Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 259056 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #4020 on: January 03, 2021, 04:54:55 PM »

Watched professional rugby today. Men still playing like men. Nice.

And not one rugby player leads with his head.

if they did they'd be playing wheelchair rugby.

If they were lucky.

Spearing, which was what that was, was banned, almost 50 years ago,

It was a dirty and dangerous play pure and simple.

This spearing crap is so overblown. Calling that spearing is just plain wrong. That would not have been a penalty in my day. When I played that would have just been a great tackle. That's how we played, if you couldn't take it you either went and sat the bench or quit. No way in hell that play was flagged. No effing way.

Cap that hit was the definition of spearing.

In your day you were not taught to tackle that way, I wasn't, no one was. Because leading with your helmet was dangerous to everyone.

The difference today is that instant replay can catch the play. Back in your day that would have been a hard brutal hit, and unless the ref had the right angle on it, nothing would have been called. But it doesn't change the fact it was a dirty hit.

I saw that hit and instantly, I mean instantly, thought "spearing that guy' gone".

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: January 03, 2021, 04:55:45 PM »

Absolutely loved that hit. That wouldn't have been a penalty in the 30's, 40's,50's, 60's, 70's,80's

So there was once a place for it for over a half century.

El Capitan,  Good to see you are still kicking, Cap!  All the best for a
Happy and Healthy 2021!

I checked out the video of the Clemson LB's hit on the BuckNut QB who was
running upfield at the time, not sitting in the pocket throwing the ball and hence
in a "defenseless position".  The Tiger LB had been ejected before, I understand, and
should have been extra aware of his tackling technique.  I think it is highly likely
the Tiger LB thought the BuckNut was going to slide and was surprised that instead he
twisted his body and thrust his back into the Tiger's helmet. 
A stupid move by the BuckNut and he is to blame for any injury to his ribs he sustained.
( He also took a flop trying to draw a penalty which the ref let go with a warning!)

As for who will be drafted first Lawrence or the BuckNut....the NFL teams will have the
Lesson of one Dwayne Haskins to ponder long and hard before taking a chance on
an even more immature and less talented QB like Fields.

Anyway, Cap, good to see you!
Take care and stay safe.
DeeJ

Hey Deej, great to hear from you.

And yes the QB did do an Olé! But that's is NEVER taken into consideration when the bleeding hearts look at a play. Most can't do it objectively, they think the defensive player can make impossible moves in mid-air. The big lie is the "leading with your head" BS. I know what launch tackling with your helmet is. I've done it and I was good at it. And I know what simple bowing your neck, lowering your shoulders getting down and hittin a guy is. They are two dofferent things.

Did I ever feel bad about doing the latter? Never, did I feel bad about doing the former, well...sometimes. Hey. I said never I'd be lying. Sometimes you need to make someone understand why it's not a good thing to run your mouth too much.

But again great to hear from you. 
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: January 03, 2021, 04:57:44 PM »

The rules of the past don't matter.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: January 03, 2021, 05:02:31 PM »

If they were lucky.

This spearing crap is so overblown. Calling that spearing is just plain wrong. That would not have been a penalty in my day. When I played that would have just been a great tackle. That's how we played, if you couldn't take it you either went and sat the bench or quit. No way in hell that play was flagged. No effing way.

In your day you were not taught to tackle that way, I wasn't, no one was. Because leading with your helmet was dangerous to everyone.

The difference today is that instant replay can catch the play. Back in your day that would have been a hard brutal hit, and unless the ref had the right angle on it, nothing would have been called. But it doesn't change the fact it was a dirty hit.

I saw that hit and instantly, I mean instantly, thought "spearing that guy' gone".

Actually you're wrong Rich. Sorry but wrong. I was absolutely taught to make exactly the same tackle that the Clemson player made. That wasn't launch spearing, it was a simple get down and hit em tackle. Nothing wrong with it.

And yes my coach was always pissed if I launch "speared" someone. Mostly because he didn't want me to get hurt and out of the game. Didn't stop the SOB from playing me though. That's the "real" truth about coaching back in the day. All this "we never taught that stuff" is a flat out bullshit. Coaches taught it, maybe not all but lots of them did. That was the real world my brother.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 05:05:44 PM by CaptainCargo »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: January 03, 2021, 05:03:42 PM »

Didn't say they did. What I did say was the new rules suck.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: January 03, 2021, 05:06:04 PM »

And as was case with players of every generation, players need to learn to play within them.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: January 03, 2021, 05:07:22 PM »

And as was case with players of every generation, players need to learn to play within them.

Yeah yeah.

LOL

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: January 03, 2021, 05:14:04 PM »

If they were lucky.

Actually you're wrong Rich. Sorry but wrong. I was absolutely taught to make exactly the same tackle that the Clemson player made. That wasn't launch spearing, it was a simple get down and hit em tackle. Nothing wrong with it.

And yes my coach was always pissed if I launch "speared" someone. Mostly because he didn't want me to get hurt and out of the game. Didn't stop the SOB from playing me though. That's the "real" truth about coaching back in the day. All this "we never taught that stuff" is a flat out bullshit. Coaches taught it, maybe not all but lots of them did. That was the real world my brother.

Actually that was the defintion of spearing cap.

I was taught to tackle with my shoulder, head on the outside and wrap up the runner.

If you were taught to lead with your head, then you were.

the Clemson guy lowered his helmet and drove it into Fields.

I had no problem with him being tossed. It was a dangerous play.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: January 03, 2021, 05:16:06 PM »

So did Junior Seau's suicide. All sorts of rules get changed because they are dangerous and cause.injury.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: January 03, 2021, 05:33:14 PM »

If they were lucky.

I was taught to tackle with my shoulder, head on the outside and wrap up the runner.

There is no way. And I mean no way Rich if you were a defensive player that you never not on purpose hit a guy with the crown of your helmet. No way. If you say you never did then...well... I'm sorry but you're lying. Sure you try and hit with your shoulder. But, here's the thing, guys you try to tackle have this nasty habit of trying not to get hit. They tend to move. And you can't always just stop in mid air to accommodate them.

I'm really the Reggie Jackson of this forum aren't I. :-)

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: January 03, 2021, 05:37:04 PM »

So did Junior Seau's suicide. All sorts of rules get changed because they are dangerous and cause.injury.

Would you feel all butt hurt if I said I don't give a shit? You play a dangerous sport you take your chances. You knew what it was going in. Sure people will try and "fix" it. Happens to every dangerous thing out there. Some day you'll only be allowed to sky dive in a virtual reality chamber.

Fuck that.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 05:39:25 PM by CaptainCargo »

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: January 03, 2021, 05:54:07 PM »

If they were lucky.

There is no way. And I mean no way Rich if you were a defensive player that you never not on purpose hit a guy with the crown of your helmet. No way. If you say you never did then...well... I'm sorry but you're lying. Sure you try and hit with your shoulder. But, here's the thing, guys you try to tackle have this nasty habit of trying not to get hit. They tend to move. And you can't always just stop in mid air to accommodate them.

I'm really the Reggie Jackson of this forum aren't I. :-)

Cap i played 2-way in high school and on kick-off team, and I banged hats with guys, because it happened, because its football, but not because I wanted to use my head as a battering ram.

But that's not the discussion and I did not say that-its a BS deflection.

Kids running at each other with mayhem on their mind are going to hit hats.

But I was never coached nor taught to lead with my helmet. I was taught technique.

If you're telling me you were taught to lead with your head, I believe you.

and the Clemson kid led with his helmet and speared Fields.And it was obvious.

And he got called for it and got run.

Which was the right call.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: January 03, 2021, 06:00:09 PM »

It isn't obvious to me at all. He put his head and shoulders down to make a tackle. The QB ole'ed and he got nailed.

Unfortunate, but I'm not going to cry about it. Shit happens. At least you admit that shit happens. I'll take it.

You think the kid did it on purpose. I'm saying as fast as that happened it could easily have not been on purpose. And just because the "new rules" nailed him before that doesn't mean jack shit either. If it can happen once it can happen a dozen times.

So, I'll stick with fuck the new rules thank you. :-)

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: January 03, 2021, 06:13:53 PM »

And here's the thing Rich we are NOT going to agree on this. So one of us is going to have to say okie dokie we move on.

So okie dokie.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: January 03, 2021, 06:21:55 PM »

I agree cap-reasonable folks can see a play in a different way.

There are some helmets to helmets I think are unintentional, CB lowers his shoulder as the WR braces and lowers, and helmet to helmet. and the CB gets called. Which I think is a tough call. And I probably would let those slide.

But I did not feel that way on the Clemson hit, it looked to me as planned and could have been avoided. I thought Fields was done for the day or longer.

And okie dokie.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 06:24:05 PM by bankshot1 »
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 329