Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 295424 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #4635 on: June 22, 2021, 09:58:44 PM »

In MLB, when a player strikes out each of his first two trips in a game vs the starting pitcher, what do you think their average is in 3rd at bats of that game, given that the same pitcher is in the game?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: June 22, 2021, 10:06:04 PM »

I really hate The Trop, even when events go in our favor from the stupid catwalks.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: June 22, 2021, 11:06:43 PM »

After 10 innings, this game (Bos at TB) is just nuts.

On to the 11th.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: June 22, 2021, 11:35:07 PM »

After 10 innings, this game (Bos at TB) is just nuts.

On to the 11th.

It should have been an error, but the 1st baseman never touched it, so "double" is the scoring decision.

I'll take it - 9-5 final score.

The runner on 2nd to start each half inning loses much of its excitement when the home team is losing my more than one run.

And it still feels like Little League to me. Ditto the 7 inning games for double headers.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: June 22, 2021, 11:54:22 PM »

I hate the 7 inning dh games but, strangely, don’t mind the runner on second rule.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: June 24, 2021, 12:37:47 AM »

Another sloppy game resulting in a defeat.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: June 24, 2021, 09:55:06 PM »

I really hate listening to Dave, especially during a potential no-no, as the game gets later.

I know he doesn't believe in jinxes, but he really doesn't need to repeat it multiple times during the half-inning that a no-no is in process.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: June 26, 2021, 12:43:00 AM »

A lovely game this evening.

Not tight and that's getting to be a problem. But tension-filled.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: June 26, 2021, 06:24:26 AM »

I absolutely despise the 7 inning Doubleheaders, and the ghost runners in extra innings.

The worst commissioner in baseball used to be Kenesaw Mountain Landis, followed by Bowie Kuhn and then Bud Selig, but Rob "Meddling" Manfred has outdone those them all with his incompetance.

Get him the fuck out.

Time for fans to go to the park and raise their banners that say, "Manfred Must Go!" or "Impeach Manfred!" or whatever.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: June 26, 2021, 01:24:23 PM »

I like seven inning rule.  Other than being a traditionalist, not sure why one would argue.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: June 26, 2021, 02:38:51 PM »

I like seven inning rule.  Other than being a traditionalist, not sure why one would argue.

Why note make all games 7 innings, then.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4646 on: June 26, 2021, 02:41:44 PM »

Why 7? Why not 6 or 8 or 5?

Why not allow a scheduled 7 inning game to be a no-hitter?

Why not change all the games to be 7 innings?

Why shorten it to 7 innings instead of making double headers take 2 strikes for an out and 3 balls for a walk?

Hey, make extra innings have fewer fielders! That will increase the runs, just like running 3 skaters in OT.

Kid, all the rules are based on tradition. Why not ditch any that make the game take longer?

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: June 26, 2021, 03:22:30 PM »

Well, why 9?
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: June 26, 2021, 03:31:46 PM »

Well, why 9?

Because, as Kid pointed out, it's traditional. Get rid of 9 and suddenly a ton of stats are meaningless when applied to a new game.

No idea why they linked the number of players to the number of innings, but they did.
https://www.mlb.com/cut4/stories-behind-baseball-rules-c210241338#:~:text=Sensing%20that%20an%20official%20ruling,Why%20162%20games%3F

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: June 26, 2021, 06:40:33 PM »

Why not allow a scheduled 7 inning game to be a no-hitter?

Why not change all the games to be 7 innings?

Why shorten it to 7 innings instead of making double headers take 2 strikes for an out and 3 balls for a walk?

Hey, make extra innings have fewer fielders! That will increase the runs, just like running 3 skaters in OT.

Kid, all the rules are based on tradition. Why not ditch any that make the game take longer?

You, sir - are a fucking moron.
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 469