Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 53

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 45428 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #690 on: February 02, 2024, 04:24:37 PM »

RIP Apollo Creed.
Sam: Those sons of bitches, they got him right through the neck.

Suzy: Was he a good dog?

Sam: Who's to say? But he didn't deserve to die.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #691 on: February 02, 2024, 06:09:44 PM »

I liked his absurdly thrifty version of himself on Arrested Development.

One of the funnier actor playing self gigs out there. 
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #692 on: February 25, 2024, 11:08:03 AM »

Personally, I can t wait to get home and have Netflix recommend this show to me based on all the other stuff that I watch myself in.

- Idris Elba, the SAG awards de facto emcee.
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 01, 2024, 11:25:12 PM »

Howard Hughes Holdings and Sony Pictures have submitted plans with Clark County to build a movie studio on 31 acres in Las Vegas.

DETAILS: https://tinyurl.com/5n7fdwx8

===========

A few studios are reportedly coming to Vegas, which is good.

I do not necessarily like the Japanese, I do not like the Japanese business model, they work themselves to death, and if it was not for unions then they would never pay our people fair. I like the Italian business model better when it comes to making movies, and the French business model, and Hollywood.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 02, 2024, 04:16:14 PM »

The movie about Father Flanagan and Boys Town was an Oscar Winner and it was the top grossing film of 1938, they could do the same thing with Father Boyle and Homeboy Industries, and they can show the world how great Homeboy Industries is so that people can support the organization.

Salute,

Tony V.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 07, 2024, 01:38:49 PM »

Caught up with a couple of movies, one fairly recent and one a little older, over the weekend.

The Wonder, a 2022 Florence Pugh movie, is about an English nurse who travels to Ireland to spend two weeks observing a Fasting Girl, who claims to have not eaten food for four months. Slow, atmospheric, and at first it built some suspense amid (despite) multiple shots of Pugh walking across the Irish landscape in a muddied blue dress. Pugh is good, the reliable Toby Jones and Ciaran Hinds show up, the latter too briefly. Tom Burke plays a reporter, originally a local and now based in England, who disdainfully attempts to browbeat Pugh to get face time with the Fasting Girl. They have an antagonistic relationship until they suddenly, without regard to the plot to date, actor chemistry, or how human beings actually behave, and solely because it will be necessary for the plot resolution, bang. "I thought you did not like me" Pugh says post coitus, which is fair because UP TO THAT VERY POINT HE DID NOT.

Anyway, Pugh solves the mystery of the Fasting Girl, (hint: it involves Allofeeding) and the movie plods on to an ending that requires a character to essentially ignore everything she had said or done or believed in for the entire movie and abandon her entire life and outlook for a new one in the course of maybe one minute. For this movie, it would be hard to think of a worse and more artificial ending for the story. Add to it the director apparently having his soul possessed by Wes Anderson for framing scenes at the beginning and end of the movie, and a self aware voice over narration, both of which the movie does zero with, and it was two hours of my life I definitely would like back.

But at least it was also only two hours, separating it on the positive side from The Good Shepherd. Jesus. Just because I wasted my time is no reason for me to waste yours with anything more.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 04:23:06 PM by Hairy Lime »

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 08, 2024, 09:19:38 AM »

Finally logged on.  My traveling device refuses to access Elba.  We didn't journey as far as Tampa, but it was nice to be warmER.   My daughter is an amazing director, managed to get astonishing stage talents out of middle schoolers. 

The Wonder disappointed us, too.  Allofeeeding is more than a "hint," haha.  But this cinematic dose of preposterone can't really be spoiled.  The reincarnation ending was, as you noticed, artificial and pandering.  And just silly.  Pugh/Burke chemistry=0. 

When you described The Good Shepherd I thought wasn't that George Clooney then realized that was a film from the same year, The Good German.  Also a tedious mediocrity.  Further muddying my memory waters was another similar themed film, also around that same year, The Constant Gardener.  Which was pretty good.  The only reason I'd sacrifice two hours of my mortal coil to TG Shepherd would be Matt Damon who seems to pull good performances out of dubious scripts. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #697 on: March 08, 2024, 09:49:18 AM »

The Good German Shepherd would be a nice double bill. And for the record, I thought I was getting the Clooney movie which sounds way more interesting.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 08, 2024, 10:09:31 AM »

Oh, and yes Constant Gardner was very good, far better than TGS. Because there is a difference between a slow burn and a slow no burn, Rachel Weisz >> Angelina Jolie, and that La Carre fellow seems to be pretty good at that sort of thing. I predict a bright future for him.

Fun fact. When I went back to fix "bright suture" one of the options predictive type gave me was Utrecht. What the hell have I been typing?

I just remembered Rachel Weisz was in The Light Between Oceans with Michael J. Lawbender.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 10:23:27 AM by Hairy Lime »

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 10, 2024, 08:32:13 PM »

The Good German Shepherd would be a nice double bill.

I terriered up at the ending. 

that La Carre fellow seems to be pretty good at that sort of thing. I predict a bright future for him.

New Hope for the Dead!

Some good adaptations of Le Carre.  I can't remember much of the Tinker Tailor film with Gary Oldman, but I really liked the late seventies BBC version with Sir Alec G.  Smiley's People, the sequel, was also solid.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #700 on: March 11, 2024, 11:14:47 AM »

The Good German Shepherd would be a nice double bill.

I terriered up at the ending. 

that La Carre fellow seems to be pretty good at that sort of thing. I predict a bright future for him.

New Hope for the Dead!

Some good adaptations of Le Carre.  I can't remember much of the Tinker Tailor film with Gary Oldman...
Slow burn as well, but much better than TGS. Frequent shots of train tracks. Colin Firth in the cast but given less to do than Mark Strong or Toby Jones. Gee, I wonder who the secret bad guy is...

Richard Burton as The Spy Who Came In From the Cold remains my favorite JLC adaptation, and probably my favorite spy movie. Also liked A Most Wanted Man, PSH's last movie. Fuck. I am still pissed at him.

zosutganza

• View Profile
    • offtopic
offtopic
« Reply #701 on: March 15, 2024, 02:15:55 AM »

kraken клирнет зеркало  <a href="https://kraken11site.com/"> kraken зеркало официальный</a>

zosutganza

• View Profile
    • offtopic
offtopic
« Reply #702 on: March 15, 2024, 02:20:40 AM »

kraken клирнет зеркало  <a href="https://kraken11site.com/"> kraken зеркало официальный</a>

zosutganza

• View Profile
    • offtopic
offtopic
« Reply #703 on: March 15, 2024, 02:22:33 AM »

zosutganza

• View Profile
    • offtopic
offtopic
« Reply #704 on: March 15, 2024, 02:26:30 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 53