Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 295680 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #6915 on: August 18, 2022, 12:36:18 AM »

BIG NIGHT, New York.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6916 on: August 18, 2022, 12:04:33 PM »

And if a player gets knocked unconscious on the play, well, that's what they get for putting their head there.

In both plays the runner was safe. In one play, the catcher is uninjured.

I don't know what plays you're looking at, but you're wrong.

The picture you linked ended up with Mays safe, after initially being called out.

Corrales let go of the ball because he was knocked out.

(Original Caption) San Francisco Giant's Willie Mays collides with Phillies Pat Corrales at home plate here, on a play in which Allen threw wild past 1st and Callison retrieved the ball and threw it to the plate. Umpire Augie Donatelli first called Mays out, then reversed call as Corrales who was knocked out on the play dropped the ball.

Perhaps you are thinking of a different play.

I was at the Mays game, He was never called safe. The writer got it wrong.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6918 on: August 18, 2022, 01:21:54 PM »

And if a player gets knocked unconscious on the play, well, that's what they get for putting their head there.

In both plays the runner was safe. In one play, the catcher is uninjured.

I don't know what plays you're looking at, but you're wrong.

The picture you linked ended up with Mays safe, after initially being called out.

Corrales let go of the ball because he was knocked out.

(Original Caption) San Francisco Giant's Willie Mays collides with Phillies Pat Corrales at home plate here, on a play in which Allen threw wild past 1st and Callison retrieved the ball and threw it to the plate. Umpire Augie Donatelli first called Mays out, then reversed call as Corrales who was knocked out on the play dropped the ball.

Perhaps you are thinking of a different play.

I was at the Mays game, He was never called safe. The writer got it wrong.

You may have been there, but it sure looks like your memory is off or you were on an alternate Earth.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/PHI/PHI196507100.shtml

The play-by-play shows Mays as safe, scoring a run on the error by Corrales, with Corrales replaced at Catcher.

Top of the 1st inning; Here's the description from SABR (dot) org:
Corrales was involved in a memorable collision at home plate on July 10. In the first inning of a game at Connie Mack Stadium, the San Francisco Giants' Willie Mays slid into Corrales, who was blocking the plate, knocking Corrales out and gashing Corrales' neck with his spikes. "Mays was the only guy I've ever seen who seemed to be faster sliding than running," said Giants broadcaster Lon Simmons. "That was in Philadelphia and the fans are pretty rough there. Willie stayed down on the ground. He pretended he was hurt, too, so the fans wouldn't get on his case so bad."2 Corrales was removed from the game, and Mays, hurt or not, did not take the field for the bottom of the inning. Corrales was back in action five days later, starting a game at Cincinnati and going 3-for-3.

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/pat-corrales/#:~:text=Corrales%20was%20involved%20in%20a,Corrales'%20neck%20with%20his%20spikes.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 01:27:17 PM by josh »
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6919 on: August 18, 2022, 01:24:18 PM »

Mays got tossed - or was he injured?

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6920 on: August 18, 2022, 01:26:12 PM »

Also -

Outfield assist - Callison (Mays at home plate)
Error - Corrales (4)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6921 on: August 18, 2022, 01:29:00 PM »

Mays got tossed - or was he injured?

He either pretended he was injured or he really was injured - the author on SABR was unsure.

Sorry for the initially partial post - had I done it right, you would have read it to start with!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6922 on: August 18, 2022, 01:37:10 PM »

This is the play described by Arnold Hano:
In Mays' MVP year of 1965, Mays hit Phillies catcher Pat Corrales so hard on a play at the plate that they both ended up in the hospital... Mays had a seriously bruised hip, and Corrales had a mild concussion. (He was taken off the field on a stretcher). Gene Mauch said after the game "The guy comes into home four feet in the air, kicks my catcher in the face, and still manages to touch home plate. He'll end up limping to the Hall of Fame."

Corrales said (from his hospital bed) ... "It was a clean play... but I've never been hit so hard in my life"

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6924 on: August 18, 2022, 10:01:12 PM »

The Red Sox looked flat. Their starter looked like the rookie he is.

Only consolation, at the moment, is that the Yankees are losing about as badly, but taking longer to do it.

But after last night, "at the moment" is an important distinction.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #6925 on: August 18, 2022, 10:23:12 PM »

Why would the Yankees losing be a "consolation" to the Red Sox?  The team beating them gained ground on the Sox and the Red Sox should be more worried about Toronto than the Yankees..  I'd say the Red Sox' consolation would be the Orioles losing. Fourth place is still in sight!!!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 10:26:38 PM by Yankguy1 »
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6926 on: August 18, 2022, 10:33:12 PM »

Why would the Yankees losing be a "consolation" to the Red Sox?  The team beating them gained ground on the Sox and the Red Sox should be more worried about Toronto than the Yankees..  I'd say the Red Sox' consolation would be the Orioles losing. Fourth place is still in sight!!!

A friend of mine wrote tonight (and previously):

paraphrasing my father, "I don't care who wins as long as the Yankees lose"

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6927 on: August 18, 2022, 11:43:03 PM »

BIG NIGHT, New York.

What a difference a day makes

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6928 on: August 19, 2022, 05:45:26 PM »

This week, the Baltimore Orioles passed the LA Dodgers for 7th place all time!

And there is a good chance that before the season is out, Arizona will finally pass Tampa Bay.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6929 on: August 19, 2022, 10:26:37 PM »

Yankees' lead is down to 8 games.

Sox and Os have 18 hits apiece after 7.5 innings. 15-10 for the Orioles. No 1-2-3 innings, yet.
Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 469