Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 295421 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #4680 on: July 01, 2021, 12:30:59 AM »

Ohtani had a very short game today, out before the 1st was over.

That the game went into rain delay in the bottom of the 3rd doesn't change that he gave up 7 runs.

And, of course, left them without a hitter to lead off except with pinch hitters.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: July 01, 2021, 12:32:02 AM »

Today, the Red Sox only had to overcome a 1 run deficit.

Practically a laugher.

Good game for the Bosox. TB had a less good game against the Nationals.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: July 01, 2021, 01:11:10 AM »

Brutal loss in da Bronx.  An all timer kick in the nuts game.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: July 01, 2021, 04:07:24 AM »

Wow!

I'd given up on the game at 8-4.

My mistake.

Is Aaron Boone still managing this team after the All Star break?!

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: July 01, 2021, 09:46:58 AM »

And Ohtani got to rest.....

Nice.  (Not that he helped my fantasy team)

I see Mets blocked the third Atlanta extra point.

Fun times in nonsticky MLB.  What can we do now to curtail hitters?

heh
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: July 01, 2021, 10:06:27 AM »

Wow!

I'd given up on the game at 8-4.

My mistake.

Is Aaron Boone still managing this team after the All Star break?!

Boonie is probably hanging on by a thread.

If the Ys don't show well in the upcoming subway series, (starts tomorrow) Hal may give George a posthumous birthday present on Sunday, which he can add to his collection of fired managers.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: July 01, 2021, 10:09:39 AM »

And what of Cashman?

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: July 01, 2021, 10:14:43 AM »

In Boone's defense, what was he to do?

Walk, FC, walk, walk, grand slam.  With his closer on the hill.  Then he removes Chapman (24 pitches) and it blows up again, starting with another walk.

Juan Lagares buys the beer, having gone 0-2 in one inning.

I'd be interested to hear what Chapman thinks - if he has changed his usage of pine tar/whatever since the new MLB mandate.  Ohtani as well.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: July 01, 2021, 10:20:09 AM »

I think this is all on Cashman. 
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: July 01, 2021, 10:50:36 AM »

In Boone's defense, what was he to do?

I'd be interested to hear what Chapman thinks - if he has changed his usage of pine tar/whatever since the new MLB mandate.  Ohtani as well.

Get Chapman off the field after the third walk. He obviously didn't have it, for whatever reason. From the NYDN:
In his last eight appearances, Chapman has allowed 11 earned runs, three home runs and he has walked eight. In his first 23 appearances, Chapman was practically untouchable, allowing one earned run over 23.1 innings pitched.

I agree with Yank that Cashman's "to blame" for this, though I think more may be on Boone than that suggests.

Same NYDN story:
German has allowed 17 earned runs over 15.1 innings pitched in his last four starts. The slight 28-year-old has racked up 76 innings this season, after having missed the entire 2020 season serving his 81-game suspension under the MLB/MLBPA joint domestic violence policy. Even back in 2019, when German had his breakout 18-win season going until he was suspended, there was concern about his durability. He was gassed in the second half of the season and was being transitioned to the bullpen for the playoffs when he was suspended.

Boone's got to pull the plug on German or something, but he hasn't. And Chapman's performance fits with his other recent work, for all that Boone said he thinks there is no problem there.

The spin rate on Chapman's fastball was down 129 rpm. His fastball velocity was also down 2.3 mph overall. But that wasn't all. The spin rate on Chapman's slider was down 184 rpm. CBS Sports, Jun 11, 2021

As for Ohtani, his ERA the last 4 games before last night was 2.07 and his first game under sticky stuff enforcement looked an awful lot like the three games before it - one or two runs over 5 or 6 innings. A walk or two.  0 or 1 HBP.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: July 01, 2021, 11:16:56 AM »

I think Cashman has generally done a good job in making the Ys competitive for 20+ years. But he's had the advantage of signing big checks that most GMs don't. IMO he's put together a beer league line-up of mashers, who if not hitting dingers, are not all that good at playing baseball.

I thought his one bit of inspired GMing was trading the BP (Miller and Chapman) and restocking the farm

As I recall the idea of firing Girardi, who I thought was a good manager, was for the new guy to be more of a conduit for the thoughts and strategies designed by the GM and the analytical dept. So if we believe that rationale was accurate, Cashman is responsible. 

But Boone is probably more exposed to the whims of Hal, and what to get George for his birthday.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 11:18:57 AM by bankshot1 »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: July 01, 2021, 02:31:36 PM »

I think Cashman has generally done a good job in making the Ys competitive for 20+ years. But he's had the advantage of signing big checks that most GMs don't. IMO he's put together a beer league line-up of mashers, who if not hitting dingers, are not all that good at playing baseball.

I thought his one bit of inspired GMing was trading the BP (Miller and Chapman) and restocking the farm

As I recall the idea of firing Girardi, who I thought was a good manager, was for the new guy to be more of a conduit for the thoughts and strategies designed by the GM and the analytical dept. So if we believe that rationale was accurate, Cashman is responsible. 

But Boone is probably more exposed to the whims of Hal, and what to get George for his birthday.

And Hal has come out in support of "Boony."

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: July 01, 2021, 02:32:44 PM »

https://www.mlb.com/news/celebrate-bobby-bonilla-day-with-mets-airbnb

A unique turn to this Bobby Bonilla Day, announced by the Mets.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: July 01, 2021, 02:52:18 PM »

Get Chapman off the field after the third walk. He obviously didn't have it, for whatever reason.

I wouldn't have

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: July 01, 2021, 03:23:55 PM »

Re-watching Yanks-Angels

Ohtani was fucked by the umpire on 3-2 vs first batter of the game.

Then the guy missed another (I am still watching, at 2-1 Angels)

Has decent stuff.  Location - and some would say selection - not great.  Slider flat a couple times.
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 469