Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 295877 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #6255 on: November 21, 2021, 04:50:09 PM »

Re:  Minoso, Oliva

Well, you just know it (HOF entry) is going to become a diversity thing - as everything.

Especialy with a select group of voters, easy to see this occurring.

I remember as a kid of about 10-12 or so, reading a Sport magazine article about the fiery and temperamental Latin players and the challenge they would have to successfully adapt to life in MLB. And that the challenges to communicate in English and other cultural reasons could hinder their advances playing the game. (ie they were a headache). I thought it was fucked up then, but it was in a leading sports magazine so...

I wonder how many white BBWAA writers WBW who could not communicate with Latin American players or didn't give a fuck if they could, never gave them the respect or credit they deserved, including HoF recognition.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #6256 on: November 22, 2021, 10:52:45 AM »

Sox pick up option for Alex Cora for the '23 and '24 seasons.

Kid is expected to exercise his option on "Joey" for the foreseeable future.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6257 on: November 22, 2021, 12:22:36 PM »

I wonder how many white BBWAA writers WBW who could not communicate with Latin American players or didn't give a fuck if they could, never gave them the respect or credit they deserved, including HoF recognition.

Who would be the poster child for this?  Minnie Minoso?  Really?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6258 on: November 22, 2021, 02:22:49 PM »

Roberto Clemente spoke to this issue of dealing with reporters and the language barrier.

Interestingly, Jackie Robinson kept Clemente from becoming a Dodger:

https://remezcla.com/sports/the-racist-history-behind-roberto-clementes-transition-from-the-dodgers-to-the-pirates/

In terms of his societal impact on the game, I'd rank Clemente ahead of Robinson, in many ways.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #6259 on: November 22, 2021, 03:22:00 PM »

I'm suggesting Minoso was good, and his stats and career are HoF worthy (borderline/leaning in) but a I imagine being the 1st dark-skinned Latin player (Cuban) to play in MLB since MLB segregated players, might have been a challenge in 1949 when the Indians signed him. And I'm guessing his English might have been a little rough. So his ability to connect with the writers, you know have a drink or two at the bar, go out to dinner, share a dirty joke, may have been somewhat compromised.

But he was the first and followed by Cepeda, Clemente, Pinson, Marichal and others.

IMO there should be a place in the Hall of Fame for Minoso and his role in MLB history. 

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #6260 on: November 22, 2021, 04:20:47 PM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #6261 on: November 22, 2021, 04:52:37 PM »

Known PED users A-Rod and Ortiz on the HOF ballot.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32691595/david-ortiz-alex-rodriguez-13-first-rs-hall-fame-ballot

Jimmy Rollins on the ballot, too, and his stats indicate that he should be a first ballot HOFer.

Ryan Howard on the ballot, but I think he's just short of the Hall.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 05:01:12 PM by Hamilton Samuels »

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
Amazingly Stupid!
« Reply #6262 on: November 22, 2021, 05:05:17 PM »

Keith Hernandez is officially a dolt (not adult!). Too much coke back in the day, Keith?

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/keith-hernandez-robert-kennedy-jr-anti-vaccine-book-twitter-mets-01fmwz0mr2ga

Maybe avoid sending condolences to Doug Jones's family, Keith, you fucking moron.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6263 on: November 22, 2021, 05:13:50 PM »

Curt Schilling
Hall of Fame 2022

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6264 on: November 22, 2021, 07:01:07 PM »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6265 on: November 22, 2021, 08:16:41 PM »

The Mets, Phillies and Marlins are all showing interest in Marte, according to multiple tweets from MLB Network insider Jon Heyman over the past two days.

Play with Bryce of play with You Found Nimmo?

Easy call.

https://twitter.com/you_found_nimmo

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #6266 on: November 22, 2021, 10:58:12 PM »

Curt Schilling
Hall of Fame 2022

Fuck that fascist!

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6267 on: November 23, 2021, 09:07:39 AM »

Known PED users A-Rod and Ortiz on the HOF ballot.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32691595/david-ortiz-alex-rodriguez-13-first-rs-hall-fame-ballot

Jimmy Rollins on the ballot, too, and his stats indicate that he should be a first ballot HOFer.
I realize you are Philadelphia uber alles but his stats are far below Alan Trammell's, and it took a committee to get him in. Rollins's biggest claim to fame is being able to stick Philly as long as he did.
Sam: Those sons of bitches, they got him right through the neck.

Suzy: Was he a good dog?

Sam: Who's to say? But he didn't deserve to die.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6268 on: November 23, 2021, 09:11:31 AM »

Roberto Clemente spoke to this issue of dealing with reporters and the language barrier.

https://remezcla.com/sports/the-racist-history-behind-roberto-clementes-transition-from-the-dodgers-to-the-pirates/

In terms of his societal impact on the game, I'd rank Clemente ahead of Robinson, in many ways.
Your take on the Dodgers allegedly having a quota on minorities would be to blame the black guy. Great take, Forrest.
Sam: Those sons of bitches, they got him right through the neck.

Suzy: Was he a good dog?

Sam: Who's to say? But he didn't deserve to die.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #6269 on: November 23, 2021, 02:17:44 PM »

Your take on the Dodgers allegedly having a quota on minorities would be to blame the black guy. Great take, Forrest.

Looks like you didn't read the whole piece.

Typical.
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 469