Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all of the NFL teams make it through the whole season?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:04:36 PM

Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 329

Author Topic: National Football League  (Read 165944 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: National Football League
« Reply #2715 on: November 29, 2020, 07:30:12 PM »

after the tsunami in the 1st qtr it turned into a decent game

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: November 29, 2020, 07:31:19 PM »

Brady remembered to shake hands. In a loss.

Amazing.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: November 29, 2020, 07:44:48 PM »

Giselle yelled at him

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: November 29, 2020, 09:19:06 PM »

Back door cover?

Real money KC bettors irate.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: November 30, 2020, 02:53:59 AM »

I'd take Seattle in tomorrow's game.

For a lot.

The Broncos have no available QB for tomorrow. All 3 on their roster have Covid related issues

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2920143-broncos-reportedly-wanted-coach-rob-calabrese-to-start-at-qb-nfl-denied-request

I agree with the Broncos - the NFL was unreasonable, whether it was the refusal to let Calabrese play or the refusal to let them move the game.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: November 30, 2020, 02:14:34 PM »

The Arizona 49ers.

Has a certain ring to it, huh?

Kind of like the Utah Jazz.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: November 30, 2020, 03:36:01 PM »

The Arizona 49ers.

Or the Atlanta Braves or LA Dodgers or the SF Giants. Brooklyn Nets. Indianapolis Colts.

Shall we go on?

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: November 30, 2020, 05:05:19 PM »

more like

The Buffalo Blue Jays

or the Tampa Raptors

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: November 30, 2020, 06:17:23 PM »

The Arizona 49ers.

Or the Atlanta Braves or LA Dodgers or the SF Giants. Brooklyn Nets. Indianapolis Colts.

Shall we go on?

No, the Braves are not the same kind of issue as there were Native Americans in GA. The Giants have no place affiliation. The Dodgers could have been, given their origins of dodging the trolley cars, but I think the Lakers are a far better example - named for the 10,000 lakes! Nets can be anywhere. So can Cubs or Lions or Tigers, since they are misfit animals, regardless of location. Athletics, too. Philly, KC, Oakland, Las Vegas, you name it and people can be athletic.

And the Colts would be a good example, except that almost nobody remembers why they were the Colts in Bal'more, either!

The Tennessee Oilers would be another fine example.

I have no problems with either the Buffalo Blue Jays or the Tampa Raptors, for all that the names feel odd right now, as I imagine there are blue jays in Buffalo and I know there are Raptors in Tampa. The Tampa Yankees, OTOH, were always an oddness! And Red, White, and Blue Sox can go wherever they please as can Reds, Grays, or whatever color you wish.

It's the misfit between the cause of the original name and the current location that maintained that name that prompts my comparison, not merely that the team was dislocated.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: November 30, 2020, 07:43:50 PM »

Baltimore is horse country. Lots of champion thoroughbreds from there.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: November 30, 2020, 08:22:36 PM »

Baltimore is also the land of COVID-19 listed football players.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/30/us/ravens-steelers-covid-cases-spt-trnd/index.html

The Baltimore Infections, maybe...

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: November 30, 2020, 09:12:09 PM »

The Arizona 49ers.

Shall we go on?

No, the Braves are not the same kind of issue as there were Native Americans in GA. The Giants have no place affiliation. The Dodgers could have been, given their origins of dodging the trolley cars, but I think the Lakers are a far better example - named for the 10,000 lakes! Nets can be anywhere. So can Cubs or Lions or Tigers, since they are misfit animals, regardless of location. Athletics, too. Philly, KC, Oakland, Las Vegas, you name it and people can be athletic.

And the Colts would be a good example, except that almost nobody remembers why they were the Colts in Bal'more, either!

I have no problems with either the Buffalo Blue Jays or the Tampa Raptors, for all that the names feel odd right now, as I imagine there are blue jays in Buffalo and I know there are Raptors in Tampa. The Tampa Yankees, OTOH, were always an oddness! And Red, White, and Blue Sox can go wherever they please as can Reds, Grays, or whatever color you wish.

It's the misfit between the cause of the original name and the current location that maintained that name that prompts my comparison, not merely that the team was dislocated.

New York Rangers. Still doesn't work. No more than the Boston Cowboys would or the Pittsburgh Pirates does.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: November 30, 2020, 09:32:51 PM »

The Arizona 49ers.

Shall we go on?

New York Rangers. Still doesn't work. No more than the Boston Cowboys would or the Pittsburgh Pirates does.

Boston Cowboys wouldn't work, no. New York Rangers has mystified me for a while, but I am sufficiently not into Hockey that I haven't looked it up. The Hartford Whalers was... odd.

The Pittsburgh Pirates come by their name honestly, though!

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pirates/2013/10/03/Let-s-Learn-From-the-Past-How-the-Pirates-got-their-name/stories/201310030085#:~:text=The%20Philadelphia%20team%20loudly%20protested,Pirates%20for%20the%201891%20season.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: November 30, 2020, 11:15:56 PM »

The Arizona 49ers.

Shall we go on?

Boston Cowboys wouldn't work, no. New York Rangers has mystified me for a while, but I am sufficiently not into Hockey that I haven't looked it up. The Hartford Whalers was... odd.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pirates/2013/10/03/Let-s-Learn-From-the-Past-How-the-Pirates-got-their-name/stories/201310030085#:~:text=The%20Philadelphia%20team%20loudly%20protested,Pirates%20for%20the%201891%20season.

the Hartford Whalers were originally The New England Whalers playing in Boston for their first 2or 3 years (early 70s).

Whaling in NE seems legit, as does Hurricanes which was their name when they moved to North Carolina.

Maple Leafs could work in most places in North America, but the Canadiens seems somewhat limited to north of the our border and southern Florida.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: November 30, 2020, 11:23:59 PM »

The Arizona 49ers.

Shall we go on?

the Hartford Whalers were originally The New England Whalers playing in Boston for their first 2or 3 years (early 70s).

Whaling in NE seems legit, as does Hurricanes which was their name when they moved to North Carolina.

Maple Leafs could work in most places in North America, but the Canadiens seems somewhat limited to north of the our border and southern Florida.

Whaling in Boston seemed legit. New Haven would have worked. Hartford? It was mocked at the time and deservedly so. Bad enough that it made this list of worst sports team names, at #10, just below the UTAH Jazz. They are only fortunate to have been on a list including college/university teams.

After all, we cannot all be the Banana Slugs! (Or the Horny Toads, for that matter, but they aren't on the list!)

https://fansided.com/2014/06/23/10-worst-ridiculous-sports-team-names-ever/2/
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 329