Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What will be the outcome of Russia's invasion of Ukraine?

Russia will gain eastern Ukraine territories and hold them, as it has Crimea
- 5 (45.5%)
Russia will temporarily gain eastern Ukraine territories before being forced out of them
- 2 (18.2%)
Efforts to confront the Russian forces and get them out of Ukraine will lead to Putin's escalating and attacking NATO countries directly with missiles or other destructive measures
- 0 (0%)
The NATO/World response will be so mild that Putin will go ahead and take the rest of Ukraine
- 3 (27.3%)
Today Ukraine, tomorrow Moldova and who knows where else
- 1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 01, 2022, 01:18:43 PM

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 145

Author Topic: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine  (Read 43474 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine
« Reply #1185 on: May 12, 2022, 07:31:54 AM »

Most of the incinerated were civilians. 

Dropping Fat Man on a military installation on an island was an option, for those who believed Japanese lives had equal value to other human lives.  If that was not persuasive, a repetition with Little Boy would have done the job.

There's no way our shit doesn't stink on this decision.  And it wasn't just Truman, it was a decision that was reinforced throughout Pacific command.  And by civilian bombings elsewhere during the war, mostly firebombing and carpet bombing.

Yep

Holly Martins

« Reply #1186 on: May 12, 2022, 09:54:31 AM »

Russia is resorting to putting computer chips from dishwashers and refrigerators in tanks due to US sanctions, official says   

So many jokes, so little time...

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: May 12, 2022, 10:03:40 AM »

Nice PR

MS or CNN?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Holly Martins

« Reply #1188 on: May 12, 2022, 10:07:45 AM »

Business Insider. 

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1190 on: May 12, 2022, 12:11:25 PM »

Dropping Fat Man on a military installation on an island was an option, for those who believed Japanese lives had equal value to other human lives.  If that was not persuasive, a repetition with Little Boy would have done the job.

There's no way our shit doesn't stink on this decision.  And it wasn't just Truman, it was a decision that was reinforced throughout Pacific command.  And by civilian bombings elsewhere during the war, mostly firebombing and carpet bombing.

Projected casualties for a Japan campaign was 400-800k American dead and 5- 10 million dead Japanese.

Extending the war in Japan would have given Stalin the opportunity to go after Japan to get payback for 1905.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: May 12, 2022, 12:22:02 PM »

WW2...Japan tortured POWs to death, drained some of their blood, horrific experiments, blew up Pearl Harbour, bombed northern Australia for 18 months, killed civilians, butchered half of Asia Pacific, drove nurses into the sea and shot them in the back.
Signed up with the Nazis/Hitler.
Thank God for nukes and those in America who were willing to use them, and fire-bomb Tokyo etc.
The Japanese rape hordes were coming for mommy dearest and her ilk.
There was much rejoicing in bambuworld when Japan was nuked and the war ended.

Russia is more evil...it's 2022...we were supposed to be living in a peaceful world under the direction of the UN.
Russia took advantage and is repeating the horrors of Nazis, Japan, Italy.
Russia must be stopped before it marches thru Europe, and with its best buddy China, the world.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 12:42:15 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: May 12, 2022, 12:52:39 PM »

The Filipinos still honor MacArthur.

I met a lady on the bus from the Philippines, during the war the Japanese invaded the Philippines, and they were bringing out the Filipinos one by one and they were shooting them in the head execution style, and just as her Mother was being brought out to be killed the Americans showed up and saved her Mother. She loves America.

I had a friend from the Philippines who her father was an American soldier and her Mother was a rich lady in the Philippines, he stayed after the war and had a family in the Philippines. My friend came to America and she did charity here her whole life to help America, she loved America. Her cousin was Gloria Arroyo who was President of the Philippines.

And when I worked at Universal Studios it was owned by the Japanese and I was treated like a slave, they paid me the lowest wages allowed. I would never work for the Japanese again. I did not feel respected nor appreciated when I worked at Universal. And like with Sony in Culver City, I would never work there, I hope that Bezos or someone buys the studio from the Japanese and makes it American owned. Or maybe Bezos' ex wife will buy the studio in Culver City.

Salute,

Tony V.

Holly Martins

« Reply #1193 on: May 12, 2022, 12:56:31 PM »

Projected casualties for a Japan campaign was 400-800k American dead and 5- 10 million dead Japanese.

Extending the war in Japan would have given Stalin the opportunity to go after Japan to get payback for 1905.

Still think Plan B was worth a shot.  A hole of total devastation 1.6 kilometers in diameter can focus the mind, no matter where you put it.  But our military wanted guinea pigs, because the Hiroshima drop was intended to be an experiment that would provide data.   Planes dropped sensor equipment as the bomb dropped, to measure its effects.  This is all well documented.  And the second target, Nagasaki, had no military presence or strategic value - it was entirely about mass murder.  And more data.  And asserting military dominance to keep Russia out of the area after the war.

By the time the bomb was ready for use, Japan was ready to surrender. As General Dwight Eisenhower said, Japan was at that very moment seeking some way to surrender with minimum loss of face. It was not necessary to hit them with that awful thing..

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: May 12, 2022, 01:01:31 PM »

Listening to Russia chide Finland for possible violations of their treaties if they join NATO and threatening consequences would be hilarious were it not for how Russia behaves.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: May 12, 2022, 01:19:53 PM »

The people from the Philippines treated me like royalty, the people from the Philippines have such love for the USA. Whereas the Japanese who owned Universal just wanted to squeeze every penny out of the company that they could and they paid everyone as little as possible. I wish that the people from the Philippines owned Universal instead of the Japanese, if they treated me good I would still be working there, I would never have quit, I would be making movies at Universal right now if I was treated right and was able.

Anyhow, Bezos bought the Culver studio and maybe he will buy the Sony studio as well.

Salute,

Tony V.

Holly Martins

« Reply #1196 on: May 12, 2022, 01:35:37 PM »

Tony, would you have any interest in posting that in Movies, where it might fit the thread topic a wee bit better?

Listening to Russia chide Finland for possible violations of their treaties if they join NATO and threatening consequences would be hilarious were it not for how Russia behaves.

Had same thought.  Their inane jabber about "damaged relations" would be comical, if we didn't know what Putin does when he sees any possible expansion of NATO.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: May 12, 2022, 02:07:19 PM »

Tony, would you have any interest in posting that in Movies, where it might fit the thread topic a wee bit better?

Had same thought.  Their inane jabber about "damaged relations" would be comical, if we didn't know what Putin does when he sees any possible expansion of NATO.

The post was with the discussion about the Japanese. I worked for the Japanese and it was not a good experience. They are cold hearted business people who only care about money and who have no business owning our movie studios in the USA.

And if we are going to have people own our studios then it needs to be our allies who love us and who care about us, and for whom it is about more than just being about money. They build a wall around the movie studio and send the jobs to other places while they make horrible movies. They make horrible high budget films where they just fight for 2 hours, I do not enjoy just watching people fight for 2 hours. So, not only are people not being treated well, the movies which are being made are not any good. And the message that modern films are sending to society is not healthy.

If we are going to bring in foreign companies to own our movie studios, then we need to bring in our allies who love and respect us and for whom movies are about more than money and for whom our communities matter. They need to tear down the walls around the studios and send the youth to film school.

When I worked at Universal we had a special day at Christmas time for the people from the Philippines, and the whole park was full of people from the Philippines. The Filipinos have a powerful community here in California. And the Filipinos love Americans it is not just about the money like with some people. Maybe the people from the Philippines will open a studio here if Disney is not interested. And they can just hire all new people as they graduate from the local film and acting schools.

We need for our allies to own our studios, such as the Philippines, and France, if we are going to have foreign companies own our studios. The Japanese are hard core business people, and they build a wall around the studio, they run everything for profit, they send the jobs to other places, and they send the profits back to Japan, while the streets in Los Angeles are full of homeless people. And we need to have healthy communities instead of having our communities be gang war zones and we need for our companies to be a part of our communities and to provide dreams and hope for our youth. Our youth should not be little gangsters, they need to have hopes and dreams and higher aspirations. We have great schools, and we need for our youth to go from college to great jobs where they are respected and where they are paid well.

Sorry, last post about movies on the Ukraine thread.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 02:12:14 PM by FlyingVProd »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: May 12, 2022, 03:27:05 PM »

The post was with the discussion about the Japanese. I worked for the Japanese and it was not a good experience. They are cold hearted business people who only care about money and who have no business owning our movie studios in the USA.

And if we are going to have people own our studios then it needs to be our allies who love us and who care about us, and for whom it is about more than just being about money. They build a wall around the movie studio and send the jobs to other places while they make horrible movies. They make horrible high budget films where they just fight for 2 hours, I do not enjoy just watching people fight for 2 hours. So, not only are people not being treated well, the movies which are being made are not any good. And the message that modern films are sending to society is not healthy.

If we are going to bring in foreign companies to own our movie studios, then we need to bring in our allies who love and respect us and for whom movies are about more than money and for whom our communities matter. They need to tear down the walls around the studios and send the youth to film school.

When I worked at Universal we had a special day at Christmas time for the people from the Philippines, and the whole park was full of people from the Philippines. The Filipinos have a powerful community here in California. And the Filipinos love Americans it is not just about the money like with some people. Maybe the people from the Philippines will open a studio here if Disney is not interested. And they can just hire all new people as they graduate from the local film and acting schools.

We need for our allies to own our studios, such as the Philippines, and France, if we are going to have foreign companies own our studios. The Japanese are hard core business people, and they build a wall around the studio, they run everything for profit, they send the jobs to other places, and they send the profits back to Japan, while the streets in Los Angeles are full of homeless people. And we need to have healthy communities instead of having our communities be gang war zones and we need for our companies to be a part of our communities and to provide dreams and hope for our youth. Our youth should not be little gangsters, they need to have hopes and dreams and higher aspirations. We have great schools, and we need for our youth to go from college to great jobs where they are respected and where they are paid well.

Sorry, last post about movies on the Ukraine thread.

Salute,

Tony V.

Any thoughts about Russia's threats vis-a-vis Finland? Or over in the Biden folder about the mandatory boarding schools for the children of Natives?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: May 12, 2022, 03:58:29 PM »

Putin is becoming more disgusting by the day. And if he only knew the hell that he was inflicting on people. Making so many people become poor and homeless, he has no idea how hard the world can be. The death and destruction is hell, and it is compounded by causing millions to become homeless.

And it is going to become hell for the poor Russians as they starve from the sanctions, they were already poor, and with the sanctions the Russians are going to be starving. 

There are no winners here. And the sooner that Putin is removed the better the world will be.

And Putin will never be satisfied, he is a mad man, with Finland, and then he will target Poland, etc, he will never be satisfied.

I recommend the world come together and make a concerted effort to remove Putin. And we need for China to agree that Putin is like a rabid dog now and must be removed.

And for the Ukrainians, they need to take the fight to Moscow, and Putin needs to see dead bodies on his doorstep like the people of Ukraine, it needs to be the bad guys getting killed instead of the good people of Ukraine.

Salute,

Tony V.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 145