Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 1850

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 942072 times)

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #8865 on: November 24, 2019, 12:25:21 AM »

There may be many things wrong with the players, but this team needs a coach.

@TommyBeer
Knicks have played eight home games this season.

They’ve trailed by at least 28 points in half of them - four games.

28 points.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Re: Fizlosophy
« Reply #8866 on: November 24, 2019, 12:31:27 AM »

As Damyean Dotson (another player who has seen more minutes in the past six games) explained on Monday, the Knicks' overall strategy is to control the paint.

"That's the plan, try to protect the paint and make them spread out," he said. "Our whole goal is to protect the paint."

Can we admit this is a failed idea and change stategy?  Why don't you guard the 3 instead Coach?  3 is more than 2.

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
Focus where ya likes.
« Reply #8867 on: November 24, 2019, 12:50:55 AM »

Can't blame frank for the loss (9pts 9 ast) but i don't blame anyone for having issues with his play-making.

Dude has never scored 20 in an NBA game. He won't win games for you.  Best you can ask is for him not to lose it.

That spells back-up.

Lol, yeah his playmaking. Heck of a lot of room to grow there for sure.

9 dimes tonight. 0 turnovers. 6 you know whats. A couple more forced airballs. Sweet 36th start. Onward & upward.

Now some of the crap I saw from our 200+ start guys had me a little, er....

*** Liked seeing Fiz move to Barrett + two guards in game tonight (late of course, but more progress, onward, upwards). It horrible that we have to endure it, and only an embarrassment of a franchise would allow it, but yes, as Bo sez, this is another development year for our should-be-managing-a-high school-squad coach. He is developing.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 12:58:53 AM by lesterdog »
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #8868 on: November 24, 2019, 01:54:15 AM »

Can't blame frank for the loss (9pts 9 ast) but i don't blame anyone for having issues with his play-making.

Dude has never scored 20 in an NBA game. He won't win games for you.  Best you can ask is for him not to lose it.

That spells back-up.

Of course he isn't the reason the Knicks suck.

But offensively he may be the most predictable and unthreatening guard in the NBA. It's depressing to see him frequently pass it off to let someone else direct a play. Sometimes I get the sense — perhaps because of his young age — that it's a matter of coaching. It feels like he plays on the offensive end the way they want him to play.

And I've got no idea why.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #8869 on: November 24, 2019, 02:55:04 AM »

Our whole goal should be to protect the 3-Point line.  And funnel players in to Mitch and Taj.  Can't be worse than giving up 3's and letting perimeter G's get redhot.

Randle's kind of a throwback PF bull.  I was mildly encouraged that he hit 3's reasonably well last year.  But not my kind of player.  Hard to find a team that needs a post-up brute with poor D.  Maybe Les can send him tapes of ZachRandolph on Memf.

Melo was 0-8 on 3's.
POR has played by far the most Road games 12 (4-8) and just 5 Homers (1-4).  So there's that.  Of their 5 W's, one was in OT v ATL,  plus a 2 Pt win v DAL and 3 Pt W v OKC.  Their only convincing W was 2nd game of the season v. a SAC team that started off terrible.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
pre-NBA Knick
« Reply #8870 on: November 24, 2019, 04:10:53 AM »

Wataru Misaka enrolled at the University of Utah and joined their Utes basketball team. The young team finished with an 18–3 record in the 1943–44 season. They were invited to both the NCAA Tournament and the NIT Tournament. The team chose the latter because it was more prestigious at the time, and meant a trip to New York City. The team lost to Kentucky in the first round, but was given a chance to play in the NCAA tournament due to Arkansas's withdrawal because of a team accident. The team took advantage of this and won the tournament, beating Dartmouth 42–40 in overtime. Two nights later, Misaka and his team played the NIT champions, St. John's, in an exhibition match at Madison Square Garden, where his team won 43–36.[16]

Misaka was later drafted for World War II and rose to the rank of staff sergeant. After two years, he returned to the University of Utah and rejoined the team. The team won their second national championship in four years. Because of their success, Utah was invited to the NIT championship tournament in New York. The team slid by the first two rounds before beating Adolph Rupp's Kentucky powerhouse 49–45 to capture the 1947 NIT championship title. Misaka played the whole game, holding Ralph Beard, the national player of the year, to just one point.[9]

Professional basketball career
He was selected by the New York Knicks in the 1947 BAA Draft. He debuted as the first non-Caucasian player in the BAA (later known as the NBA) in 1947, the same year that Jackie Robinson broke the baseball color line.[17][18] The first African American did not play in the NBA until 1950.[17] There were no press conferences or interviews to commemorate Misaka's first game.[19] "It wasn't a big thing," he said. "Nobody cared."[19]

Misaka played in three games and scored seven points in the 1947–48 season before being cut from the team. He believed he was cut because the Knicks had too many guards.[20][21][7] Misaka said he did not feel any discrimination from teammates or opposing players during his time with the Knicks,[22] but he did not mingle with everyone.[18] During training camp, he was only close with future Hall-of-Famer Carl Braun.

Interesting stuff.
I like how they chose the NIT, lost, but then played in the NCAA as well when another team couldn't make it.  Won the NCAA, then beat the NIT champs in an exhibition right after.
Things used to be more informal, more improvised.

Misaka served in Hiroshima and Nagasaki as an interpreter after the war-ending mass killings.  Then returned to win another college championship. Wat was 5'9".  Just died at 95.  First non-white to play professional hoops in the US.

Btw, segregation was primarily but not solely targeted at blacks and really meant Whites Only, so Japanese were routinely barred from restaurants and other public places.  More tolerated because seen as less threatening and fewer in numbers (and closer to white), but still discriminated against.  It's not like German immigrants in Milwaukee or Cincinnati were rounded up and deported (though many did get harassed).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 09:17:07 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8871 on: November 24, 2019, 12:45:02 PM »

Randle's kind of a throwback PF bull.  I was mildly encouraged that he hit 3's reasonably well last year.  But not my kind of player.  Hard to find a team that needs a post-up brute with poor D.  Maybe Les can send him tapes of ZachRandolph on Memf.

When I watch Randle, I see what I imagine the Zach-Haters saw when they watched my beloved  Z-Bo. Which makes me optimistic Randle could become more like Good Z Bo — but right now he's making Bad Z Bo plays about 8 -12 times a game, the original Z Bo never did that at his worst...wildcard is some actual coaching, which it's certainly not clear he's going to get.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 12:47:17 PM by lesterdog »
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #8872 on: November 24, 2019, 01:19:47 PM »

Reminder

Knicks-Nets at 6 today
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 01:24:43 PM by kiidcarter8 »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #8873 on: November 24, 2019, 02:36:29 PM »

One thing about a poorly designed offense - it can lead to bad looking turnovers

Randle hasnt played his best, for sure - I have already said - but so many of his turnovers are of the "what kind of play design was that>" than simple fumbling miscues (like late last night when he just flung the ball off his dribble)

The positive of  guys like Randle and Morris IS that they can get their own shot - and can score when guarded, things we criticize other players for NOT being able to do.

Better design - and your expected to be prime players will play better and look WISER.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Frank makes history
« Reply #8874 on: November 24, 2019, 03:23:26 PM »

The nine assists, six steals and no turnovers has only been done 19 times before, and Ntilikina is the youngest player ever to post those numbers in a game.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #8875 on: November 24, 2019, 04:48:05 PM »

One of Frank's biggest problems as a passer is not getting deep enough into the paint, to force help defenders to come and to open up those coveted passing windows. And he has the ability to do so/and has had the opportunities to do so but hasn't taken them.

https://twitter.com/DallasAmico_/status/1198693190305341440?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1198713382779514880&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ultimateknicks.com%2Fforum%2Ftopic.asp%3Ft%3D59595

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #8876 on: November 24, 2019, 04:50:06 PM »

The link above shows Frank still plays hesistant... not taking the open lane... not taking one extra dribble into the paint to draw the paint defender.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
RJ out
« Reply #8877 on: November 24, 2019, 04:52:00 PM »

KKnox starts at SG!?

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #8878 on: November 24, 2019, 05:38:22 PM »

DAL going Big, starting Funky-Smith & Hardaway with Doncic at Point.  Smallest starter is Tim Jr at 6'5".

Tim 27 & 4 Ass
KZ 20 & 12 Boards.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #8879 on: November 24, 2019, 06:29:04 PM »

Dennis keeps settin em up - and teammates misfire

He is playing the way you all say you want Frank to at the O end
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 1850