotiation was to take place if Clubs could not generate the billions of dollars of ticket revenue required to pay players. The MLBPA’s position that players are entitled to virtually all the revenue from a 2020 season played without fans is not fair to the thousands of other baseball employees that Clubs and our office are supporting financially during this very difficult 2020 season. We will evaluate the Union’s refusal to adhere to the terms of the March Agreement, and after consulting with ownership, determine the best course to bring baseball back to our fans.”

-  Office of Major League Baseball

They are nothing, if not consistent.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: June 15, 2020, 10:56:34 AM »

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/06/13/sports/mlb-strikes-billion-dollar-tv-deal-with-turner-sports-report-says/

Just as the talks between Major League Baseball players and owners are reaching a crescendo of bickering and disagreement, along came a New York Post report Saturday afternoon that could not have been more poorly timed — for the owners.

The Post reported that MLB has wrapped up a deal worth a billion dollars with Turner Sports to extend a playoff package that includes one of the league championship series.

After a week in which one owner, Bill DeWitt Jr. of the Cardinals, told a St. Louis radio station that “the [baseball] industry isn’t very profitable,” the reported new deal also comes not long before prolonged negotiations between the owners and players are expected to wrap up.

Reaction from players was swift and sarcastic.

What was I saying about how the MLBPA didn't trust the owners and some transparency might help?

Oops.

Only if you just need controversy

Sad, you are.

What are you Yoda-lite?

I don't need controversy, nor want it, but as long as MLBPA doesn't trust the owners, and why should they after the years of being lied to, cheated and illegally conspired against by the owners. As long as they think the owners are short-changing them getting to yes will be a problem.

So some transparency for the players might be helpful, and yes it might cost the owners more.

Again have TV contracts been modified to reflect a shortened season? I think the players who are being asked to forgoe their contracts have a right to understand what the owners have given up and what they haven't given up.

Excellent points.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 469