Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1270 1271 [1272] 1273 1274 ... 1847

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 911119 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #19065 on: June 02, 2021, 12:29:54 PM »

Celtics being killed on ESPN over elevating Stevens
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #19066 on: June 02, 2021, 12:34:05 PM »

Ainge only did GMing for 18 years.

And met with a lot of success.

And with some half-decent luck would have had more

For all sorts of reasons he and the Celts decided to move to their next respective phases.

Brad is a very talented guy so hopefully the transition will be successful.

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #19067 on: June 02, 2021, 05:39:31 PM »

Ainge only did GMing for 18 years.

And met with a lot of success.

And with some half-decent luck would have had more

For all sorts of reasons he and the Celts decided to move to their next respective phases.

Brad is a very talented guy so hopefully the transition will be successful.

Danny had a great stint, but his luck finally ran out.

Hey even Red Auerbach had a run of karma, where Len Bias and Reggie Lewis left the building. 

Danny built a champion, and had the Celtics in contention year after year, no mean feat. 

But he overplayed his hand, and I was never real keen on how Danny and the Celtics were less than honest with Isaiah Thomas, who left it all on the floor for the Celtics franchise, and should probably have not been out on the court, when they were not completely forthcoming as to the ramifications of his injury, which pretty much cost him his career, and the thanks he got was that he was cashiered along with draft assets plus Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder and Kelly Oleynk [who all bled Celtic Green] in the pursuit of Kyrie Irving.  And his all-in pursuit of Gordon Hayward and Kemba Walker blew up in his face. 

Still, his sense of vision in pursuing Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown, when many, including the Prophet Kiid surely felt he overvalued them (and who mocked Ainge incessantly for passing on Fultz and Ball, before rewriting history with a Geek Chorus of I told you Tatum would be a stud).  And his heist of Billy King and the Nyets was epic on a Hershel Walker level of thievery. 

PS: I tell you what, trade handicappers and Kendrick Perkins have been beating the bushes as to how Marcus Smart should go or must go or is a valuable trading chip.  HUH?  Save for the fact that the Celtics would never do a deal with the Knicks, speaking only for myself, I'd be glad to take Smart off of your hands if indeed he has overstayed his welcome.  I mean, Thibs would allow Brad to rectally penetrate him for Smart, without even the common decency of a reach around. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 05:41:35 PM by chipstern »

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #19068 on: June 02, 2021, 06:07:58 PM »

Chip

But he overplayed his hand, and I was never real keen on how Danny and the Celtics were less than honest with Isaiah Thomas, who left it all on the floor for the Celtics franchise, and should probably have not been out on the court, when they were not completely forthcoming as to the ramifications of his injury, which pretty much cost him his career, and the thanks he got was that he was cashiered along with draft assets plus Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder and Kelly Oleynk [who all bled Celtic Green] in the pursuit of Kyrie Irving.  And his all-in pursuit of Gordon Hayward and Kemba Walker blew up in his face.

IT wanted "the Brinks truck" and get paid like a super-star, and it was pretty obvious and I remember posting here, the Celts will never win a championship if IT is the man, and the man getting paid the max. And then he got hurt, and everybody knew it. The Cavs checked him out and got an additional #2nd rounder in the Kyrie trade. Did Danny know more than he let on, probably, but there was no role for IT with KI coming on board. And KI forced his way out of Cleveland and the Celts had the assets to do it. It seemed like a no-brainer steal at the time, except no one knew how big an asshole KI was.

And without going through all the trade details, KO was not a front line guy and with Horford and Tatum and Hayward, he was going to be a 2nd stringer and he got paid in Miami. Good guy, Crowder was a good role player under a good contract and he was part of the Kyrie trade. The problem was Kyrie, he was an asshole, got hurt, and figured out that maybe with Jason and Jaylen maybe he wasn't going to be the alpha, and he bailed out. He wasn't an alpha or a leader. He had an alpha in LeBron and found another with with KD.

Hayward-the assumption was that he and Brad were BFFs and then he got hurt 5 fucking minutes into his Celtics career and he never really got healthy in Boston.

Kemba? He was an AS guard last year, then the shit hit the fan and he could barely walk.

I'm almost positive if Gordo was close to 100% last year, or Kemba was close to 100% we would have had a Celts-Lakers finals last year.

Then they trade Theis (I liked Theis) for Fournier for some offense at the trade deadline, and then Fournier misses the next 3 weeks to covid.

Danny had shit for luck the last 4 years, but he still engineered a team that made the ECF 3 of the last 5 years.

With some luck, maybe a couple of Finals, with a lotta luck...

Good luck tonight against the Hawks

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #19069 on: June 02, 2021, 06:30:25 PM »

They may trade Smart as part of a retool, he had an off year, and IMO he tried to do more than he could, but judging anyone off this fucking year is probably a mistake. Marcus is an acquired taste and a unique player, but he plays his heart out. I hope Brad keeps him.

They need a full time PG, to initiate flow and ball movement as too often the O is stagnant And if he can hit the 3 35-38% of the time that would be nice too. Not an AS, but just a guy who can facilitate and play D. Hoping Tatum goes off for 40+ is fun, but its not generally winning basketball. Defense, transition, ball movement and now at least 3 guys who can bury 3s or take it hard to the hoop for the old school 3. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 06:33:03 PM by bankshot1 »

chipstern

• View Profile
Danny Boy
« Reply #19070 on: June 02, 2021, 06:38:08 PM »

Points taken. 

Still, Brother Ainge was a victim of the GRASS ALWAYS GREENER SYNDROME, was he not. 

I mean, Terry Rozier did not require the Brinks Truck, while Kemba did.  Rozier just turned 27, and has emerged as solid combo guard for the Hornets at 17.9 for the final year of his contract next season...excellent three point shooter and FT converter.  I believe he might have been on the Knicks radar at some point.  Plus, as per a persistent them vis a vis Danny, loyal soldiers get cashed in when shiny objects are available. 

I LOVE Kemba.  Great competitor.  But he just turned 31, has been gimpy going forward, and is due 36 & 37 million over the next two seasons  Unless the Celtics are willing to append multiple draft assets, and some young players, their chances of offloading him seem....REMOTE. 

As per the bad luck of Hayward, I always thought extending him a MAX Out was curious, as talented as he very well may be, as his position on the floor seemed to overlap with BOTH Tatum and Brown. 

But what do I know. 

Did not have a dog in the hunt, vis a vis, Celtics/Nyets, but I guess it is fair to say I was rooting for the Celtics.  I love Tatum, and did he ever man up in the Celtics victory on their home court. 

As for Irving being an asshole, well, at times he projects profoundly assaholic tendencies, at other times, he seems to be a very spiritual cat.  Confounding.  Particularly when his jumper is falling.  Those Knicks fans chanting about bring on the Nets?  Seeming kind of remote now, does it not, and if we cannot match up with the Hawks, well....sheeeeeeet. 

And as for Boston being a cracker town, well, maybe not like they once were, but I'm old enough to recall the viciousness of the school busing riots, and how profoundly disrespected Bill Russell was [someone pillaged his home, for moving into a "white" nabe, and defecated in his bed, in case he missed the point] and all Mister Bill ever did WAS WIN. 

So, I do not think we can completely dismiss the overtones of racism Kyrie may or may not have felt radiating throughout the town and the arena.  But hey, considering how the Celtics committed to him, embraced his talent, and the assets the surrendered for him, yeah, asshole. 

Anyway, like I said, points taken. 

And thanks for the go get 'em tonight.  We are not just playing for the here and now, but for 2021-2022 and beyond.  Sometimes you need to get punked before you can make that next step.  Hey, LeBron and Wade and Bosh got punked by Dirk and company, not that we are in that class of talent.  Just saying. 

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #19071 on: June 02, 2021, 06:51:49 PM »

They may trade Smart as part of a retool, he had an off year, and IMO he tried to do more than he could, but judging anyone off this fucking year is probably a mistake. Marcus is an acquired taste and a unique player, but he plays his heart out. I hope Brad keeps him.

They need a full time PG, to initiate flow and ball movement as too often the O is stagnant And if he can hit the 3 35-38% of the time that would be nice too. Not an AS, but just a guy who can facilitate and play D. Hoping Tatum goes off for 40+ is fun, but its not generally winning basketball. Defense, transition, ball movement and now at least 3 guys who can bury 3s or take it hard to the hoop for the old school 3.

You and US both. 

Going forward I would love for Rose to remain a Knick, but coming off the bench as an energizer bunny, instant offense, third man. 

We need to develop a young facilitator, a la Jae and Trae, least ways, something more athletic and consistent on both ends of the court. 

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #19072 on: June 02, 2021, 07:08:55 PM »

I agree about Rozier, he might have been that guy I described, a solid PG, but he wanted out and a place where he could shine on his own. And the Celts thought they were getting a KI replacement w/Kemba.

I posted elsewhere about the mid 70s Boston school deseg/bussing issue and the black guy getting attacked with the US flag. That image set the narrative. Didn't matter that Mass had a black senator, or never had race riots when other big cities did, but that image of the black guy getting attacked stuck in people's mind.

Real story-Remember in Spike Lee's "Do the Right Thing" when the white guy in the Celts Bird jersey has a run-in with a neighborhood black guy. That shit was true. I lived in Brooklyn from 1983-1992, and in the mid 80s the local kids, mostly Italian and Irish kids, all wore Celtics jackets solely due to the team's racial make-up. And this neighborhood was about 1 mile from the Barclay Center.

Boston as a cracker town is bullshit, its just like most cities, except it acts as a target for others to scape goat.

Like KI did.

He changed the narrative from "I was a bullshitter and couldn't deliver what I had promised and quit on the team" to

if Boston boos me its because they're racist and we all know it.

And then he wiped the shit off his shoes on mid-court and provoked one moron to get the punchline he wanted.

It was an asshole move. 

By an asshole

just my 2 scents

again good luck tonight

« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 07:12:49 PM by bankshot1 »

chipstern

• View Profile
Cracker Town
« Reply #19073 on: June 02, 2021, 07:11:16 PM »

I defer to your experience. 

However...I have two words for you in passing. 

PUMPSIE GREEN. 

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Cracker Town
« Reply #19074 on: June 02, 2021, 07:21:24 PM »

PUMPSIE GREEN.

I have two more words: Sam Jethroe

Boston had two teams, the Braves were about the 4th MLB team to integrate and signed Jethro I think for the 1950 season.

They were owned by a local guy-Lou Perini, made his dough in construction

Sox were owned by Tom Yawkey a South Carolinian.

Who was a racist.

the moron passed on Jackie Robinson and Willie Mays

Fucking racist moron

But Boston baseball was integrated as of 1950, before most other MLB cities.

Bruins were the first NHL team with a black player (Willie O'Ree)

Celts the first NBA team to draft a black player, start an all-black five, and have a black head coach

but Pumpsie Green!

and Ed Brooke (google him)

« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 07:24:44 PM by bankshot1 »

chipstern

• View Profile
Re: Cracker Town
« Reply #19075 on: June 02, 2021, 07:31:44 PM »

PUMPSIE GREEN.

I have two more words: Sam Jethroe

Boston had two teams, the Braves were the about the 4th MLB team to integrate and signed Jethro I think for the 1950 season.

They were owned by a local guy-Lou Perini, made his dough in construction

Sox were owned by Tom Yawkey a South Carolinian.

Who was a racist.

But Boston baseball was integrated as of 1950, before most other MLB cities.

Bruins were the first NHL team with a black player (Willie O'Ree)

Celts the first NBA team to draft a black player, start an all-black five, and have a black head coach

but Pumpsie Green!

and Ed Brooke (google him)

Yes, PUMPSIE GREEN.  And of course, Jackie and Willie.  AND WILLIE.  Talk about what might have been. 

Jackie 1947. 

Poor Ted Williams.  For that matter, poor Stan Musial. 

Meanwhile, the Braves moved to Milwaukee and proceeded to win the World Series in 1957 with Henry Aaron and Wes Covington [from Dizzy Gillespie's home town] and Bill Bruton. 

And not to cop a 'tude, but while the Dodgers and Giants were ahead of the bell curve, the Yankees didn't have a black ball player until Elston Howard in 1955, and he didn't have any brothers for a number of years. 

About Elston, Casey was alleged to have opined with old world sensitivity, "We finally get one, and he can't run." 

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #19076 on: June 02, 2021, 07:52:29 PM »

As we've discovered Chip, Pumpsie Green unfortunately has become a symbol of racism for a city, which may or may not be wholly deserved. Boston has racists like every city in this country, and Tom Yawkey was clearly a racist. But Pumpsie Green became a convenient punch line for people to demonize Boston and forget about sins closer to home. 

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19077 on: June 02, 2021, 07:57:37 PM »

The move to Rose as starter has SUCKED BALLS.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19078 on: June 02, 2021, 08:50:41 PM »

I’d put Pelle in to start the second half. Have him head rub Capella till he picks up six fouls or they fight.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Jack Straw

• View Profile
« Reply #19079 on: June 02, 2021, 09:50:58 PM »

I posted elsewhere about the mid 70s Boston school deseg/bussing issue and the black guy getting attacked with the US flag. That image set the narrative. Didn't matter that Mass had a black senator, or never had race riots when other big cities did, but that image of the black guy getting attacked stuck in people's mind.

Real story-Remember in Spike Lee's "Do the Right Thing" when the white guy in the Celts Bird jersey has a run-in with a neighborhood black guy. That shit was true. I lived in Brooklyn from 1983-1992, and in the mid 80s the local kids, mostly Italian and Irish kids, all wore Celtics jackets solely due to the team's racial make-up. And this neighborhood was about 1 mile from the Barclay Center.

Boston as a cracker town is bullshit, its just like most cities, except it acts as a target for others to scape goat.

Like KI did.

He changed the narrative from "I was a bullshitter and couldn't deliver what I had promised and quit on the team" to

if Boston boos me its because they're racist and we all know it.

And then he wiped the shit off his shoes on mid-court and provoked one moron to get the punchline he wanted.

Boston as a cracker town is bull shit... C'mon Banks...Boston has a particularly nasty racist past...

just because all of America is racist, doesn't absolve Boston from it's racism or being called out for its racism - by KI or anyone else....Boston is racist.  More or less than any number of other cities, but clearly racist.  Southie and bussing were very extreme , the Charles Stewart case happened in Boston in the 80's....that absolutely distinguishes Boston and not in a good way... 

and as for someone stepping on an image on basketball court...at some point we have to start acting like adults - I mean really?  ....who the fuck cares.....

Pages: 1 ... 1270 1271 [1272] 1273 1274 ... 1847