Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1197 1198 [1199] 1200 1201 ... 1861

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 1144708 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #17970 on: April 02, 2021, 08:46:27 PM »

Just loving the KP performance as well
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
What's up Thibs?
« Reply #17971 on: April 02, 2021, 09:04:31 PM »

OBI ASCENDING!

Bench was playing great for a change, pulled and never returned. WTF
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

chipstern

• View Profile
Re: What's up Thibs?
« Reply #17972 on: April 02, 2021, 10:16:08 PM »

OBI ASCENDING!

Bench was playing great for a change, pulled and never returned. WTF

Thank You. 

I was talking with a friend on the phone, and I predicted that Thibs would reflxively pull Obi and go with his starters. 

Obi had 9 points in a significant seven minutes in the first half on two tough dribble drives, a jumper and memorable put back slam.  His energy and confidence were solid on 4-5, two rebounds and a steal.  He was in terrific rhythm in that second quarter stretch, and we built a lead off of his play and that of the second unit's.  Taj, Obi and Rose had the only + stat lines.  As Monica McNutt put it, he was getting to the paint and going downhill.  A good run, showing his repertoire, more than standing in the fucking corner and hoisting threes, which is mainly what they have had him doing. 

Also, I loves me some Quickley, but you can see when he is driving to the paint, he has a one track mind and is not looking to distribute the ball, but is thinking score, Score, SCORE.  The defenses see that and adjust accordingly. 

Yes, we were tired.  Clearly Julius and RJ had no legs. 

But just as clearly, a rusty Rose had 4 assists in 25 minutes and while Julius couldn't hit the broad side of a barn [5-20], he had 11 assists. 

In a combined 36 minutes, Payton and IQ had ONE.  The 3 B's, Bullock, Barrett and Burks?  One. 

Actually, with the exception of Randle [37 minutes], and Barrett [31], minutes were divided up in the 20s, with the exception of Elfrid [14] and Obi [11].  So like a nine man rotation. 

Last two games were winnable, but we took our feet off of the throttle when we were not running out of gas. 

Oh well. 

PS: Interesting, that at 17-18-19 Tim Hardaway was a runaway train, but at BB at 18 x 4 is a heady signing. 

THIBS REALLY BLEW IT. 

chipstern

• View Profile
Meanwhile
« Reply #17973 on: April 02, 2021, 10:23:24 PM »

The Knicks are signing center Norvel Pelle to a 10-day contract.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #17974 on: April 02, 2021, 10:42:46 PM »

Practice guy

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Portland Knicks
« Reply #17975 on: April 03, 2021, 12:38:27 AM »

By the way, the Portland Knicks were better with Enes Kanter at Center than they are with Jusuf Fucking Nurkic.

PS. Does anybody know what the fuck is the RC that Chamaco wants us all to buy?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 12:40:07 AM by carlos123 »
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #17976 on: April 03, 2021, 02:53:56 AM »

1Q
Not sure why KZ is taking (and missing) lots of long 3's.
Is anyone going to bother him if he's near the arc?
Brunson looks nice.

2nd unit comes in and right away IQ and Burks cna 3's.  Something the starters just can't do.  Last minutes of 1Q, Burks is guarding Doncic.  What's that about.  First go, Doncic goes right past Burks at slow speed, then slows down to get fouled from behind as he makes a little floater.  Next Burks gets screened off and is out of the play.  I think RJB was still in the game, and has the strength and quickness to matchup with Doncic.  Though maybe RJB had 2 fouls already (?)

2Q
ObiT comes alive (though still 2 fouls and a bricked 3 in his fine stretch)
Burks looking sharp
Taj with the D and hustle plays.
Knix 2nd unit killing DAL.

Mavs just not making the extra pass.
Brunson draws 3 Knix and gets blocked by Taj.  Er, guys were open.
6:44 mark Richardson misses a contested 18' J when KZ is standing at the arc wide open.  Mavs also throwing some terrible passes (mainly Doncic, who has looked really off)
Looks like a day game for the Mavs, low energy, sloppy, not doing naythign extra.

Breen seems to think the Knix transition D has been good this year.  He wrong.

J Rich starts looking smooth late 2Q.  Clyde said he thought Rich could develop into an all-star.  I had the same impression when he with MIA.  Potential of close to an all-star, but he goes passive, takes too many tough shots, not always involved/focused enough. 

Crazy 2Q.  Knix with a 13-2 run; Mavs respond with a 12-0 run.
Randle & Doncic a pair of stumblebums.  KZ mostly good defense, occasional iffy boarding, and terrible long 3's.  When I saw DAl a few times 2 weeks back they were posting KZ on smaller fellers and running some Doncic/KZ PnR's.

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Jerrya

• View Profile
« Reply #17977 on: April 03, 2021, 07:33:43 AM »

Sad to say but I don't think J. Randle is our answer.  He's not a clutch guy we can depend on when needed.  He consistently dribbles into double teams and gets stripped from the back side...bad court awareness.  He was a pleasent surprise in the beginning of the season but when all said and done, on balance he's not the one we can build around.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #17978 on: April 03, 2021, 09:57:32 AM »

His defense has really slipped as well.
But Randle was never likely be a 1A option on a high seed.
We always would need a star to pair with Randle so that he cold be 2nd or 3rd option.  Julius hasn't been nearly as focused or good since the all-star game.
I think the physical and mental toll just wore him down.
Randle is 2nd in mins per game (behind Harden).

Even on a poor game when he was not there, Randle came within two boards of a triple-double.

One thing good about Randle's regression is that now he's more likely to sign the 4/$108M extension.  Otherwise he needs to finish this season and then grind through another year at a high level to try to earn more.  Likely better off getting the 5 year guaranteed Dolanbucks now.
Also, if we get a legit starting PG form wherever, Randle's assists and touches will go down.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #17979 on: April 03, 2021, 10:00:05 AM »

1st Half:
KZ in an odd performance gets a T after the half expires.  Not even clear what he's complaining about.
IQ starts the 3Q so he can make the FT, to bring the Knix to within 2.
Why they are behind is unclear.  Starters not playing well.
Whole 1st half had a day game vibe to it.

3Q:
9:30 in the 3Q Kleber gets a wide open 3.  Randle simply walked away from Kleber on the arc, saunters into the paint to guard KZ, and taps Bullox telling him to cover his man about to get the ball 25 feet away.  Jeez, I'd be annoyed if someone in my pickup game pulled that crap.  Weird.

KZ gets on track.  Playing more inside and midrange.
Ugly 3Q.  Ugly game.

4Q
Uh, Brunson continues to look nice.
Luka takes over.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 07:14:49 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #17980 on: April 03, 2021, 10:11:56 AM »

Hardaway comes off the bench behind Funky-Smith, because of his D.
A pretty expensive 6th man.

I'm not convinced you've ever seen Bogdanovic play, but his D is solid, he passes and can create and has a deadly shot.  A better more versatile and reliable player than Tim Jr.

Btw, Hardaway shot 32% on 3's his 1st year/2nd stint with NYK, then was shooting 39% FG the next year when we dealt him.  Was an erratic disappointment.
Has been a significantly better shooter on DAL.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #17981 on: April 03, 2021, 11:46:38 AM »

Teams obviously keying on Randle now.  This is where a healthy Rose would come in handy.  Burks picking up some slack, given good opportunity.  Barrett just not the type player yet to be ON, effective every time out.

chipstern

• View Profile
Long Long Dicks, Short Short Memories
« Reply #17982 on: April 03, 2021, 04:19:49 PM »

Ah, Knicks fans. 

One bad shooting game and Randle is a bum. 

With who else besides Burks hitting any shots, defenses collapse on him, and just as often as not we have seen him overcome crushing coverage. 

Yes, dribbles into double teams....like the coverage doesn't swarm towards him.  Whol else are they going to collapse on? 

Yet in spite of that, last night, JR had ELEVEN ASSISTS.  Hello!

Julius is most def someone we can build around. 

But as BoD is wont to point out, we need a top tier NBA 3&D...Bullock is a good role player, and a tough defender, but has yet to display the kind of consistency from the outside, let alone the abillity to break down defenses off the dribble. 

And PG...in case no one has noticed, Elfrid appears to have lost Thibs' confidence.  On one hand, he displays some offensive cunning in getting to the rack off the dribble, but his contributions as a rudder, a facilitator, seem more and more negiligble with each successive game.  Lasy night, our starting point guard played all of 14 minutes and had one assist.  WTF?  Rose and Quickley were a combined 3-19 in 51 minutes.  Rose had 4 assists, IQ none.   

And RJ had an off night.  Not surprising on a night when JR was not commanding coverage with his short of long game, and when Burks was the only Knicks With The Knack. 

When we are getting effective PG play from Rose, who has been MIA of late, and outside shooting from Juluis Alec, Reggie and IQ, it opens up driving lanes for RJ and allows him to get into rhythm and get confidence in his shot.  And while his shooting has defintely improved, RJ remains more of a scorer than a shooter. 

AGAIN, surround RJ with shooters, and get a top tier PG, and watch his game ascend even further. 

Tall orders. 

Is RJ, still growing physically and skill-wise, our 3&D of the future?  Thibs sure doesn't seem to trust Knox.  Ergo Bullock. 

PG.  Assuming Rose comes back, he projects as a role player, 20 minutes a night.  IQ?  Presently he is more Lou Williams than Avery Bradley.  Elfrid?  Frank?  Don't seem them as Knicks going forward, and as per Fizz and Hornacek and Fisher, we appear to run very hot and cold on Frank. 

Obi.  I really like Obi and his progress last night, irrespective of yet another dying dove from three, was heartening. 

But where do his minutes come from going forward.  He is a genuine 6'9" with a high motor, great athleticism and hops, who teased us last night with his abillity to score down low and play around the rack.  Having him camp out at the three point line is a waste of his talent.  In any event, we are still 'fessing it out, because Thibs simply will not commit to sufficient minutes with either the second or first unit to let him play through his burps and glitches and build confidence and RHYTHM. 

Here's an idea, and it is a stretch, to put it mildly.  Perhaps Obi needs to be repurposed the way Miami deploys Bam.  Not sure how tenable that is, but Obi needs to be around the basket it seems.   

In the meantime, Thibs is Thibs, and that means that Obi and Knox, let alone Ntilikina and Harper, see little to no daylight.  He is committed to the playoffs, God Bless, and that means VETERANS, which means Rose, Bullock and Burks, it DID MEAN Payton, but the bloom seems to have gone off that rose.  Veterans, which was the crux, I believe, of BoD's enthusiasm for Kenny Atkinson, in that he was more of a player development coach.  While Thibs is more of a vet's coach, and his genius for defense and transforming the culture, he DOES tend to lean on his vets, to pile minutes on those players who have earned his trust, to keep his puppies on a very short leash.  As far as player development, it is not fair to take everything away from Thibs: Randle and Barrett, Mitchell and Noels, Burks and Quickley have all made strides under the tutelage of Thibs and Bryant and Payne. 

We are now 24-25 going into Detroit so after tonight, only 22 games remaining. 

Forgetting the playoffs for a moment....

* Obi is a serious talent, but the Knicks seriously blew it when Haliburton fell in our laps.  Spilt milk.  Oh, well....

* What are our goals and expectations going into the draft and free agency?  That seems pretty clear...shooting, Shooting, SHOOTING.  A 3&D if a special one is available.  And, DEAR GOD, a facilitating point guard.  Payton is a goner.  Frank seems to have no role going forward.  Harper has talent as a facilitator and a shooter and a scorer, but no way Thibs is going to toss him into the deep end of the pool.  His G League triumphs notwithstanding, is he yet another Brazdeikis in waiting? 

So three steps foward, two steps back.  Our Knicks.  We have ascended and gone into retrograde in cycles throughout this season.  How do we respond to the loss of Mitchell and to this disspiriting stretch? 

Stay tuned. But for goodness sake, don't issue any conclusive phatwahs, either oh woe is me negative or we have arrived positive.  For now, hovering around .500, teasing us with a playoff run, and resuscitating a commitment to defense will have to do.  We cannot get too high or too low.  Take a deep breath Knicks fans. 

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #17983 on: April 03, 2021, 04:27:04 PM »

Hardaway having a nice shooting year at 45/40/78

Not too sure its worth quibbling on THJ vs BOGBOG

bodiddley

• View Profile
context
« Reply #17984 on: April 03, 2021, 06:40:55 PM »

Bogdanovic does more on both ends than Hardaway.
But we were discussing Bogdanovic now and his new contract to Tim Jr. as a 2nd time Knick getting paid a then $18M and shooting poorly.
We weren't comparing DAL Tim to ATL Bog.

otherwise, DAL has to make a decision on how much to pay Hardaway.  I assume they want to keep him, and he has a solid role there, but at what price?
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 1197 1198 [1199] 1200 1201 ... 1861