Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 962 963 [964] 965 966 ... 1853

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 1081160 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #14445 on: November 19, 2020, 12:01:49 PM »

Fac's first rounder Killian Tillie signs with the Grizzlies
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14446 on: November 19, 2020, 12:12:44 PM »

In other news -

I will be setting up a Yahoo fantasy league, with keepers

Anyone here will be free to join, then I will open it up to outsiders.

Free, of course.

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Chamaco’s League
« Reply #14447 on: November 19, 2020, 12:15:53 PM »

In other news -

I will be setting up a Yahoo fantasy league, with keepers

Anyone here will be free to join, then I will open it up to outsiders.

Free, of course.

You sure? Even me??? 😁
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14448 on: November 19, 2020, 01:00:39 PM »

So....

how much do we wish to offer Malik Beasley (newly named RFA) - or Jordan Clarkson?

Or do we just throw Quickley out there 25-30 minutes?

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #14449 on: November 19, 2020, 01:06:28 PM »

Remember the 2009 draft where Curry gets selected one spot before Hill.   Were you laughing then?  The process matters.  Execution matters.   Shows we aren't a joke.

And Minnesota got their PG targets -- Rubio and Flynn -- right ahead of Scurry ...

Selection and evaluation remain key.
We still could have had DeRozan, Jrue or Jennings instead of Doofy Hill.
(fwiw, I was against Jennings; interested in JRue, didn't know DeMar).

As for this draft, I think 11-14 will be seen as a nice run of players that should have gone higher.  Vassal, Halliburton, Kira, Nesmith.
Seems most years there's a few wings that go in the late lottery, who should have gone higher.  Wing shooting and D seem to get slightly undervalued, while a couple Bigs and a PG go too high.

19-21 might be another outperforming run -- Bey - Achiuwa - Maxey
The #30 pick usually turns out well -- BOS tapped Bane supposedly an elite shooter and projected around 25-30.
Usually 3-5 2nd rounders should have been much higher and become starters even.
Woodard?  Tyler Terry? Tre Jones -- though he's probably more a long-term solid backup.  One of the Cassiuses (Cassiui?) in the 50's?
Deep draft.  Could be one of the better 2nd rounds.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14450 on: November 19, 2020, 01:18:37 PM »

As for this draft, I think 11-14 will be seen as a nice run of players that should have gone higher.  Vassal, Halliburton, Kira, Nesmith.
Seems most years there's a few wings that go in the late lottery, who should have gone higher.  Wing shooting and D seem to get slightly undervalued, while a couple Bigs and a PG go too high.

As Bilas said yesterday...

A very deep draft of GOOD players

No surprise at all that 11-14 will be able to play in this league for quite some time.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14451 on: November 19, 2020, 01:40:50 PM »

Best picks - given their slots

3 - BALL
8 - TOPPIN
9 - AVDIJA
10 - SMITH
15 - ANTHONY
20 - ACHIUWA
26 - PRITCHARD
32 - CAREY
43 - JONES
55 - WINSTON
58 - REED

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14452 on: November 19, 2020, 01:53:15 PM »

Knicks decline options on Portis and Ellington and WAIVE Payton and Gibson.

There is interest in bringing back Taj and Portis.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #14453 on: November 19, 2020, 02:10:16 PM »

Knicks decline options on Portis and Ellington and WAIVE Payton and Gibson.

There is interest in bringing back Taj and Portis.

What a load of crap. Not good enough to be has beens.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #14454 on: November 19, 2020, 02:14:03 PM »

Doubt we want Portis back.
Elf maybe.
or we freed up money to bang an offer to FVV ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14455 on: November 19, 2020, 02:19:50 PM »

I am giving you what is being reported

I was a pretty big Payton supporter by analytics on him turned out to be worse than I imagined.

I think we punt there.  I think Dennis Smith Jr is the current starting NY Knicks point guard - and even Thibodeau will realize he can be OK with this for the time being if a Knicks-positive signing or trade does not come to fruition

Will Harper make the team, as constructed?  Possibly.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #14456 on: November 19, 2020, 02:26:43 PM »

It'll be a big year for RJB (and Knox) to prove what they've got and how they are coming along.

No idea what to expect out of Jr. Smith.  Hard to see handing him the keys, since he was a disaster last year.  But if he's on the roster, I'd like to see him get significant minutes and be given an opportunity to sink or swim.

Randle's days are numbered. But he could be the starting PF and a mentor this year.  But he'll be shopped mid-season and again in the Summer.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #14457 on: November 19, 2020, 02:50:54 PM »

Best picks - given their slots

3 - BALL
8 - TOPPIN
9 - AVDIJA
10 - SMITH
15 - ANTHONY
20 - ACHIUWA
26 - PRITCHARD
32 - CAREY
43 - JONES
55 - WINSTON
58 - REED

Haliburton?
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

chipstern

• View Profile
Yin Yang [With Apologies To PHAROAH]
« Reply #14458 on: November 19, 2020, 03:12:28 PM »

I find myself aligning with Kam & Facil post-draft, while parting company on a number of conclusions but also seeing eye to eye on some with the Almighty & Prescient BoD, long may he rain on any and all parades.

FIRST: Do NO Harm.  Surely things that can be debated, and some legitimate head scratching & second guessing, but nothing debased or abjectedly stupid, especially in light of front office moves over the past 20 years. 

SECOND: From the diplomatic perspective, some interesting alliances and partnerships, among our competitors and worthy adversaries, pulling off deals with Utah, Minneapolis, Oklahoma City and Los Angeles that appear to have been mutually beneficial.  Nobody got fleeced, no one got dressed up in a French Maid's outfit and bent over a straight back chair.  And among the enduring alliances laid out, again, subject to review and second guessing, a clear alliance/predilection for CAA relationships and the KENTUCKY CONNECTION. 

THIRD: Close to the vest calculations.  Seemingly nothing was leaked to dumbskis in the press, although our infatuation with Toppin was plainly in view, while the Quickley trade/draft pick was a pleasant surprise, although I was on the phone pulling for Maxey and Harmpton with forum alumni E-Mann when both went a pick before us, but we both knew that with Morey and Doc in Philly that Maxey was not dropping to us at #23, and cursed when RJ went like low hanging fruit to Milwuakee just before us at #24, although I believe Quickley was a done deal.

FOURTH: The Mystery Of The #33 Pick.  Among the second guessing and consternation, one might hazard some speculation, with or without evidentiary back-up.  A] The trade-up for #23 > #27-#38 would seem to have been earmarked for a possible trade down for the #5 pick for either Okoro or Toppin.  B] The Trade-down for #25-#33 > #23 might have been cover for any number of possible present-or-future deals hertofore unknown or which failed to materialize.  In the end, as per forum head scratching as to why we would have passed on such ohmyGODtheyarestillTHERE low-hangingfruit as Maledon, Woodard and Jones, well, we may indeed be second guessing those for a generation, but some cards clearly have yet to have been played, and just as clearly our #33 big man pick was selected for the Clippers.  Perhaps the backup slot for Mitchell Robinson is being reserved for Kenny Wooten and/or Gibson/Portis should either of them be re-enlisted at a cheaper price.  Perhaps. 

FIFTH: LOW HANGING FRUIT?  No matter what we did at #8, we were going to be second guessed by friends and adversaries alike.  Washington couldn't have been happier when DA fell in their laps, as they have Wagner and are looking to re-up Bertans at the 4-5, so a nice hybrid 3-4-2 to go with 3-4, Hachimura is surely matzoh from heaven, but they might have been just as giddy had Toppin fallen down to them.  I was a long-time enthusiast for Haliburton and Vassell, and respectfully disagreed with BoD pissy dismissals of Okoro and Toppin, though I think the latter's selection at #5-#8 would seem to indicate that pro scouts disagreed with Bo's assessment and were more in tune with the judgement of Coach Tom Thumb.

SIXTH: LOW HANGING FRUIT?  This was a WAY BETTER DRAFT in terms of serviceable NBA talent from top to bottom than the geniuses allowed.  I mean, Ball falling to Charlotte at #3?  Williams moving up to #4.  Toppin and Avdija and Vassell and Haliburton and Lewis and Nesmith and Anthony all being there for the taking between 8 & 15?  MIAMI with another one of their patented mid-late first round heists at #20 with Precious Achiuwa....I mean, how PERFECT is THAT?

Wow.  And despite BoD's dismissive Rubio/Flynn metaphor for Toppin/Avdija, I would rather float a more garish hindsight suggestion of Trae/Luca.  Okay, that is as giddy and over the top as BoD's predictable piss take.  I will readily grant BoD THIS, though...when Detroit took Hayes at #7, I swallowed hard at the realization that both Toppin and Avdija were sitting there are #8.  HOLY SHIT.  Clearly the CONSENSUS of Tom Thumb, Perrywinkle, Thorn Of The Rose, Pass The Salt Walt, Aller Kocker, Zanin The Pass and Double Wide Wes saw something in Toppin [and Immanuel] that they really coveted moving forward in their ostensible grand scheme, which shall reveal itself in stages through the top of next week. 

But there would appear to be some sort of commitment in the short term to Knox and Brazdeikis AND Toppin in a 3-4 scheme of things, and a wait and see on 4-5 Randle going forward...I am not as convinced that Julius is click bait or a place holder as the received wisdom would have, a 20-10-3 a game man being something to cherish on any roster, and agree that Randle is a candidate for a Morris-style trade by the deadline.  Or NOT?  STILL, Avdija really impressed me in pre-draft interviews and clips for his size and wingspan and skill set and INTELLECTUAL Acumen as a passer and defender, not to metion experience playing against pros and the endorsement of Amare.  In any event, don't cry for me Argentina.  We will all watch him with considerable interest, even as one needs make no mistake about Toppin's frame, strength, motor, growth curve and explosive inside/outside offensive game AND MOTIVATIONAL FIRE.  The kid wanted to be a KNICK and represent New York. 

So, upon relflection, all of the what ifs and couldawouldashoulda and Stephen A-MeltDowns, a better than passing grade for Thorn Of The Rose and his Posse.  Say what the fuck you want.  After striking out on the ping pong balls, we scored genuine talent moving forward.

DRAFT GRADE: B+

« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 03:38:14 PM by chipstern »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #14459 on: November 19, 2020, 03:45:09 PM »

But there would appear to be some sort of commitment in the short term to Knox and Brazdeikis AND Toppin in a 3-4 scheme of things, and a wait and see on 4-5 Randle going forward.

Toppings playing the 3?
Randle playing the 5?
Randle and Toppings paired together?

I guess we'll have some funky lineups and try things.
But Randle won't be here long.
If we could flip him for Rubio or Dragic or such, we probably would.
Rubio went back to Minny (if I've kept up).

I was trying to think how to maximize RJB and ToPDog, and seems we'd be best pushing the pace.  Good open court players, who can get up and down, and cause havoc.  While in the halfcourt we could struggle without adequate G's.

Now, FVV would speed us up.
So could Westbrook.
With theMelo in CHA, the market for Westbrook is said to have dried up, due to his huge contract.  We could trade Randle and Franc for Russ.  That's shave $25M off our payroll, so that Westbrook's $41M would only be an additional $16M.
It's the 2 years after that make it real problematic.
Westbrook and kiddies - RJB - Knox - Topping - Mitch
Quickley - Franc - Bullock - Taj(?) - Jr. Smith
And we'd still have a good amount of cap space this year.

Not saying I'd do it.  But it would make us more fun to watch.
RJB - Top - Mitch all sprinting down court with Russ.

Well, we're gonna do something with the cap space.
Hope it works out.  Still lotsa holes to fill.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 962 963 [964] 965 966 ... 1853