Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 295516 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #5580 on: October 11, 2021, 11:59:26 AM »

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/yasmani-grandal-alds-white-sox-astros/1xpplm2ofwoxs1mlfrebyehkzn

This one is a play regarding umpire's judgment, the same as the non-interference play in the Red Sox/Rays game was. Dusty was sure Grandal was deliberately in the way of the throw.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: October 11, 2021, 03:03:27 PM »

I am very much enjoying listening to Don Orsillo call the Brewers-Braves game.

The game is entertaining, too.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: October 11, 2021, 03:10:17 PM »

So you "understood that yesterday" when you said: "Holy crap that's a horrible call!!!  It's TOTALLY the fault if the Sox player that the ball went out of play. Tampa should play the game under protest from this point on." ?

Yes, I did.

REACTING to a play in the instant that it took place. As no one else here did.

Of course you did.

That's why you said they should play the game under protest.

You are even more illogical than I usually give you credit for.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: October 11, 2021, 03:10:48 PM »

No Astros White Sox game today.

bosox26d

• View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: October 11, 2021, 04:18:52 PM »

Show me where the ball touched you? Okay😂😂😁😁😁😁

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: NLDS!
« Reply #5586 on: October 11, 2021, 06:41:48 PM »

The Brewers are going to have to scramble tomorrow.

The Giants are going to have to scramble tonight.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: October 11, 2021, 07:50:54 PM »

17 pitches!

An amazing at bat from both pitcher and hitter.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: October 11, 2021, 08:14:16 PM »

This inning isn't bad.

A few more like it would be lovely.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: October 11, 2021, 09:45:45 PM »

They're calling for a rewrite!

https://theathletic.com/2881684/2021/10/11/rosenthal-strange-play-in-game-3-of-red-sox-rays-shows-rule-needs-to-be-adjusted/

Some of "they" are calling for a rewrite.

The umpire they quoted likes the rule the way it is - it simplifies his life.

I think this "automatic" double should get a rewrite, too. But I have felt that umpires have been screwing up ground rule doubles for decades, by not exercising their placement options.

And their refusal, the overwhelming bulk of the time, to enforce the HBP rule that allows them to not give the hitter the base has irked me forever, even before some hitters became fully armored - but now?! Wikipedia notes, "If the batter does not attempt to avoid the pitch, he is not awarded first base, and the pitch is ruled either a strike if in the strike zone or a ball if out of the strike zone. Umpires rarely make this call." Perhaps a rewrite to make it a strike or even to have the batter be out would change hitters' conduct.

Some of the unchallengeable plays need to become challengeable.

Getting rid of the 3 batter minimum and limited mound visits rules seems called for, given that this season, the average MLB game took three hours, 10 minutes and seven seconds to play, a new record high with those rules.

And get rid of the runner on 2nd base in extras if it isn't good enough for post season play! Or ditch those two prior rules for post season play, if you are going to make it different, anyway.

Sure, change the pinball rule before next season. I have no objection, but it is hardly the only one that needs some tweaking.

Yes, I agree we should tweak other rules, too, most importantly the DH, which should be either eliminated or put into the NL so that each league plays the same fucking game.

However, to keep to the topic, this rule takes an error by the defense and rewards the defense for that error. That's fundamentally unfair.

What other sport has that kind of thing in place? 

NBA and NFL

NBA A defender gets beat so he grabs a guy to prevent an easy basket. Depending on the foul situation its either side out, or making the offensive player shoot two free throws to get what he likely should have gotten without the foul.

NFL-a cornerback holds a guy who's about to streak by him, for a 5 yard penalty and 1st down rather than give up a bigger play, maybe a TD.

EXCEPT those two examples are intentional fouls, Renfroe committed no foul or error, but merely played the game and the umps called the play as per the rule book. The Rays were unlucky.

Last night I was posting elsewhere with Sox, Tampa and Y fans and not surprisingly many of the Rays supporters called for umpire judgement to send the runner home and place Keirmeier at 3rd. Do we really want judgement calls on whether a guy would have scored from first on a "GR double"?

I also heard new rules written on the fly to fit the preffered outcome.

The rule, benefitted the Sox, but in over 60 years of watching baseball, I never saw that play before. Although I understand a very similar play took place a couple of years ago in Tampa.

And they got the same call the Sox got last night.

Which may explain why Cash wasn't so pissed.

He knew the umps made the right call.

The problem with your NBA and NFL examples is that the defense is still punished, anf not rewarded as Boston was last night.

It's a bad rule.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: October 11, 2021, 09:52:14 PM »

This inning isn't bad.

A few more like it would be lovely.

Well... I asked for more like that.

I should be more careful what I ask for.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: October 11, 2021, 09:54:23 PM »

They're calling for a rewrite!

https://theathletic.com/2881684/2021/10/11/rosenthal-strange-play-in-game-3-of-red-sox-rays-shows-rule-needs-to-be-adjusted/

Some of "they" are calling for a rewrite.

The umpire they quoted likes the rule the way it is - it simplifies his life.

I think this "automatic" double should get a rewrite, too. But I have felt that umpires have been screwing up ground rule doubles for decades, by not exercising their placement options.

And their refusal, the overwhelming bulk of the time, to enforce the HBP rule that allows them to not give the hitter the base has irked me forever, even before some hitters became fully armored - but now?! Wikipedia notes, "If the batter does not attempt to avoid the pitch, he is not awarded first base, and the pitch is ruled either a strike if in the strike zone or a ball if out of the strike zone. Umpires rarely make this call." Perhaps a rewrite to make it a strike or even to have the batter be out would change hitters' conduct.

Some of the unchallengeable plays need to become challengeable.

Getting rid of the 3 batter minimum and limited mound visits rules seems called for, given that this season, the average MLB game took three hours, 10 minutes and seven seconds to play, a new record high with those rules.

And get rid of the runner on 2nd base in extras if it isn't good enough for post season play! Or ditch those two prior rules for post season play, if you are going to make it different, anyway.

Sure, change the pinball rule before next season. I have no objection, but it is hardly the only one that needs some tweaking.

Yes, I agree we should tweak other rules, too, most importantly the DH, which should be either eliminated or put into the NL so that each league plays the same fucking game.

However, to keep to the topic, this rule takes an error by the defense and rewards the defense for that error. That's fundamentally unfair.

What other sport has that kind of thing in place? 

NBA and NFL

NBA A defender gets beat so he grabs a guy to prevent an easy basket. Depending on the foul situation its either side out, or making the offensive player shoot two free throws to get what he likely should have gotten without the foul.

NFL-a cornerback holds a guy who's about to streak by him, for a 5 yard penalty and 1st down rather than give up a bigger play, maybe a TD.

EXCEPT those two examples are intentional fouls, Renfroe committed no foul or error, but merely played the game and the umps called the play as per the rule book. The Rays were unlucky.

Last night I was posting elsewhere with Sox, Tampa and Y fans and not surprisingly many of the Rays supporters called for umpire judgement to send the runner home and place Keirmeier at 3rd. Do we really want judgement calls on whether a guy would have scored from first on a "GR double"?

I also heard new rules written on the fly to fit the preffered outcome.

The rule, benefitted the Sox, but in over 60 years of watching baseball, I never saw that play before. Although I understand a very similar play took place a couple of years ago in Tampa.

And they got the same call the Sox got last night.

Which may explain why Cash wasn't so pissed.

He knew the umps made the right call.

The problem with your NBA and NFL examples is that the defense is still punished, anf not rewarded as Boston was last night.

It's a bad rule.

I gave an example in which being "punished" is what a team wants.

It's still a bad rule, regardless of how it exists in other sports.

And theirs should change, too.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: October 11, 2021, 10:08:02 PM »

Boston has a good chance here to come back and keep from blowing this game.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: October 11, 2021, 10:12:31 PM »

Got it right on that call at third base.
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 469