Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 596

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 135781 times)

Espnthree

• View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #6465 on: November 14, 2023, 12:06:11 PM »

Only if the question is

what spin will Luee put on a US congressperson who criticizes Israeli violence against civilians and obstruction of a peaceful two state solution that respects Palestinian sovereignty and land rights, especially if said congressperson is Muslim?

She didn't incite a massacre, she is speaking out against the bigotry and injustice that keeps causing massacres.  And holding Israel responsible for their part in the ongoing cycles of violence and revenge.  Fuck yes, we all know Hamas is responsible, no one is absolving them for their amoral savagery.  But that doesn't mean Israel's shit don't stink.
But yours does.
The Censure of Taihib came from the U S House of Representatives in a lop sided bi partisan vote that amplified and reaffirmed  US support for Israel as forcefully stated by President Biden.
At the core of the debate the representatives strongly indicated that the US Government identifies Hamas as a terrorist  organization and interpreted the phrase FromThe River To The Sea as calling for the destruction of Israel.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 12:08:06 PM by Espnthree »

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #6466 on: November 14, 2023, 12:37:18 PM »

I thought that people should have come up with a better slogan for their policy ideas.

It is a slogan that supports removing funds from police departments and reallocating them to non-policing forms of public safety and community support, such as social services, youth services, housing, education, healthcare and other community resources.

Put that on a bumper sticker.

It was co-opted and weaponized to mean whatever White folks said it means.

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/7-myths-about-defunding-the-police-debunked/
"There you go givin a fuck when it's not your turn to give a fuck"

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6467 on: November 14, 2023, 01:18:03 PM »

I thought that people should have come up with a better slogan for their policy ideas.

It is a slogan that supports removing funds from police departments and reallocating them to non-policing forms of public safety and community support, such as social services, youth services, housing, education, healthcare and other community resources.

That is my worry with the interpretation of River to the Sea, which is facially anodyne but may have acquired a secondary meaning. On the other hand, it could just be co-opted in order to limit legitimate discussion of Palestinian desires for statehood. I mean, if you look at the standard maps.of two state solutions, you can see why that slogan might have an appe to Palestinians who always seem to have a disconnected country at the mercy of Israel for inter country communications and travel.
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #6468 on: November 14, 2023, 01:18:38 PM »

I have no interest in making this a racial discussion.   

"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6469 on: November 14, 2023, 01:29:06 PM »

That is my worry with the interpretation of River to the Sea, which is facially anodyne but may have acquired a secondary meaning. On the other hand, it could just be co-opted in order to limit legitimate discussion of Palestinian desires for statehood. I mean, if you look at the standard maps.of two state solutions, you can see why that slogan might have an appe to Palestinians who always seem to have a disconnected country at the mercy of Israel for inter country communications and travel.

You raise some very good points. Most slogans are offered with varying connotations depending on the context and world views of their users.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #6470 on: November 14, 2023, 01:33:12 PM »

Whether you like it or not, it is..

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #6471 on: November 14, 2023, 01:40:50 PM »

Only if more than one person participates.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #6472 on: November 14, 2023, 02:36:51 PM »

Only if more than one person participates.

Which is why there may never be a rssolution.

Fingers in ears LALALALA

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #6473 on: November 14, 2023, 02:38:35 PM »

If you say so. 

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #6474 on: November 14, 2023, 03:27:07 PM »

The thing the right wing gains from the Tailb censure is that it allows them to construct a false equivalence between her words and actions and the words and actions of MTG and Paul Gosar who probably has a cabinet position in the next republican administration, should something so awful ever be allowed to come to pass.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Richard P. Feynman

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #6476 on: November 14, 2023, 04:59:12 PM »

Biden is doing some good things, the economy is getting better, and President Biden is meeting with President Xi of China in San Francisco. That is wonderful.

China Town in San Francisco is a great area, I hope the President of China will tour China Town with Biden, and I hope they can eat at the restaurants, etc.

It would be nice if they could spend a few days together discussing things.

China wants peace and trade, and they want happy customers, etc.

It is good that Biden and Xi are meeting in San Francisco.

Salute,

Tony V.

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #6477 on: November 14, 2023, 07:39:28 PM »

If you say so.

Not talking about the subject just makes it go awa, huh?

Sounds about white
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 07:41:06 PM by LarryB! »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #6478 on: November 14, 2023, 08:11:57 PM »

The discussion was about Representative Tlaib. If you want to turn it into a monologue about defunding the police, have at it.

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #6479 on: November 15, 2023, 12:37:56 AM »

The discussion was about Representative Tlaib. If you want to turn it into a monologue about defunding the police, have at it.

It as a dialogue about taking slogans and interpreting them only from one point of view..

Your dismissal of the subject by saying you were not interesting in having a racial discussion and saying it twice illustrated the point.

YOU emphatically defined it as a racial discussion not worthy of visiting, just as people ignore what PALESTINIANS say the slogan, From the River to the Sea, means to THEM.

https://forward.com/opinion/415250/from-the-river-to-the-sea-doesnt-mean-what-you-think-it-means/
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 596