Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 1849

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 933267 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #4635 on: February 26, 2019, 09:41:34 PM »

#1 finishing off the win.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: February 26, 2019, 09:43:13 PM »

Insane statline for Mitchell.

Not bad for Mr Ellenson either
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 09:45:04 PM by kiidcarter8 »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: February 26, 2019, 10:18:13 PM »

Locking up Ellison cheaps would be a good idea. Aside from how he clicked with Mitch and passed generally, he also looked good with Kornet in a legit 5 out that provided some actual size and protection up front.

Mitch Kornet
Ellison
Knox Frank
Dot Trier Jenkins
Smith

If we’re not landing the biggest possible fishes, keeping Mudiay and Vonleh are also good ideas if they come at reasonable salary numbers.

It’s fun to watch a little winning now and then.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: February 26, 2019, 11:12:26 PM »

I keep seeing:

LeBron James passed Andre Miller tonight for 10th on the all-time in assists list with 8,525 and counting. He is the only player in league history to rank in the top 10 in both assists and scoring

I imagine this is just poor phrasing/writing.  Because I'm certain Oscar Robertson was Top 10 soring and assists when he retired in the early 70's.  What I assume they meant is that LeBJ is the only one currently in the top 10 in both categories.  Hell, today, The Big O is 6th in Assists and 12th in Scoring 45 years later.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 05:42:45 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: February 26, 2019, 11:35:46 PM »

uh.....right

Ralph Beard and Dolph Schayes were also top ten in both after the 49-50 season

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: February 27, 2019, 05:48:41 AM »

The "only player in league history" sounds like it's never been done before.  And your examples prove how dumb that is.

LeBJ is the only player in the Top 10 in both Career Scoring and Assists.

Actually the past decade plus there are frequent errors, poor writing and typos throughout media because the business model is collapsing and the first things they chintz on are copywriters and editors. 

And while it is undoubtedly an accomplishment, passing Andre Miller for 10th most assists makes it sound less impressive.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 05:50:28 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
Dr. Ho
« Reply #4641 on: February 27, 2019, 05:59:28 AM »

Jeez, prior to the Knick game replay, they present a show about shitting.  Cleanse, detox . . .  It's time to go with Dr. Ho.
And by go they mean empty your bowels thoroughly.  Yuck.

Who the hell watches a show about pooping to improve your health?
Who buys such a thing?
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: February 27, 2019, 01:00:57 PM »

Magic had been playing well and got off to a good start.  But they played poorly in the 4Q.  I guess that's part of lacking a PG.

Mud might have finished, but he was rather messy.  One possession around the 6 min mark, Muddy started to lose his dribble, recovered and passed off, got the ball back and tried to lose his dribble again.  he got called for a charge when he used his favorite shoulder-push-off to clear space int he paint.  Had a rim shot blocked.  Clanked a 3.

Granted he was better than Jr Smitty who had a poor game and displayed really bad defensive instincts.  He likes to gamble on D, and frequently has no idea where to switch.  I haven't seen much lately, but Smith was mostly a mess on both ends.

The comeback hero might have been Trier who forced the issue, had one sweet whirligig layup and forced fouls on ORL.

Hellenson played a solid game.  He's a little jittery like the game hasn't slowed down yet, but he was active, hit the floor once, and canned the biggest shot. 

Knox.  <sigh>  He played hard but just wasn't able to do anything.  He needs to go up strong near the rim.  He plays smaller than his size the way he crouches and doesn't take advantage of his athleticism.  Some muscle will help, but you need to go up strong and confident.  Force contact and make the refs blow their whistle if need be. 

Mitch was pretty great.  17 & 14 with 6 Blocks and 8 O-boards.
Besides the half-dozen blocks there were a few intimidations.  Once Fournier drove, saw the Mitch-switch and he became uncertain and just lost his dribble out of bounds.

Knick management should be thinking of having Mitch and Knox long term, 10 year Knix.  Now that might not be possible, but that should be the thinking.  We need to develop players, keep them around, let fans watch them grow and root them. 

Continuity is a good thing.  As far as I can tell, there are only two players -- Franc and Lance -- left from last year's opening day roster. And they are both bench guys this year.
I saw DeAndretheGiant clapping for Ellenson, and I was wondering if he even knew Ellensons' first name ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: February 27, 2019, 01:30:39 PM »

Mitch was pretty great.  17 & 14 with 6 Blocks and 8 O-boards.
Besides the half-dozen blocks there were a few intimidations.  Once Fournier drove, saw the Mitch-switch and he became uncertain and just lost his dribble out of bounds.

Knick management should be thinking of having Mitch and Knox long term, 10 year Knix.  Now that might not be possible, but that should be the thinking.  We need to develop players, keep them around, let fans watch them grow and root them. 

Continuity is a good thing.  As far as I can tell, there are only two players -- Franc and Lance -- left from last year's opening day roster. And they are both bench guys this year.
I saw DeAndretheGiant clapping for Ellenson, and I was wondering if he even knew Ellensons' first name ...

DeAndre clapping for Henry .... who would've predicted that three weeks ago?

Mitch Robinson is the feel-good story of the Knicks season.   Knox has performed like a mid to late lottery pick.   Trier has shown he should've been drafted.  Happy for him that he got a contract.   But Mitch... Mitch is playing these days like he should have gone twenty to thirty spots higher.

He is already an elite defensive force.  I don't even call him a rim-protector anymore because last night he blocked three jumpers (three-point shots!)  and Breen remarked how he had never seen that before.    Blocks shots, changes other shots,  covers more space laterally to close on shooters.... this guy defends in and out of his area, cleaning up his teammates mistakes.   You can afford a sieve at PG if you have a backline like Mitch.

Offensively.... he has no game outside three feet.  BUT the game he has is very efficient and effective.  You don't NEED to run plays for him but you SHOULD throw him at least 5 LOBS a game.   The pick and roll is the Wildcat offense of the NBA.  The quarterback of the team, our PG, takes a pick and slashes rimward, when the defense reacts he has the option to lob the ball to a head-full-of-steam Robinson grabbing the ball at 13-14 feet in midair and cradling it downward to the basket and through the net.  I recall early in the season bemoaning the fact that we never ran any lobs off the pick and roll and that was why Mitch was only scoring three points a game back then.   

He should be a ten year knick.  He will be an All-Star if he develops a bit of an offensive repertoire.  But i look at Rudy Gobert and I see no reason Mitch can't be better.

I like that we've lined up guys on two year deals like Jenkins and Trier so that we are ready to keep their small cap holds in the offseason while chasing big free agents.   It seems like there was some backdoor wink wink dealings with Durants agents (Rich Kleinmann?) and PerryMills were given some certified information such that they KNOW FOR SURE that they're only in the DURANT game if they also open up Cap-space for his plus+ONE.

It is still not a guarantee that he comes and frankly... i might not want his plus+ONE.   Reminds me of when we had to eat Penny's deal to take Stephon Marbury.  So if Durant doesn't come.... i'm fine with the team we have assembled as the one that we move forward with, building around the pieces acquired from the last two drafts (Mitch, ZO, Knox, Frank, DSJ, Dot) and the G-leaguers (Jenk, Ellen)  perhaps a re-signed DJ (one year above-market deal to preserve cap space) and Vonleh.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 01:41:10 PM by Kam »
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: February 27, 2019, 02:23:13 PM »

a business dispute between Clippers owner Steve Ballmer and New York Knicks owner James Dolan has turned nasty and will probably result in a legal fight that could interfere with NBA business.

Dolan owns the Forum in Inglewood, California, a building the Madison Square Garden Company spent $100 million renovating to make a first-class concert venue. Ballmer has his own deal with the city of Inglewood to develop a new arena for the Clippers to move to, essentially across the street from the Forum, when their Staples Center lease ends. As you might imagine, MSG and Dolan aren't thrilled with this development.

The issue is MSG used to control the land via a lease to be used for overflow parking. But the company gave up the lease when the city indicated it wanted to build a technology park there. When Ballmer showed up in Inglewood to announce his glorious new home for the Clippers, Dolan was, um, furious. He sued.

According to sealed documents and emails from the case that were unearthed by the Los Angeles Times last week, .the mayor of Inglewood and Ballmer were working together for months to plan the arena while taking steps to hide their plans from Dolan so MSG would be willing to give up the lease on the land

It would probably benefit the NBA for the Clippers to have their own facility. Their unfavorable lease with Staples Center sees them earn more than $20 million less than the co-tenant Lakers in annual arena income. But the Clippers' current arena plan sure wouldn't benefit Dolan or the Forum.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: February 28, 2019, 05:05:20 AM »

That’s great. Let’s hope Dolan keeps all the focus of his ownership influence on the west coast.

I’m going to start trying to catch more Grizzlies games. Bradley and Wright are a nice compliment to Conely. JV is no Marc, but he’s a bit of a beast in his own right. Noah is even finding his game again there. It seems fun.

DWade is going out in style.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Warriors Durant jersey discounted 75%
« Reply #4646 on: February 28, 2019, 10:31:46 AM »

Kevin Durant Warriors jerseys now 75 percent off as Knicks rumors grow originally appeared on nbcsportsbayarea.com

Does Nike know something we don't know?

Kevin Durant jerseys now are 75 percent off. That's a big sale for a superstar who recently won his second NBA All-Star Game MVP and is looking to claim a third consecutive NBA Finals MVP in the next few months.

All anyone can talk about with Durant is speculation on where he will play next. And for good reason. Durant went on a nine-day silence with the media following the Knicks' trade of Kristaps Porzingis, and now it's been reported Porzingis wasn't too high on possibly playing with Durant.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 10:41:12 AM by Kam »

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: February 28, 2019, 10:43:54 AM »

Bottom line:  Knick FO had to know that the Knick fans reaction to the trade would be massively unfavorable. 

So you only do such a thing if you:

A) Are crazy/hate NYC/are ready to get fired
B) Know something

Game theory suggests that the Knicks know something

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: February 28, 2019, 10:44:30 AM »

And yes - I am concerned about a tampering charge coming if we sign KD.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
KP didn't want to play with KD
« Reply #4649 on: February 28, 2019, 10:56:34 AM »

Knicks reporter, Ian Begley.

"There is the possibility that they (the Knicks) got the sense that he wasn't psyched of how aggressively they were going to court bigger names than him. That's possible.

"I'm confident after talking to a lot of people -- I don't think he was psyched about playing with Durant. I don't know how directly that was verbalized to the Knicks. I'm confident that it wasn't something that was like his Plan A he was super thrilled about it.

"He wanted to be the face of the franchise. I think that's known, that's fair. Kevin Durant will be the face of the franchise if he comes. That's it. That's decided.

"There are other guys who for various reasons I don't think would be the face of the franchise. Kemba Walker would not be. You could argue Kyrie Irving would not be if he were here with Porzingis. It would be close."

First and foremost, it needs to be made clear to everybody that Lowe is not specifically reporting that sources told him Porzingis flat out didn't want to play with KD. So don't get that twisted.

However, Lowe is as connected as it gets and he wouldn't just say something like this unless there was some degree of truth. His assertion is obviously newsworthy because of the connections between the reigning two-time Finals MVP and the Knicks.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 10:58:18 AM by Kam »
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 1849