Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 2349 2350 [2351] 2352 2353 ... 2731

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 503459 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #35250 on: July 06, 2023, 07:06:14 PM »

You really need to buy a dictionary.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #35251 on: July 06, 2023, 07:22:08 PM »

You really need to buy a dictionary.
By the way do you have permission to re publish Van Morrison lyrics?

https://www.vanmorrison.com/terms-conditions

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #35252 on: July 06, 2023, 07:46:27 PM »

Though I'm not an intellectual property lawyer, my use of Morrison's lyrics comes under the "Fair Use" doctrine, something that I'm sure a person of your legal training and scholarship would be fully aware of.  I took nothing from the site you linked to.

In any event, I've credited Morrison for his work and have not passed his brilliant lyrics off as my own. That you fail to understand that it's passing other's thoughts and words off as your own, lying, not to put too fine a point on it, is the crux of your idiocy.  I don't know why you're so afraid to credit the creators of the thoughts and words you take.  Are you afraid we won't respect your wisdom?

But feel free to keep playing your "gotcha" and "what about?" games.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 07:51:32 PM by Yankguy1 »
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #35253 on: July 06, 2023, 08:29:45 PM »

Though I'm not an intellectual property lawyer, my use of Morrison's lyrics comes under the "Fair Use" doctrine, something that I'm sure a person of your legal training and scholarship would be fully aware of.  I took nothing from the site you linked to.

In any event, I've credited Morrison for his work and have not passed his brilliant lyrics off as my own. That you fail to understand that it's passing other's thoughts and words off as your own, lying, not to put too fine a point on it, is the crux of your idiocy.  I don't know why you're so afraid to credit the creators of the thoughts and words you take.  Are you afraid we won't respect your wisdom?

But feel free to keep playing your "gotcha" and "what about?" games.
Fair use. Same thing I do. But there are no  restraints on how i display my thoughts on a discussion page made up by anonymous  contributors. What i post is meant to elicit responses.
The fact you would rather call me a thief than respond is clear you cant respond on the merits of the debate.
BTW a thief is a criminal.
Posting thoughts, however arrived at, is not illegal nor even plagarism. 
You can respond to thoughts you disagree with with your thoughts if you have rebuttal.
Why dont you?

« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 08:31:55 PM by Espnthree »

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #35254 on: July 06, 2023, 08:49:24 PM »

Biden didn't try to create a new law.  He asked the Secretary to do what secretaries can do and have done, which is modify or waive parts of existing regulatory legislation , in response to emergencies and special cases of widespread hardship. 

If you want to argue an exception to that procedure of the Secretary, then do so in your own words, pal.  But waving your hands at SCOTUS and making up shit about Biden is not argument. 

A few posts later...

Quite the contrary.
It is the Whole argument.
See Nancy Pelosi.
Or
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/22pdf/22-506_nmip.pdf
Please take notes.

Then, a few posts later you instruct Yank....

Quote from: Espnthree

You can respond to thoughts you disagree with with your thoughts if you have rebuttal.
Why dont you?

« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 08:52:03 PM by Oilcan »
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #35255 on: July 06, 2023, 08:49:49 PM »

Posting other people's exact and original words, without crediting them, something you do consistently, is the textbook definition of plagiarism.  That you somehow think you're merely posting thoughts is laughable.  You're right, though.  It's not criminal.  Neither is being an asshole.

I could easily respond "on the merits of the debate".  Doing so would only encourage you and I want no part of that.  I've said all along that I wished you posted somewhere else.  Debating you keeps you here.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #35256 on: July 06, 2023, 09:09:46 PM »

Posting other people's exact and original words, without crediting them, something you do consistently, is the textbook definition of plagarism.
Even if it was( which is not what I do) it it not the definition if plagiarism
That you somehow think you're merely posting thoughts is laughable.  You're right, though.  It's not criminal.  Neither is being an asshole.

I could easily respond "on the merits of the debate".  Doing so would only encourage you and I want no part of that.  I've said all along that I wished you posted somewhere else.  Debating you keeps you here.
So your goal is cheap insults to those you disagree with. The last thing you want to do s actually defend your opinions.
And I need a dictionary to define Nihilism?
No

All I need are your posts.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 09:12:55 PM by Espnthree »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #35257 on: July 06, 2023, 09:14:09 PM »

Go post somewhere else.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #35258 on: July 06, 2023, 09:47:22 PM »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35259 on: July 06, 2023, 09:48:06 PM »

The back and forth is pretty interesting. The thing that stood out is that Red gets fleeced by nitwits every time he goes to steal an idea. It makes me think his belief in right wing economic policies is sincere. If he is willing to fuck himself personally to just to be a bigger fool why would he not want similar treatment for everyone as an institutional policy?
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #35260 on: July 06, 2023, 09:49:13 PM »

Do not go anywhere Red. You are the most grotesque freak imaginable. Stay where I can continue to appreciate you.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #35261 on: July 06, 2023, 10:25:17 PM »

I am posting the entire opinion from a guest writer at the Wall Street Journal on Wednesday.
You are free to comment

The Justice Jackson Incredible Statistic
Her dissent from the ruling on affirmative action makes an obviously implausible claim.

By Ted Frank
July 5, 2023 at 6:12 pm ET

Even Supreme Court justices are known to be gullible. In a dissent from its ruling against racial preferences in college admissions, Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson enumerated purported benefits of diversity in education.
It saves lives
she asserts. For high-risk Black newborns, having a Black physician more than doubles the likelihood that the baby will live.

A moment of  thought should be enough to realize that this claim is wildly implausible.
Imagine if 40% of black newborns died, thousands of dead infants every week. But even so, that is  a 60% survival rate, which is mathematically impossible to double.
And the actual survival rate is over 99%.

How could Justice Jackson make such an innumerate mistake? A footnote cites a friend of the court brief by the Association of American Medical Colleges, which makes the same claim in almost identical language. It, in turn, refers to a 2020 study whose lead author is Brad Greenwood, a professor at the George Mason University School of Business.

The study makes no such claims.
 It examines mortality rates in Florida newborns between 1992 and 2015 and shows a 0.13% to 0.2% improvement in survival rates for black newborns with black pediatricians (though no statistically significant improvement for black obstetricians).

The AAMC brief either misunderstood the paper or invented the statistic. (It is not saved by the adjective high risk, which does not appear and is not measured in the Greenwood paper.)

Even the much more modest Greenwood result which amounts to a difference of fewer than 10 Florida newborns a year is flawed. It uses linear regression, appropriate for modeling continuous normally distributed variables like height or LSAT scores but not for categorical low probability events like  newborn death.
The proper methodology would be a logistic model. The authors did one, hidden deep in an appendix rather than the body of the paper.

There, the most highly specified model still shows an improvement in black newborn survival. But if you know how to read the numbers, the authors do not say it, it also shows black doctors with a statistically significant higher mortality rate for white newborns, and a higher mortality rate overall, all else being equal.

So we have a Supreme Court justice parroting a mathematically absurd claim coming from an interested party mischaracterization of a flawed study. Her opinion then urges all of us to do what evidence and experts tell us is required to level the playing field and march forward together.

Instead we should watch where we are going.

Mr. Frank is a senior attorney with the Hamilton Lincoln Law Institute, which filed an amicus brief in support of the petitioners in SFFA v. Harvard.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 10:26:49 PM by Espnthree »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #35262 on: July 06, 2023, 10:39:13 PM »

There are plenty of other slugs down in the piss pot with you. You are not alone. You are dead wrong and disgusting, but we all know you are not alone.

You are an asshole hiding behind an idiot hiding behind a moron. Everyone still knows you have made a mess in your pants.

Now you cannot complain that no one takes the time to address your arguments on their merits.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #35263 on: July 07, 2023, 02:21:56 AM »

http://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/07/06/trump-trial-poll-ipsos-00104772

Short rope and a long drop works best. Get the mess cleaned up and boxed away by Christmas.

Richard P. Feynman

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #35264 on: July 07, 2023, 08:45:20 AM »

I am posting the entire opinion from a guest writer at the Wall Street Journal on Wednesday.
You are free to comment

The statistical analysis in the article is correct.  Jackson quoted a mathematically flawed claim.  All of which is irrelevant to the larger public good that derives from having more Black physicians.  Which is explained, with more accurate math, here:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/21/health/black-doctors-shortage-us/index.html
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.
Pages: 1 ... 2349 2350 [2351] 2352 2353 ... 2731