Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 256489 times)

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #1050 on: November 16, 2018, 09:54:01 AM »

Remember when everyone thought Mike Leach couldn't turn the miserable Cougars around?

I thought it was a great fit.  I love the guy

Everyone that poo pooed it needs to go stand in a darkly lit control room.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: November 16, 2018, 09:57:16 AM »

I don't think anybody here said that Mike Leach couldn't turn Washington State around.  Other coaches have won there and Leach has a track record of turning teams around.  What was said is that Leach is an SOB, is generally one step ahead of the law and is an arrogant piece of work. 
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: November 16, 2018, 10:03:37 AM »

Seeing you guys are a bunch of college football afficianados, heres a blast from the past.

Its the 50th anniversary of the classic, 1968 "Harvard Beats Yale 29-29"  game.

I've posted about ithe game (my dad, a Harvard grad took me to the game) and a subsequent encounter about 25 years after the game with Tommy Lee Jones, who played for Harvard.

Here's a pretty good article from today's Globe about the '68 game.

The 2018 game will be played tomorrow at Fenway Park.

Roll Crimson Sox!   

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/colleges/2018/11/15/years-later-harvard-win-over-yale-still-resonates/8mStl7zcvfydfPvyovRRSN/story.html#comments

The Game, as its followers call it with upper-case reverence, essentially was over. Yale was ahead by two touchdowns with less than four minutes to play and was driving for another.

“We were getting our butts kicked,” Harvard fullback Gus Crim observed.

And suddenly Harvard Stadium turned upside-down as dusk fell in 1968 amid an implausible succession of fumbles, penalties, bounces, and clutch plays that produced the most remarkable outcome in this storied rivalry.

its a pretty good read

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: November 16, 2018, 10:19:18 AM »

Good stuff.  A Harvard-Yale football game would be on my bucket list of athletic events.  Kind of a supercharged Bowdoin-Bates game.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 11:34:37 AM by Yankguy1 »
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: November 16, 2018, 11:30:57 AM »

Seeing you guys are a bunch of college football afficianados, heres a blast from the past.

I've posted about ithe game (my dad, a Harvard grad took me to the game) and a subsequent encounter about 25 years after the game with Tommy Lee Jones, who played for Harvard.

Roll Crimson Sox!   

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/colleges/2018/11/15/years-later-harvard-win-over-yale-still-resonates/8mStl7zcvfydfPvyovRRSN/story.html#comments

The Game, as its followers call it with upper-case reverence, essentially was over. Yale was ahead by two touchdowns with less than four minutes to play and was driving for another.

And suddenly Harvard Stadium turned upside-down as dusk fell in 1968 amid an implausible succession of fumbles, penalties, bounces, and clutch plays that produced the most remarkable outcome in this storied rivalry.

its a pretty good read
Fight fiercely, Harvard
fight, fight, fight!
Demonstrate to them our skill
Albeit they possess the might
Nonetheless we have the will
How we shall celebrate our victory
We shall invite the whole team up for tea
(How jolly!)
Hurl that spheroid down the field, and
Fight, fight, fight!
Fight fiercely, Harvard
fight, fight, fight!
Impress them with our prowess, do!
Oh, fellows, do not let the crimson down
Be of stout heart and true
Come on, chaps, fight for Harvard's glorious name
Won't it be peachy if we win the game?
(Oh, goody!)
Let's try not to injure them, but
Fight, fight, fight!
(Let's not be rough though)
And do fight fiercely!
Fight, fight, fight
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: November 16, 2018, 11:36:09 AM »

Good stuff.  A Harvard-Yale football game would be on my bucket list of athletic evens.  Kind of a supercharged Bowdoin-Bates game.

it was a great game and an amazing and surreal atmosphere.

While some memories are hazy, as Harvard scored the 2-point conversion, after regular game time had expired, the place exploded, people were hugging, crying, laughing, yellling, it was nuts. SDS students were hugging Daughters of the American Revolution.

And then Harvard Band started playing the school's victory song "10,000 Men of Harvard" and there was a huge sing-a-long.

that song still gives me a buzz.

I think my bucket list on college football, forgive me boz, would be Michigan v tOSU in Columbus, with "Script Ohio" half-time

or maybe Army-Navy in Philly and to get there early enough to see the Cadets march-in

or maybe tomorrow's renewal of the classic: The Citadel at Alabama.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: November 16, 2018, 11:38:29 AM »

Michigan---Ohio State is on my list as well, and I had a chance to pay and arm leg to go this year.  I turned it down.   

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: November 16, 2018, 11:51:09 AM »

mocking Tom Lehrer?

JFC

for those so inclined

10,000 Men of Harvard performed in concert by the Harvard Band and sung in both Latin and English. (English version. for you slobs not conversant in Latin, kicks in at 3 minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x83pyzLZn3c

Ten thousand men of Harvard want vict'ry today,
For they know that o'er old Eli
Fair Harvard holds sway.
So then we'll conquer old Eli's men,
And when the game ends, we'll sing again:
Ten thousand men of Harvard gained vict'ry today!

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: November 16, 2018, 12:40:22 PM »

Good stuff.  A Harvard-Yale football game would be on my bucket list of athletic evens.  Kind of a supercharged Bowdoin-Bates game.

While some memories are hazy, as Harvard scored the 2-point conversion, after regular game time had expired, the place exploded, people were hugging, crying, laughing, yellling, it was nuts. SDS students were hugging Daughters of the American Revolution.

And then Harvard Band started playing the school's victory song "10,000 Men of Harvard" and there was a huge sing-a-long.

I think my bucket list on college football, forgive me boz, would be Michigan v tOSU in Columbus, with "Script Ohio" half-time

or maybe Army-Navy in Philly and to get there early enough to see the Cadets march-in

No, that would be great, either at the Shoe for.Script.Ohio - It was.stirring when it was only us and we sucked, against Meatchicken with 100000 screaming people would be amazing - or in the Big Urinal. It would be on my bucket list as well. My #1 is the Rose Bowl, but I think the playoffs have undercut that a bit.

Tom Lehrer, inventor of the Jell-o Shot and author of both the best put down song ever and the best song ever about the periodic table of the elements, is still alive.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: November 16, 2018, 12:49:36 PM »

No, that would be great, either at the Shoe for.Script.Ohio - It was.stirring when it was only us and we sucked, against Meatchicken with 100000 screaming people would be amazing - or in the Big Urinal. It would be on my bucket list as well. My #1 is the Rose Bowl, but I think the playoffs have undercut that a bit.

Tom Lehrer, inventor of the Jell-o Shot and author of both the best put down song ever and the best song ever about the periodic table of the elements, is still alive.
And getting an interview with him is as difficult as getting an interview with J.D. Salinger the last 40 years of his life.  Boy I hated "Catcher in the Rye."

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: November 16, 2018, 01:28:19 PM »

I don't think anybody here said that Mike Leach couldn't turn Washington State around.  Other coaches have won there and Leach has a track record of turning teams around.  What was said is that Leach is an SOB, is generally one step ahead of the law and is an arrogant piece of work.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/washington-state-we-lost-dollar16-million-in-pledges-after-mike-leach-tweeted-fake-obama-video/ar-BBPMbfX?ocid=ientp

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: November 16, 2018, 04:36:58 PM »

:-)

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: November 16, 2018, 04:40:12 PM »

Roll Crimson Sox!   

its a pretty good read

https://youtu.be/9w-DuepzjxI

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: November 16, 2018, 05:23:54 PM »

In NO years has there ever been a case for more than four teams.

Of course, you insisted it would never go to four. So it is not surprising that you can not see the writing on the wall.

If you are saying "should" it, then I would be inclined to agree that it should not.  But it will...and it is obvious it will.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 329