Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 2705

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 497030 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Biden Administration
« on: November 27, 2020, 02:33:47 AM »

What observations do you have to make about the Biden/Harris Administration? What questions do you have to ask?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

barton

Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 02:57:49 PM »

Can we still own sofas made entirely out of meat?   

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 03:56:01 PM »

Joe is off to a good start with his cabinet picks.

This won't make it an easier a beginning for his Admin: https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2020/1127/Iranian-scientist-killed-adding-a-challenge-for-Biden
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 05:58:11 PM »

Mr. Trump arguably lost more because of his often divisive and norm-breaking behavior than his specific policies (his coronavirus response was an exception). While the modern nationalist movement has lost its most prominent leader, it remains a force abroad.

Since 2016, right-wing nationalists have been re-elected in Hungary, Poland and India and taken office in Brazil. British Prime Minister Boris Johnson won a resounding majority by promising Britain would leave the European Union, which it has. True, support for right-wing anti-immigration parties in Western Europe has plateaued, but that’s partly because centrist ruling parties have themselves taken a tougher line on border controls and refugees.

On immigration, trade and climate change, President-elect Joe Biden has promised a course correction that moves the U.S. back toward openness to and engagement with the world. But how he does so will determine whether he soothes or aggravates the backlash that helped elect Mr. Trump four years ago.

Very true. From https://www.wsj.com/articles/biden-beware-the-nationalist-moment-hasnt-passed-11605112395
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 12:04:15 AM »

I just hope Joe Biden tries to help a majority of the people.  Speak to the majority.   His recent messages about illegal immigrants being given a path to citizenship and in support of trans rights are worthy and good.  But I find myself wanting him to speak to a broader base of the populace.  You can help the smaller voices out better when you're more established.  Don't turn off your supporters by seeking to broaden the tent.  Speak to those in the tent first.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 02:01:58 AM »

I think it makes sense to wait till there’s an outcome in the Georgia runoff and more of the administration staff are locked in and appointments requiring confirmation are lined up before unveiling how he’ll proceed with the core of his program. I’m sure they’ve gamed out rollouts depending on how different outcomes effect the composition of the senate.

Fortunately, the vivisection of diaper don, his family, and his organization are all in the hands of the NYS and NYC AGs both of whom would gain great public esteem by pounding everything trump into a soupy chunder that all the kings horses and all the kings men won’t be able to prevent running into the drains like the residue of New Years in Times Square during a non-plague year.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Richard P. Feynman

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 04:49:23 PM »

Blaming Whitey for being stupid: https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-11-29/coronavirus-vaccine-covid-black-doctors-nurses-racism-healthcare

Vaccines are racist, apparently.

Then, when you fucking die, it won't be your responsibility, as if it ever is.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 11:04:05 PM »

Blaming Whitey for being stupid: https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-11-29/coronavirus-vaccine-covid-black-doctors-nurses-racism-healthcare

Thanks for posting the article.  I read it and thought it was thought-provoking.  But it didn't provoke the thoughts in me that it did in you. I think you must not have read it.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 11:38:00 AM »

Thanks for posting the article.  I read it and thought it was thought-provoking.  But it didn't provoke the thoughts in me that it did in you. I think you must not have read it.

You can not complain that your community is being ignored and reject the offer of saving it at the same time.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2020, 11:41:18 AM »

President-elect Joe Biden has chosen Brian Deese, a former adviser to Barack Obama, to be the director of the National Economic Council, according to people familiar with the matter.

In his new post, which doesn’t require Senate confirmation, Mr. Deese will play a lead role in implementing Mr. Biden’s economic agenda, with a focus on rebuilding the economy amid a pandemic that has devastated many U.S. businesses and resulted in millions of lost jobs.

Mr. Deese served in multiple senior White House roles during the Obama administration. After working on Mr. Obama’s 2008 campaign, he joined Mr. Obama’s National Economic Council, eventually rising to deputy director. He then served as deputy director of the White House Office of Management and Budget. He was later promoted to senior adviser to the president, a position that focused in part on climate change and energy issues. He played a central role in negotiating the international climate-change agreement that was reached in Paris in 2015.

wsj.com

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2020, 11:53:33 AM »

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/live-updates/coronavirus/?id=74456908&cid=clicksource_4380645_4_three_posts_card_hed

Rhode Island entered a two-week pause Monday, shuttering bars, gyms, movie theaters, bowling allies and indoor sporting facilities. But unlike in many other states, schools will remain open.

"We've really got to shut it down for those two weeks," Gov. Gina Raimondo said at a Nov. 19 press conference. "Because if we do, we can slowly crank up after those two weeks and make it through the end of the year."

The Ocean State may have it right.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 06:38:59 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

barton

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2020, 06:25:14 PM »

The usual tensions between free marketeers and public policies with specific carbon goals....

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-climatechange-republican-states-idUSKBN28C1NK

I just hope everyone can realize the quality of jobs generated by establishing new alternative energy infrastructure, as well as the huge benefits to the environment.   I hope Joe can bridge the divide on this.   
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 2705