Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What will be the outcome of Russia's invasion of Ukraine?

Russia will gain eastern Ukraine territories and hold them, as it has Crimea
- 5 (45.5%)
Russia will temporarily gain eastern Ukraine territories before being forced out of them
- 2 (18.2%)
Efforts to confront the Russian forces and get them out of Ukraine will lead to Putin's escalating and attacking NATO countries directly with missiles or other destructive measures
- 0 (0%)
The NATO/World response will be so mild that Putin will go ahead and take the rest of Ukraine
- 3 (27.3%)
Today Ukraine, tomorrow Moldova and who knows where else
- 1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 01, 2022, 01:18:43 PM

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 145

Author Topic: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine  (Read 43616 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine
« Reply #405 on: March 09, 2022, 12:28:51 PM »

"We're preparing for a new Russian offensive. We've ordered 50 extra busses for POWs."

Mykolaiv Oblast Governor Vitaliy Kim is fast earning a reputation for astonishing panache under pressure.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 12:53:15 PM by josh »
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 09, 2022, 12:43:28 PM »

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/2022/3/8/2084548/--The-Z-sign-is-the-symbol-for-people-who-cannot-even-draw-a-swastika-properly

There is a nice breakdown on the Russian economy as it relates to Mexican avocados in this piece. Well worth the read.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 09, 2022, 03:03:13 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/09/europe/russia-conscripts-fighting-ukraine-intl/index.html

Putin's denying that the conscripts were part of the invasion force was stupid.

A day earlier, in an International Women's Day address, Putin had reassured soldiers' mothers and wives that Russian conscripts are not taking part in his invasion of Ukraine, which he has referred to as a "special military operation."
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 03:05:18 PM by josh »
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Holly Martins

« Reply #408 on: March 09, 2022, 03:14:16 PM »

BTW, anyone know why some news outlets are putting Russian oil imports, as a percentage of total US consumption, at 3% (Forbes, et al) and some at 8% (WSJ, et al)?

I sense there are two different metrics being used here.

A shock I imagine, but I was actually not being rhetorical. Kind of baffling.  And somebody even posted a 1% figure. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 09, 2022, 03:19:14 PM »

BTW, anyone know why some news outlets are putting Russian oil imports, as a percentage of total US consumption, at 3% (Forbes, et al) and some at 8% (WSJ, et al)?

A shock I imagine, but I was actually not being rhetorical. Kind of baffling.  And somebody even posted a 1% figure.

"The US imported about 672,000 barrels per day of crude oil and petroleum products from Russia in 2021, according to data from the Energy Dept." (per NYP)

Let's take that number at face value. We can figure out the percentage from there.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 09, 2022, 03:23:20 PM »

"The US imported about 672,000 barrels per day of crude oil and petroleum products from Russia in 2021, according to data from the Energy Dept." (per NYP)

Let's take that number at face value. We can figure out the percentage from there.

But part of the problem is what the percent is of.

From WSJ:
"About 8% of U.S. imports of oil and refined products, or about 672,000 barrels a day, came from Russia last year, said Andy Lipow, president of Lipow Oil Associates LLC in Houston, citing figures from the Energy Information Administration. Of that, Russia's crude made up roughly 3% of the nation's imports, about 200,000 barrels a day. "

It's no wonder we're confused.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 09, 2022, 06:49:44 PM »

Kiwanis International

1 hour

Kiwanis is serious about youth protection. That is why we have created a toll-free, confidential helpline that can be used 24 hours a day by Kiwanis family members and the youth we serve. To access the U.S. helpline, call 866-607-SAFE (7233).

Learn more: https://bit.ly/31Y51Rn

---

The refugees need to have the telephone number for Kiwanis if they need help.

Salute,

Tony V.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 09, 2022, 11:08:02 PM »

Speak for yourself
The rest of us can understand English

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 09, 2022, 11:15:27 PM »

From Russia with Death....

Youch. And not a point many are making when they talk about Kremlin assets.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 09, 2022, 11:44:00 PM »

Speak for yourself

I would look forward to your explanation of the apparently contradictory sentences, but I know you can't do it, you can only posture.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 10, 2022, 12:23:43 AM »

Speak for yourself

I would look forward to your explanation of the apparently contradictory sentences, but I know you can't do it, you can only posture.
the USA imports 8 per cent of its oil from Russia of which 3 per cent is crude.
You can look it up.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 10, 2022, 12:30:49 AM »

We can decarbonize 8% in a year and not miss it.

Build Back Better, for the war effort and also for world peace.

Keep marching.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 145