Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 53

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 45016 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #510 on: September 13, 2022, 01:09:09 PM »

Goddard kicked the bucket. And I tried to choose a phrase that embraced agency in the event.

I loved Breathless - which in France for some reason is About a souffle, for some reason. I do not recall even seeing a souffle in it. False advertising, like with Snatch.

I expect that joke to fall flat.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Holly Martins

« Reply #511 on: September 13, 2022, 08:15:28 PM »

It had a familiar meringue to it!

Never saw The last of Sheila.  Which Rian J said inspired him to KO.  Looking it up.

Holly Martins

« Reply #512 on: September 13, 2022, 08:16:42 PM »

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 14, 2022, 12:06:09 AM »

It had a familiar meringue to it!

Never saw The last of Sheila.  Which Rian J said inspired him to KO.  Looking it up.
An interesting written by credit.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Holly Martins

« Reply #514 on: September 14, 2022, 12:03:55 PM »

Yeah.  Didn't know about Sondheim's work away from Broadway. 

Another thought on "Breathless."  It's a terrible translation of the French phrase which means literally "At the end of breath*," which becomes a double-entendre because it can mean both "out of breath" and "taking one's last breath." 

* "A bout de temps" for example, means "At the end of time."  It does not means "About the temperatures."

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 14, 2022, 03:00:14 PM »

Yeah.  Didn't know about Sondheim's work away from Broadway. 

Also Norman Bates. Apparently it grew out of one of their party games.

Holly Martins

« Reply #516 on: September 15, 2022, 12:49:03 PM »

Bit of a swerve, but rewatched Lost Highway, after nearly 25 years, and still found it a pretentiously arty and incoherent piece of pseudo-noir crap.  I'm reminded of Robert Blake in an interview saying basically, "I never had any idea what the script was about."  You have plenty of company, Robert.  There is the feeling that David Lynch is, again, showing us some of the weird obsessive topography of his subconscious without bothering to make any of it....conscious.  There is no real engagement with any of the characters or whatever point there might be to them.  No light is cast, just alienated shadows.  Not even Patti Arquette, at her most sexy (arguably owner at the time of the world's prettiest mouth), can find some consistent thread of meaning or personality that might suggest why she finds herself in the bizarre relationships she does, let alone determining if Bill Pullman and Balthasar Getty are the same person in different universes or timelines or some surreal Mobius strip that is taped together at the line "Dick Laurent is dead." 

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 29, 2022, 01:06:55 PM »

"I Came By," a British Netflix film, has some nice Hitchcockian touches and white-knuckle suspense beats, but hurries through its story issues in order to fit it all into a film.  Maybe a four-part limited series would have allowed space to develop the characters a bit more.  I tend to associate Hugh Bonneville with fairly benign characters, so it was an interesting shift  to see him explore the darkness.  A couple parallels with "Rear Window" serve to make clear the debt to Hitchcock, and also how problematic the pacing was. 
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 03, 2022, 12:52:05 PM »

"Father Stu" lets Mark Wahlberg shine as an uncouth roughneck who becomes a Catholic priest.  It's your standard diamond in the rough movie, but with an interesting angle, and exploration of the intersection of religion and the individual spiritual journey.  Mel Gibson, as the father (of Wahlberg), appears to draw on his own offscreen stumbles and struggle for redemption, to show us a man burdened with guilt and pain.   

I suspect the Academy will like Wahlberg enough for a nomination, and his infirmity in the final act (a neurological disease similar to Gehrig's) might push some inclusiveness buttons with members.
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Holly Martins

« Reply #519 on: October 09, 2022, 11:25:22 AM »

Another film in the false imprisonment in a home dungeon genre is "Inheritance," with Simon Pegg and Lily Collins.  Unconvincing and with poorly drawn characters (except Pegg, who is a fine actor that can make cheese interesting), it made me want to watch The Secret in their Eyes, the masterful and mesmerizing Argentine film which "Inheritance" borrows from, again.  (The American remake, also titled TSitE, was skippable)

ETA - it's never a good sign when you start rooting for the psychopath.  And Lily Collins is simply miscast as the Manhattan DA. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 11:28:57 AM by Bart »

Holly Martins

« Reply #520 on: October 11, 2022, 12:25:32 AM »

Finally saw Der Urlaub von Herr Bohne.  Atkinson really spreads his Keatonesque wings and takes flight.  Also liked the Willem Dafoe movie-within-a-movie, "Playback Time," and the general level of disrespect that is shown to the pretenses of Cannes.  Throw in Madame Butterfly, a chicken pursuit, and relentless chaos and hazard through which some unfathomable God watches over Bean and cherishes his unhinged joie de vivre.

A little sad because, next viewing, I won't quite recapture the helpless laughter and wiping of eyes that the first one delivered.  I'm sure there's a line in Playback Time that captures this bittersweet feeling...

What is life but a teardrop in the eye of infinity?   

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 11, 2022, 03:32:54 PM »

RIP to Mrs. Johnny Iselin, one.of the greatest villains in movie history.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p3ZnaRMhD_A

Holly Martins

« Reply #522 on: October 11, 2022, 08:20:14 PM »

Angela Lansbury is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being....

Age 96 seems to be a tough year for outstanding British women.  First, Liz Windsor, now AL.

And let me be clear on one thing:. Fuck the Academy.  Lansbury earned that Oscar, and giving it to Duke was a crime.

Holly Martins

« Reply #523 on: October 26, 2022, 08:59:36 PM »

The 2022 Australian psychological thriller, The Stranger, is one of the best films of the year, and a fascinating and haunting study of the Mr. Big procedure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Big_(police_procedure)

It is flawless in pacing, dialog, sets, understated performances and masterful control of the emotional tension that offers gritty realism about the undercover life. 

Holly Martins

« Reply #524 on: November 02, 2022, 11:52:35 AM »

"Inside Man," the new miniseries (really just a long movie cut into four parts) from Stephen Moffat, started out looking like Stanley Tucci doing a compelling variation on the Hannibal Lecter theme (imprisoned genius helps solve crimes), but despite some good turns from cast like David Tennant ("I'm a fucking vicar!"), couldn't quite decide if it was a black comedy or a more serious attempt to make some observations about human nature and our true selves.  By the end, the comic moments seem sprinkled in rather than integral to the story, and it all unravels into preposterousness.  And a deeply silly deus ex machina from a random garbage truck.  Suspense, done properly, has us caring about at least one of the characters.  To see that caring, established well enough in the first hour, pissed away in the next three is disappointing. 

The post-credits scene would seem to set up another possible chapter, which one can hope will iron out some of these problems and give Mr. Tucci more room to illuminate the darker corners of human nature.  I wouldn't mind seeing more of the actress who plays the Clarice Starling character, a young journalist at war with her own disgust for the man she is trying to profile. 
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 53