Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1009 1010 [1011] 1012 1013 ... 1847

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 908452 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #15150 on: December 04, 2020, 12:31:05 AM »

First three collegiate games for possibly the next Knicks point guard

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/players/159163/

Keep an eye on Oke State (3-0)
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #15151 on: December 04, 2020, 02:27:57 AM »

Are those the minutes you would dole out? 
Or what you expect Thibs will go with?

I think one of Rivers/Bullox/Burks gets few minutes if any.
Rivers the most versatile, so he should be relatively safe.
Depends how much court time Franc gets.
I assume one of Burks/Bullox sits.

Knox 15-20 mins, if he can handle it.
Last year wasn't good for Knox, but I think his continued development is still a priority.  I will say drafting another weak defender at PF doesn't help Knox fit in the lineup.

I don't see Franc and Knox out of the rotation for three journeymen wings.
Sure hope not.  That's be extremely short-sighted.

Otherwise:
- I think the C split will be more Mitch 28 / Nawlins 16.
Noel has often looked best in short stretches/limited minutes; and hopefully Mitch is ready for more.
- Can't see Toppin under 20 mpg -- he's supposed to be NBA ready, is 22 and we're a weak sister who needs to prioritize development.
- Development will be balanced with vet play.  (ie Frank and Knox play; Topping and Mitch get more playing time)
- I'd like to see MKG get 6-8 mins, or just some minutes now and then to see if he can help the team and glue together some patchwork lineups.
Another crayon in the tool box or however that goes ...

Maybe Thibs goes more Win Now and vet-heavy, as you have it, but playing journeymen over yute is misguided this year imo.  I could see Franc falling through the cracks -- though Thibs like defense.  Should be a situational 14 mins for Franc.  If both Knox and Franc are out of the rotation, priorities are out of whack.  In the past directives might come down from the front office to play certain guys, I have no idea how CAA runs things or their relationship with Thibs.

Simply, I'd much rather one of Bullox/Burks gets DNP-ed and Knox/Franc out there.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #15152 on: December 04, 2020, 02:33:59 AM »

First three collegiate games for possibly the next Knicks point guard

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/players/159163/

Keep an eye on Oke State (3-0)

Cunningham looks very smooth.  If Ben Simmons had a jumpshot he might be Cade Cunningham when he grows up.
But right now Jalen Suggs looks amazing.  Jason Kidd passing skills with Damian Lillard type shooting and dunking.
Maybe the Knicks were looking to 2021 when they passed on TyH.  Suggs or Cunningham look better than any of the PG's drafted this year.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #15153 on: December 04, 2020, 10:02:58 AM »

Looks as though the Franky and KK mistakes have been replaced by some shooters and scorers this year.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15154 on: December 04, 2020, 10:32:23 AM »

Are those the minutes you would dole out?
Or what you expect Thibs will go with?

Expected end of year minutes given no further changes.

But I am sure each guy will be cut a minute or three and some on the list will have a handful more (read - player 11-15 may total more than 6 minutes per)

DNPs count as ZERO MINUTES for this exercise of course.  9 DNPs and one 20 minute game played = 2 minutes per, though the stats wil show it as 20.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15155 on: December 04, 2020, 10:34:40 AM »

Looks as though the Franky and KK mistakes have been replaced by some shooters and scorers this year.

Rivers over Frank
Burks over Knox

Just there - without even figuring in Toppin - improves us.  Then add the Thibs effect

Still....22-50 is the under projection, 23-49 the over?

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15156 on: December 04, 2020, 10:52:44 AM »

Simply, I'd much rather one of Bullox/Burks gets DNP-ed and Knox/Franc out there.

You dont agree then that OKC cashed in on their win total a year ago?

I dont see Burks ever DNP.  Bullock - sure

There will be some nights as well  when we only go 9 deep, I'd bet.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15157 on: December 04, 2020, 11:03:05 AM »

I dont discount that Knox could be shooting it better in camp and starting Friday.

What is it you like about his game?

About Frank?

Or are you just trying to get mileage out of first rounders?

Comparing to the guys you want them to play over it wouldnt seem like the team would be better off froma  production or an on court leadership perspective. 

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15158 on: December 04, 2020, 11:55:58 AM »

a)  More pivotal deals to be done in the league

b)  All the trades other than minor shuffling are done

- Leaning toward B

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15159 on: December 04, 2020, 11:57:15 AM »

That said -

R J Barrett plus picks for Harden?

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #15160 on: December 04, 2020, 03:58:58 PM »

It's going to be another losing year, so I don't see the benefit of winning 3-5 extra games by playing journeymen vets over developing yute.  Playing a balance in order to try to be  to some extent competitive seems reasonable, which was what we did last year mostly.

As for Knox, mostly he has an NBA body, which he doesn't take advantage of.  His shooting stroke looks all right.  He can drive and get to the rim, but tends to avoid contact and oddly stay low getting blocked far too much.  Needs to bang.   Should watch tape of a young Melo and Jason Tatum.  Getting to the FT line and putting the ball through the hoop from there often helps a player get his O on track.

An increased motor could get him an extra board or two, plus maybe an easy cutting basket a game.  Increased defensive awareness would help.  Steady teammates, so he knows what to expect, could help.  Knox isn't terribly far away and is young, but has a lot to work on and no core strengths yet.  Essentially he is young, seems willing to learn and has an NBA body.  Knox is younger than Toppings.

From the makeup of this team, Knox probably needs to knock down 3's in order to be useful.  Has the size to shoot over most SF's. If he can adequately guard SF's that'd help a lot too, but he hasn't shown much on that end yet.  I have trouble believing a young losing team will just bury their 3rd year lottery pick.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15161 on: December 04, 2020, 03:59:13 PM »

That said -

R J Barrett plus picks for Harden?

Fuck no, but thank you for the offer.

You can pencil in Randle, Burks, and Barrett for about 30 minutes a night at least. That’s our most highly touted young buck and fairly versatile front and backcourt scoring. Those guys are going to need rim protection. With Burks and Barrett, you don’t necessarily need a point guard though someone quick and shifty would help. If Barrett could take a big step toward Burks’ level as a catch and shoot threat, a point guard would have a lot of juicy options from this group. That includes vertical spacing from Mitch, Obi, and Noel.

We have a legit camp battle between Payton and Frank for top PG. they are both several leagues better than anyone else on the roster in this role. Payton ended the year better, but Frank was on his heels.

I think Mitch beats out Noel, Randle beats out Obi, Frank beats out Payton (Frank got nice from corner 3 and now he’ll be working with the Jazz messenger who brought Burks over and with Woody). Burks and Barrett beat out all comers.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 04:01:04 PM by facilitatorn »
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #15162 on: December 04, 2020, 04:08:36 PM »

With Burks and Barrett, you don’t necessarily need a point guard though someone quick and shifty would help.

I thought RJB looked terrible as a PG.  So did Franc.
Ballhandling and passing were not a strength last year.
Elf started because he can penetrate and assist.
And he's really a career backup.  Burks is a chucker.
Knix really need a PG.

No PG lineups or Franc starting and we'll wind up with Randle bringing the ball upcourt again...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15163 on: December 04, 2020, 04:43:24 PM »

You’re such a worry wart. We’ll be fine.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #15164 on: December 04, 2020, 05:10:32 PM »

We have a legit camp battle between Payton and Frank for top PG. they are both several leagues better than anyone else on the roster in this role. Payton ended the year better, but Frank was on his heels.

I think Mitch beats out Noel, Randle beats out Obi, Frank beats out Payton (Frank got nice from corner 3 and now he’ll be working with the Jazz messenger who brought Burks over and with Woody). Burks and Barrett beat out all comers.

Frank isn't an orchestrator.  He can find spot minutes, maybe 6 minutes a night at the 1, 2, 3 .  So maybe 18 minutes max.  Not bad if he contributes and gets 18 minutes per night while Payton and DSJ provide the PG duties.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown
Pages: 1 ... 1009 1010 [1011] 1012 1013 ... 1847