Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1407 1408 [1409] 1410 1411 ... 1852

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 1019417 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #21120 on: November 02, 2021, 12:59:40 PM »

1Q:
TOR ballhandling is terrible.  So they wind up taking tough contested shots.
They do get up on guys on D.  SVi in particular has been battling Randle and draped all over Fournier.     
2Q
Knix continue bombing in 3's, a la the CHI game, including a Randle banker and Kemba ending the half with a front-rim-backboard kiss-and drop in 3.
TOR plays hard.
Trent looking smooth.
I thought he was excellent his last year in POR and a steal in the trade for Powell.  But POR needed wing defense more than another smallish shooter/scorer.  So good trade for both teams.  Both players got paid well, as I recall.

3Q
Knix getting sloppy.  Randle losing focus. 
RJB sharp.
FVV looks slow and plodding.  You think he could bully Kemba.
(FVV perks up mid 3Q mostly with long 3's and good passes.  Still looks slow)

OBiT enters and immediately TOR puts Kemba/ObiT into a high PnR for an easy FVV to OG oop.  Soon after Toppin overhelps in the paint unnecessarily leaving Svi open for a 3.
OG posts ObiT, gets blocked.  Nice.  A little later ObiT shoots a straight on 3 that misses the rim.  Yikes.

1:40 left 3Q, TOR inbounding with 2.7 on the shotclock.  Randle stands in the paint guarding no one.  For some reason TOR doesn't throw it to SVi wide open  at the 3 point line (backboard in the way?), so Svi cuts and blows right past a bewildered Randle for a catch and slam.  I really don't get these plays, usually transition, where Randle guards no one.  But guarding the paint and then being unaware as a guy blows past for a slam is inexplicable.  Mentally tired?

Ugly 3Q.  Knick bench didn't provide a lift.  Rose quiet.

TOR played tough.  Looked like playoff defense all night.  Especially impressed by Trent and Svi.  While Biurch did the dirty work.I think FVV knocked away two o-boards from Mitch.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
Julius
« Reply #21121 on: November 02, 2021, 01:16:37 PM »

Strange

First quarter as well as he has played, as iconic a team performance as I've seen, and everyone prospered.

Then we went from the Bird Boston Celtics to the Globetrotter Washington Generals. 

There was one possession, one lousy possession, when, after texting two friends that they owed Julius an apology, minimally, after 18 points and a bushel of rebounds and assists, in which they Knicks drove and kicked, drove and kicked, drove and kicked, ending with one trey after another, they set up in the paint, and I went "UH OH" as you could see Julius think, I'm in the groove tonight, and he went from Dr. Jekyll to Mister Hyde, as all ball movement henceforth ceased, and our Captain consciously trended into Hero Ball, dribble, back in, dribble, back in, forcing the action, people standing around, and the Raptors pounced as we went out of rhythm and began savaging us on defense.  And Julius and the Knicks racked up one turnover and mucked up possession after another, and OB began to punk JR offensively. 

And this without Scottie Barnes or Siakim.  Impressive.  Ad Nun and Trent just killed us [and to repeat a previous post, what were the Blazers thinking when they traded Trent for Powell?]

And we trended downward, reverting to pre-Thibs empowering of three point shooters. 

Big difference, Thibs did not adjust, and it took well into the second half for us to find RJ, as my snakebit hero JR made one turnover after another.

Lazy?  Not so much of effort as of THE THOUGHT PROCESS. 

And as for Thibs thought process? 

* We missed Taj

* Thibs continued to ride JR for 37 minutes.  Know he is in great condition, but really, how much sleep is he getting with a new baby, and he ain't Wilt Chamberlain, leave him some legs, Thibs. And I mean, while his stat line looked good [7-14/4-7 from trey, 22-9-5], he and Kemba were a team bleeding/leading -14 and -15 respectively.  After scoring 18 in the first quarter, he only scored 4 in the subsequent three quarters.  HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE? 

* Quickley is really struggling.  REALLY STRUGGLING, and Thibs does not want to sunder the waning confidence of one of his prize puppies, but as Gary Trent is going off, might it not be worth a look-see from Deuce McBride to see if our defensive mad dawg could stop the bleeding?  Ironically, despite an ugly 1-for-7, IQ finished the game a +7, along with Taj and Rose, tied with Julius for a team high five assists, so maybe Thibs is seeing other things, even as the shooting struggles continue. 

Curious how the entire team went into a deep funk after the first.  Let's credit the Raptors D, whether in or out of a zone, which was FUCKING SAVAGE.  Man to man they were all over our guys like ugly on an ape, not looking for help or switches as Clyde pointed out.  THEY EXERTED THEIR WILL ON US.  Impressive.  And our defense was just terrible.  Not fun to watch as a Knicks fan, OR AS THE KNICKS COACH, but a teachable moment. And again, boy did we miss Taj.   

« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 01:25:55 PM by chipstern »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #21122 on: November 02, 2021, 01:36:27 PM »

Norman Powell - salries

- full guarantee

Trent salaries

18 (team option)

Powell the better player - no doubt
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 01:38:39 PM by kidcarter8 »
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #21123 on: November 02, 2021, 02:30:20 PM »

I like Trent better than Powell.
But it matters what you need.
POR has two G's who can shoot lights out.  Weren't going to dump big money on Trent.
Have been trying to add defensive wings.  Covington, Derrick Jones Jr then Powell.
TOR needed more shooting rather than another hustle wing defender (they have Siakim and OG).  I think both teams got what they wanted out of the swap.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #21124 on: November 02, 2021, 03:26:31 PM »

1Q:
TOR ballhandling is terrible.  So they wind up taking tough contested shots.
They do get up on guys on D.  SVi in particular has been battling Randle and draped all over Fournier.     
2Q
Knix continue bombing in 3's, a la the CHI game, including a Randle banker and Kemba ending the half with a front-rim-backboard kiss-and drop in 3.
TOR plays hard.
Trent looking smooth.
I thought he was excellent his last year in POR and a steal in the trade for Powell.  But POR needed wing defense more than another smallish shooter/scorer.  So good trade for both teams.  Both players got paid well, as I recall.

3Q
Knix getting sloppy.  Randle losing focus. 
RJB sharp.
FVV looks slow and plodding.  You think he could bully Kemba.
(FVV perks up mid 3Q mostly with long 3's and good passes.  Still looks slow)

OBiT enters and immediately TOR puts Kemba/ObiT into a high PnR for an easy FVV to OG oop.  Soon after Toppin overhelps in the paint unnecessarily leaving Svi open for a 3.
OG posts ObiT, gets blocked.  Nice.  A little later ObiT shoots a straight on 3 that misses the rim.  Yikes.

1:40 left 3Q, TOR inbounding with 2.7 on the shotclock.  Randle stands in the paint guarding no one.  For some reason TOR doesn't throw it to SVi wide open  at the 3 point line (backboard in the way?), so Svi cuts and blows right past a bewildered Randle for a catch and slam.  I really don't get these plays, usually transition, where Randle guards no one.  But guarding the paint and then being unaware as a guy blows past for a slam is inexplicable.  Mentally tired?

Ugly 3Q.  Knick bench didn't provide a lift.  Rose quiet.

TOR played tough.  Looked like playoff defense all night.  Especially impressed by Trent and Svi.  While Biurch did the dirty work.I think FVV knocked away two o-boards from Mitch.

Glad you mentioned SVI.  Early on his defensive effort and physicality was so tenacious, I think it really lifted all the Raptors. 

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #21125 on: November 02, 2021, 05:00:31 PM »

I like Trent better than Powell.
But it matters what you need.
POR has two G's who can shoot lights out.  Weren't going to dump big money on Trent.
Have been trying to add defensive wings.  Covington, Derrick Jones Jr then Powell.
TOR needed more shooting rather than another hustle wing defender (they have Siakim and OG).  I think both teams got what they wanted out of the swap.

Powell is 38% for career from deep

And 50-40-90 this year (just 5 games)

2 good players

One more seasoned.  The notion that the younger guy could POP is not lost on me, as I certainly dont dislike GTJ.  Good analysis on the "helped both teams"

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #21126 on: November 03, 2021, 02:46:33 AM »

Yeah, I'll take that back.
I like both Trent and Powell.
I'm more intrigued by Trent.
But it depends what you need.
I thought Powell went from underrated to overrated, but that's often how the NBA consensus goes,
and no reason to knock a solid player.  I think Powell has tamed his earlier wildness,
but I should try to see some POR games. 

The Knick game was the best defensive game I've seen from Trent.  He was feisty and involved.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #21127 on: November 03, 2021, 02:51:35 AM »

I don't get why Dragic isn't playing.  FVV looked slow.  Flynn looked quick and decent.  But sure looked like they could have used some seasoned floor generalship, especially 1st half when they were running a go-nowhere offense and taking tough shots (frequently blocked).

Funny, I saw one half of a MIA game and Butler struggled.  Had no lift on a layup attempt that got blocked.  Had a turnover, short on a jumper or two.  Somebody blew by him for a layup.  Looked like heavy legs.  But now I see he's been otherwise killing it.  East Player of the Week.  Etc.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 02:55:26 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #21128 on: November 03, 2021, 06:32:20 AM »

Wow, PHI beat POR with both Embiid & Tobias (something CV-related -- might miss some time).  Powell was team high with 22. 
Bulldog Drummond 14 points (on 11FG), 17 Boards, 7 assists, 5 steals.  Nurk just 7 points.

POR just seems to have a ceiling with Lillard-McCollum,
Dame - CJ - Powell - Covington - Nurkic
On paper, looks promising, but they underperform every year.
Zeller, Simons, Nance, Little, Snell -- an adequate bench.
They need to make a bold move as the they can't find fill-ins that work.

Heard on the DAL broadcast: "Halleluca"
Amusing.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 06:38:33 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #21129 on: November 03, 2021, 10:59:34 AM »

Yeah, I'll take that back.
I like both Trent and Powell.
I'm more intrigued by Trent.
But it depends what you need.
I thought Powell went from underrated to overrated, but that's often how the NBA consensus goes,
and no reason to knock a solid player.  I think Powell has tamed his earlier wildness,
but I should try to see some POR games. 

The Knick game was the best defensive game I've seen from Trent.  He was feisty and involved.

Cool conversation though -a s we look at a 22-23 year old vs someone who is 28

Both second round picks - making execs appear a bit foolish.  TRENT had the pedigree - and had a GREAT 1-year at Duke.  Was puzzling at the time to see him in round 2. 

EUROS often take the first round spots off "potential" as everyone seeks the next Petrovic/Jokic/Doncic/Nowitzki...

Enjoy the day

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #21130 on: November 03, 2021, 11:05:14 AM »

POR just seems to have a ceiling with Lillard-McCollum,
Dame - CJ - Powell - Covington - Nurkic
On paper, looks promising, but they underperform every year

Can they get much of anything (toward actual winning in playoffs) from recent draftees Little, Simons, C J Elleby and Greg Brown.  Portland had high hopes for all of them.

chipstern

• View Profile
Miami
« Reply #21131 on: November 03, 2021, 12:19:45 PM »

Butler

PJ

Lowry

Some tough motherfuckers. 

Bam getting nothing but better. 

Herro back to rookie year form. 

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #21132 on: November 03, 2021, 12:54:17 PM »

Additions Markieff Morris and Caleb Martin also in the rotation

And Dedmon only played a handful of games last year

So five of their ten are new guys.  Nice realignment after an embarrassing 4-0 playoff loss to the champs.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #21133 on: November 03, 2021, 01:01:43 PM »

Bam getting nothing but better.

I know he is just 24 but I think we have seen peak BAM

Sikma and Sabonis among his comparables, so not too bad.

chipstern

• View Profile
Knicks V. Miami
« Reply #21134 on: November 03, 2021, 03:27:35 PM »

January 26

February 25

Looking forward to RJ playing his spiritual doppelganger, Jimmy Butler. 

MEANWHILE

Milwaukee

November 5

November 10

Indiana

November 3

November 15

Philly

November 8

Charlotte

November 12

AND IN A LACK Of THANKSGIVING Quadrant Of DOOM

November 23   

Lakers

November 26   

Phoenix

November 27   

Atlanta

November 30

Brooklyn

By the end of November we should have a pretty good idea of what kind of team we really have. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 03:34:29 PM by chipstern »
Pages: 1 ... 1407 1408 [1409] 1410 1411 ... 1852