Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What will be the outcome of Russia's invasion of Ukraine?

Russia will gain eastern Ukraine territories and hold them, as it has Crimea
- 5 (45.5%)
Russia will temporarily gain eastern Ukraine territories before being forced out of them
- 2 (18.2%)
Efforts to confront the Russian forces and get them out of Ukraine will lead to Putin's escalating and attacking NATO countries directly with missiles or other destructive measures
- 0 (0%)
The NATO/World response will be so mild that Putin will go ahead and take the rest of Ukraine
- 3 (27.3%)
Today Ukraine, tomorrow Moldova and who knows where else
- 1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 01, 2022, 01:18:43 PM

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 145

Author Topic: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine  (Read 44605 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine
« Reply #375 on: March 08, 2022, 08:03:17 AM »

Price gouging is illegal. I hope that gets acted on.

Not that they aren't price gouging but I do not think tbe world wide barrel price for oil depends on where that barrel is from.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Holly Martins

« Reply #376 on: March 08, 2022, 09:35:34 AM »

Back of the envelope - if we were a nation where people still do things for the good of the country and larger world, each person could take a bus or light rail or bike or walk (where feasible) to go to work or shopping or visiting ONE DAY OUT OF EVERY TWO WEEKS and there would be no shortfall of domestic fuel supply. 

Or, here's a thought in the Two Birds One Stone category: promote self-powered transport as a way to be patriotic AND help win the battle against obesity.  (and, third bird, clean up the air and lower carbon spew)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 08, 2022, 09:48:01 AM »

Overfocus on environmental issues has bit the US in the butt

But I agree, Barton.  Cut gas consumption, on an individual basis

Tough one for me, admittedly.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 08, 2022, 10:57:22 AM »

Putin is hiding his lover and their kids in Switzerland, one report said at a luxury ski resort.

Kidnap and use as bargaining chips?

Yeah, sure.

Why not?

Because that is the path of reduced humanity and escalation of hostage taking.

Your inhumanity is noted. Stick to dogs.

Reduced humanity?
Nah, just something to trade.

Reduced humanity.

Exchange of prisoners of war (declared or not) is not the same as using children as pawns.

You? You probably think using children as shields against bombing is also okay.

And if not, then how your suggestion different.

Inhuman and inviting every other group opposed to what a country is doing to seize children to barter with for what they want.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 08, 2022, 11:06:23 AM »

Price gouging is illegal. I hope that gets acted on.

Not that they aren't price gouging but I do not think tbe world wide barrel price for oil depends on where that barrel is from.

No, but despite its being the excuse, the gas price rise is not solely dependent upon the rise in barrel prices - it is very much out of proportion.

https://gasprices.aaa.com/state-gas-price-averages/

https://gasprices.aaa.com/global-tensions-push-oil-prices-higher-and-pump-prices-follow/

Pump prices usually rise preceding trouble and decline following trouble. They tend to rise more than the relative price increase would predict. And with demand being artificially controlled, it makes the market less supply/demand based than many markets.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 08, 2022, 11:08:28 AM »

Back of the envelope - if we were a nation where people still do things for the good of the country and larger world, each person could take a bus or light rail or bike or walk (where feasible) to go to work or shopping or visiting ONE DAY OUT OF EVERY TWO WEEKS and there would be no shortfall of domestic fuel supply. 

There's no shortage of domestic fuel supply. And releasing stores of gasoline from the national emergency supply won't have much of the desired impact because the change in price is not supply-based or demand-based.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 08, 2022, 11:10:29 AM »

Both unrelated and bullshit.

If it weren't that the rest of us would suffer, I would love to let things play out just to hear your reaction as events and reality drown out your claims that it is not a problem requiring stronger response, not weaker.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #382 on: March 08, 2022, 11:18:38 AM »

Under focus on environmental issues has fucked over the world.

Should have made the transition off the fossil fuel economy much sooner than now since that economy is destroying the environment for human habitation.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 08, 2022, 11:29:53 AM »

Oh, I forgot.

One reason for the comment on the Russian oil imports is that fear of price increases in the US has been the stated reason for opposition to blocking their oil.

1%.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #384 on: March 08, 2022, 11:38:58 AM »

Biden banning Russian oil imports.

Made some very strong points on gas prices
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 08, 2022, 11:55:00 AM »

Oh, I forgot.

One reason for the comment on the Russian oil imports is that fear of price increases in the US has been the stated reason for opposition to blocking their oil.

1%.

Fact Check
Sources:
PBS, The Hill

The United States is the largest oil producer in the world  ahead of Saudi Arabia and Russia but it is also the biggest oil consumer, and it cannot  meet that staggering demand with domestic crude alone.

The U.S. imported 245 million barrels of oil from Russia last year (about 8 percent of all U.S. oil imports) up from 198 million barrels in 2020. That is  less than the U.S. gets from Canada or Mexico but more than it imported last year from Saudi Arabia.

The U.S. could survive cutting off Russian oil and gas imports over the Moscow invasion of Ukraine, but it would almost certainly strike a massive financial toll.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 08, 2022, 12:34:11 PM »

Putin is hiding his lover and their kids in Switzerland, one report said at a luxury ski resort.

Kidnap and use as bargaining chips?

Yeah, sure.

Why not?

Because that is the path of reduced humanity and escalation of hostage taking.

Your inhumanity is noted. Stick to dogs.

Reduced humanity?
Nah, just something to trade.

Reduced humanity.

Exchange of prisoners of war (declared or not) is not the same as using children as pawns.

You? You probably think using children as shields against bombing is also okay.

And if not, then how your suggestion different.

Inhuman and inviting every other group opposed to what a country is doing to seize children to barter with for what they want.

Russia is blowing children to bits.
Russian troops are shooting unarmed fleeing refugees.
Something drastic has to be done.
I'm not saying harm the lover and kids, just kidnap them and detain them somewhere nice, good food, cable tv Disney Kids etc.
Russian evil is taking over the world, it's not the time for soft and mushy hearts.
Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 08, 2022, 01:13:26 PM »

Oh, I forgot.

1%.

Fact Check
Sources:
PBS, The Hill

The United States is the largest oil producer in the world  ahead of Saudi Arabia and Russia but it is also the biggest oil consumer, and it cannot  meet that staggering demand with domestic crude alone.

The U.S. imported 245 million barrels of oil from Russia last year (about 8 percent of all U.S. oil imports) up from 198 million barrels in 2020. That is  less than the U.S. gets from Canada or Mexico but more than it imported last year from Saudi Arabia.

The U.S. could survive cutting off Russian oil and gas imports over the Moscow invasion of Ukraine, but it would almost certainly strike a massive financial toll.

In all good conscience, the West needs to stop buying everything Russia is selling.
Oil price gouging?
Not impossible, price gouging on anything and everything else companies in the West can get away with seems rife these days.
Stay home, leave the gasoline in the gas station tanks, then watch the prices drop.
Petrol (gasoline) at my pumps is $2.10 a litre.
$8 a gallon...roughly.
3.78 litres in a gallon.
Another reason we can't work for $5 and $10 an hour.

ScoMo is now being blamed by the Left for rising prices of oil, goods in supermarkets etc.
Yes, like the pandemic, the massive bushfires, the floods now devastating the whole east coast of the nation, the sexual harassment of women in Parliament House over decades, Ukraine war...it's all ScoMo's fault. LOL.
Now the poor man has Covid again, and more severely this time judging by the latest photo.

Go woke, go broke.

Holly Martins

« Reply #388 on: March 08, 2022, 02:11:26 PM »

Underfocus on learning the science bit yours clean off.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 08, 2022, 02:14:23 PM »

I doubted you were ever able to pass a road test. Thanks for the confirmation.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 145