Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 70076 times)

Oilcan

• View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #810 on: July 07, 2024, 09:30:24 PM »

That headline promises quite a yarn.

Depends on how they spin it.
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: July 08, 2024, 11:33:44 AM »

Finally caught Oppenheimer yesterday. Liked it a lot, especially for Downey - definitely see why he was considered a shoe in for the Oscar - and Murphy. Had a lot of trouble remembering who was who in the Los Alamos crew, and thought the "and then he met X" sections a little rote. But it was still impressive in its construction and execution, and unlike a lot of Nolan movies I could understand the dialog in the sound mix most of the time.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: July 11, 2024, 01:25:41 PM »

RIP to L.A. Joan.
A parrot bit me.

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #813 on: July 11, 2024, 01:39:45 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/film/article/2024/jul/11/shelley-duvall-star-of-the-shining-and-annie-hall-dies-aged-75

Given her struggles with eating disorder, she actually did better in longevity than is often the case with that.  The photo shown, her with Woody Allen, shows how serious was her condition.  I have a relative who suffers from this, and it is acutely painful how little we can do or how minimal progress has been on the medical front in finding treatments that break through body dysmorphias.

Glad you saw Opp.  I have had the feeling you do not rush out to a theater when a Nolan pic is released.  The ensemble cast was of a caliber to overcome a somewhat Wikipedish structure (as you say, a little rote).  The Oscar winners earned their awards, and I thought Murphy did a good job of getting me to overlook an oh so Irish face playing a German Jew.  (and also Branagh, another Irishman, playing a Danish Jew - is Irish the new Jewish?)
Im on the pavement

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: July 11, 2024, 03:08:44 PM »

At least they did not do the prosthetic nose.

The only other Nolan I liked was Dunkirk, though my failure to see it (Oppie) before has little to do with my feelings for his other projects and everything to do with it just now showing up for steaming on Bezos Prime.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 03:30:45 PM by Hairy Lime »
A parrot bit me.

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #815 on: July 18, 2024, 06:01:42 PM »

I guess Bob wont be waking up next to Suzanne Pleshette, this time.  RIP to a great comedy icon of my youth.  And possibly the only reason I bothered to watch a few episodes of The Big Bang Theory was Newharts appearances as professor Proton. 
Im on the pavement

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #816 on: July 22, 2024, 08:20:32 AM »

Chariots of Fire was better than I remember it being.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #817 on: July 23, 2024, 11:21:09 AM »

Anatomy of a Fall > Oppenheimer. A great screenplay anchored in three astonishingly good performances, particularly Sandra Huller - i have not see. Poor Things and cannot therefore say she was robbed of an Oscar, but... she was robbed of an Oscar - but Milo Machado-Gramer and Messi as well. The movie.reminded me, in the way it played with perspective, truth and memory, of A Separation, which is for me about as high praise as I can offer. One sceen of a marital fight was brilliantly written and acted l, up there with Tar's Juilliard lecture and sentient rocks as one of my favorite scenes in recent years.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #818 on: July 23, 2024, 11:35:42 AM »

Heh. Messi was awarded a Palm D'og at Cannes.
A parrot bit me.

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: July 23, 2024, 11:47:07 AM »

We wanted to see Anatomie dune Chute but it didnt appear in the outback.  Will have to get the Blu-ray - library has it.

Chariots, I recall the soundtrack better than the story.  Sounds worth a second view.  When my daughter took up running I used to, if on the piano when she came in, play the Vangelis riff.  Got yelled at sometimes.
Im on the pavement

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #820 on: July 23, 2024, 11:48:58 AM »

Heh. Messi was awarded a Palm D'og at Cannes.

You mean at Can(i)nes?

Im on the pavement

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #821 on: July 26, 2024, 07:25:02 PM »

Mayor Bass formed a new group to work on bringing Entertainment Industry jobs to Hollywood, and one thing that I told her was to invite the San Miguel Corporation from the Philippines to do business here in Hollywood. And 54% of the modern services economy is streaming services such as movies and television shows.

Salute,

Tony V.

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #822 on: July 27, 2024, 12:58:39 PM »

Been thinking about how paper cuts only happen when you are not trying to get one.

A movie that grows on one.
Im on the pavement

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #823 on: July 29, 2024, 12:53:13 PM »

Been thinking about how paper cuts only happen when you are not trying to get one.

A movie that grows on one.
It does indeed.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #824 on: July 30, 2024, 12:25:46 PM »

Mayor Bass formed a new group to work on bringing Entertainment Industry jobs to Hollywood, and one thing that I told her was to invite the San Miguel Corporation from the Philippines to do business here in Hollywood. And 54% of the modern services economy is streaming services such as movies and television shows.

Salute,

Tony V.
Bring entertainment jobs to Hollywood? What a brilliant example of political imagination! 2hat is next,.sending coals to Newcastle?
A parrot bit me.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57